Chinatown Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

marklim

Jan 4, 2006
Bukit Timah
Hey guys,

I'll be going to chinatown to snap some photos.

Will be using a 350D with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6. :embrass:

Any tips on shooting in chinatown ?

e.g Bring my (lousy) :embrass: Suntax 132Afn External Flash ?

I'll be shooting my galfren and the background of chinatown.

Any dos and donts ?

Kindly advice.

Many Thanks,
Mark ;)

Slug along a tripod / monopod if it's not too heavy. Especially if you want to capture the atmosphere when the light goes down (dusk / night).

And... watch your belongings!

Refer to this link for some ideas / viewpoint:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Im going to chinatown today too with KM Z5, hopfully will take some good pictures :D

chender said:
Im going to chinatown today too with KM Z5, hopfully will take some good pictures :D

dont forget your brolly :bsmilie:

Personally I prefer Little India, but since you're going:

1) Do visit Club Street and Ann Siang Hill area.

2) Set out early in the morning ~9am

3) Watch your highlights...esp once the sun comes up

4) Bring a Cir-pol, or an ND filter if you have one

5) Shooting in RAW helps... its quite hard to get your exposures spot-on in the bright light. But if you keep it within ~1.5 stops PS can work wonders.

6) You'll need to depend a lot on your histogram to judge your exposures cos the LCD's pretty useless in bright light. And I mean really useless.

7) Bring a hat and bottled water. You're gonna be doing quite a bit of walking if you really wanna cover the area.

Oh, and if you wanna shoot portraits bring an external flash to fill in the shadows!

haha.. i thought of going in the night.. afraid of blur pics due to slow shutter.. :(

my dear friends do not worry to much just go and shoot but my advise is to travel light. I went there like 5 time and i think there is still a lot of thing that i miss out.

marklim said:
haha.. i thought of going in the night.. afraid of blur pics due to slow shutter.. :(
What's wrong with blur? You could use it to good effect. You can also throw in a flash shot and you have movement like streak which is merged with actual stills of people or objects.

Bring a tripod to steady the shots. Imagine, a shot of all the stall from a high angle and since the stalls don;t move, they are clear and all the people moving about is capture in a flowing blur like water in a river in between all the stores.

You can also go at about 6.30 and capture the scene with the mix of evening glow and the lights from the neon lights and other lightning fixtures. So many things you can shoot. The only thing that stops you is your high expectation. But you do have to start somewhere right? no use keep getting tips and not put them to some actual use heheh...

So go....shoot...good or bad....you do need the practice if you are a "noobie"

sammy888 said:
What's wrong with blur? You could use it to good effect. You can also throw in a flash shot and you have movement like streak which is merged with actual stills of people or objects.

Bring a tripod to steady the shots. Imagine, a shot of all the stall from a high angle and since the stalls don;t move, they are clear and all the people moving about is capture in a flowing blur like water in a river in between all the stores.

You can also go at about 6.30 and capture the scene with the mix of evening glow and the lights from the neon lights and other lightning fixtures. So many things you can shoot. The only thing that stops you is your high expectation. But you do have to start somewhere right? no use keep getting tips and not put them to some actual use heheh...

So go....shoot...good or bad....you do need the practice if you are a "noobie"

woot! very good advice. :thumbsup:

hmm.. i will be trying what sammy888 said. however, if i want to caputre a picture of my gal, then how to minimize blurring?? :(

marklim said:
hmm.. i will be trying what sammy888 said. however, if i want to caputre a picture of my gal, then how to minimize blurring?? :(
Call me along, I help you shoot your gal :sticktong

Open up large aperture, pump up ISO and practise good hand-held holding.

marklim said:

Follow what espn mentioned too heh.. You should check out some of his example in his link to see that without using a flash you can still shoot in the night.

If anything looking at what he shot, you must know stalls will be well lit too. They have to. They need to make sure people see what they sell heheh.. If you are using a DSLR and you can up the ISO abit more, I see no reason why you should not. At this point if you are new to night shooting. Don;t put so much pressure on yourself to straight away get any good shots the first time you do it. I have been to Chinatown and have yet to shoot anything I like so far. Sometime it is luck if you are at the right place at the right time....you could get lucky the first time at it too.

Have you seen some of those movie shots or protrait..etc. They sometime use grainy effect give the picture that old or rustic or moody mode. It works kinda well with those single light source or where you find isolated light sources that mix with shadow and dim lit faces or side lighting...Well that is just some bits here and there. The things is to look beyond just thinking within what your camera can do. You have to learn to look with your mind/eyes way before you bring your camera up to your eye to shot heheh... Camera is a tool. The idea and creative comes from you. Think it up then work it in your mind and then work out how you want to shoot that shot with your camera.

If you are not able to capture a picture that is well lit in the background while shooting picture of your girlfriend, then make sure that at the very least, take some shots of her with the flash even if the flash might over power the lower lit background. At least you have something heh. Hint: Try to open up abit more with the apeture ( don;t be too overly concern about depth of field so much) Get her to hold her pose alot more rigid then usual to compensate for the longer exposure time like 1/15 or even abit longer. If it is a strain on her facial expression to hold it too long. Get her to take a break. YOu can get her to do this before you shoot. Something I use to do when I go fashion shoot eon ago. Get her to close her eyes, relax and not smile. Then when you are ready, ask her to open her eyes and smile and look into the camera. She would be relax enough that her eyes and smile will look very natural and she can hold it abit longer and still for the longer exposure time.

You can also use fill-in flash but set to Shutter Speed prority but set it to about 1/3. You can also maybe use ISO 400. The thing is to experiment lah. With a DSLR you can preview on the spot if you got it right or not. Take a few more shots of each pose if you have to so you can bring them home to take a look at them and learn to improve by looking over what you did right or wrong. If you take all bad shots..so what...heheh not the end of the world lah.

Enjoy the learning process.....and you will be on your way to shooting as good as espn. He talk the talk of an amature but look at what he shoots , you know he is alot wiser then he lets on 99% of the time heh.. Study his shoots for some ideas.

Wow.. :bigeyes:

One long + good + chim + professional advice.

Lolx.. Thanks. I'll try to do all those. :bsmilie:

Hopefully i get some good shots.

Cheers,
Mark :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.