Chinatown Photo Contest - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

Results are out. The 8 finalists are now published in today's (24/02/02) Chinese Papers. Not very impressive, I'd say. I should have submitted if I knew the general standard is going to be like that. Even the cliche shot of food street shot from the 2nd floor hawker centre made it in.

Go check it out.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Hi,

Results are out. The 8 finalists are now published in today's (24/02/02) Chinese Papers. Not very impressive, I'd say. I should have submitted if I knew the general standard is going to be like that. Even the cliche shot of food street shot from the 2nd floor hawker centre made it in.

Go check it out.

Regards
CK

LoL. General standard siah..hehehe
:D

Originally posted by ckiang
Hi,

Go check it out.

Regards
CK
Saw the 8 photos on newspaper, some are nice (not sure how good they are) but some, :angry: wonder how it can be selected as finalist. I have seen better photo posted in this forum.:cry:

If no copyright issue, I would have taken your photo to submit and win the prize for you. Err, I keep the prize for efford and you keep the trophy for photo, hehe.:D

Originally posted by Kevin
Saw the 8 photos on newspaper, some are nice (not sure how good they are) but some, :angry: wonder how it can be selected as finalist. I have seen better photo posted in this forum.:cry:

If no copyright issue, I would have taken your photo to submit and win the prize for you. Err, I keep the prize for efford and you keep the trophy for photo, hehe.:D

I didn't even submit any here, coz I didn't think they are good enough (but ziploc's were pretty good to me). Some of them are so run-of-the-mill, like the shot of food street from the hawker centre, which everybody who goes Chinatown will shoot.

Then there's this shot of the restaurant opposite the hawker centre, nothing special - Red Dawn has a better intepretation here:

CRW_3082L.jpg

Yup, most of them looked quite ordinary to me. Maybe my standards are too high, higher than the judges :p Or maybe those were the best of the worst submitted, given the relatively short time frame for submission.

Regards
CK

Basket, should've just anyhow sent a photo in. :D

The judges' comments (in the same article) was that the standard is not high. There were a few good ones but most weren't up to expectations. They have received >400 entries.

you know . is very funny . there is so much contest going on and every time . people would comment that standard not very high .

but at the end of the days .
only hardworking people and people who give a damn get the prize .

is the effort that count . you can snap the best photo in the world . but lazy to send in for a contest . you would never win any prize .

those who won . is those who give a damn .
and spend the time to post in the entry .

keep it real .

How about people who just snap, have no standard, are thick skinned enough to send their photos in, and hence the resulting comments?

Originally posted by YSLee
How about people who just snap, have no standard, are thick skinned enough to send their photos in, and hence the resulting comments?

I don't think it is fair to call them thick-skinned. They are people who dare to try....and in the process they will improve.

Life is always about those who dare to try. Anybody with hindsight can always perform better, but it is the person with foresight that gets the prize.

Hey, there are plenty of shameless people in the world. Don't ever underestimate them. :p

Originally posted by lucifer
you know . is very funny . there is so much contest going on and every time . people would comment that standard not very high .

but at the end of the days .
only hardworking people and people who give a damn get the prize .

is the effort that count . you can snap the best photo in the world . but lazy to send in for a contest . you would never win any prize .

those who won . is those who give a damn .
and spend the time to post in the entry .

keep it real .

don't know if anybody realised, but there's quite a bit of truth in wat was said here.

Totally agree....let's not sound like sour grapes...if we want to see higher standard, then guys...send in your masterpiece next time....

Originally posted by Red Dawn

don't know if anybody realised, but there's quite a bit of truth in wat was said here.

Indeed, there is. Next time, just send. Don't care liao. Being overly critical of one's work may not be a good thing. ;p

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.