China

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickygck

Sep 20, 2004
Asia
captureasia.photoshelter.com
I hope there will be a subforums for China soon. Plenty of places to go like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Kunming, Macau etc.

Let's start off from Beijing. Where are the 'Must go places'?

Beijing will probably be

- Summer Palace
- Forbidden Palace
- Great wall
- Tian Tan
- Olympic Stadium
- Yong he Gong.
- Beihai Park

If going in autumn, i think should try to get a day trip to "Xiang shan" for maple leafs.

Beijing will probably be

- Summer Palace
- Forbidden Palace
- Great wall
- Tian Tan
- Olympic Stadium
- Yong he Gong.
- Beihai Park

If going in autumn, i think should try to get a day trip to "Xiang shan" for maple leafs.

As a Chinese, I don't think Beijing is most famous for its scenery or architecture, it's well known for its culture, just go around the city to take pics for the people. ;)

As I'm not much of a writer, instead of long write ups.

Do you guys welcome a short intro of the place with posting/sharing of some pics of the various places?

I hope there will be a subforums for China soon. Plenty of places to go like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Kunming, Macau etc.

There are so much to see in Beijing but the Hutong (the alleys and courtyard) is my favorite.

Some pictures taken from Hutong.
aag.sized.jpg

aak.sized.jpg

aak.sized.jpg

I only had an hour each night, so first night at the bird's nest, the next night at tian an men area. all stitched from between 2-5 shots using a 50/1.8. (i hope the pictures load.) :)

birdsnest1.jpg

meetingplace1.jpg

memorialthing1.jpg

tamsq1.jpg

ok, i'm having problems getting them to a bigger size..well, i'll see what i can do. =(

Last edited:
3568571499_e211cbbcd6.jpg

3568569751_5bdd0d092f.jpg

3569378658_7cf281aefa.jpg

3560007260_08e920d771.jpg

3559190287_674471963a.jpg

There are so much to see in Beijing but the Hutong (the alleys and courtyard) is my favorite.

Some pictures taken from Hutong.
aag.sized.jpg

aak.sized.jpg

aak.sized.jpg

I like these....they are great.:thumbsup:
Personally, I like the less touristy places that a city can offer.
Any interesting places in Beijing that can reflect the every life of the people there?

anymore people can share their experiences in beijing?

Looking to go there for a week via Tianjin during April next year.

As a Chinese, I don't think Beijing is most famous for its scenery or architecture, it's well known for its culture, just go around the city to take pics for the people. ;)

Isn't architecture part of a culture?

Is it a good time to go Beijing during the nov-dec period? For accomodation where to stay if accessiblity and living environment is reasonable? not talking about high class hotels here :)

is it easy to get around in Beijing Free and easy?
Planning for a 7d 6 night trip..in Mar /Apr

i wanna visit the following places

1) Great Wall
2) TianAnMeng
3) Forbibben Palace
4) "Bird Nest" Stadium
5) still searching what to see...

is it easy to get around in Beijing Free and easy?
Planning for a 7d 6 night trip..in Mar /Apr

i wanna visit the following places

1) Great Wall
2) TianAnMeng
3) Forbibben Palace
4) "Bird Nest" Stadium
5) still searching what to see...

its very easy to travel in Beijing, most easy way is to take cab. but if u dun wanna spend too much, take the tourist bus, but most of the time they only operate during weekends , so suggest u vist place within the city during weekday, and go to the great wall (normally far away from the city and abt 3-4hr of travelling) during weekends.
7 days is over kill to just visit these place.

location 1 - 1 day ( there are a few part of the great wall, personally I dun like ba da ling, suggest u go visit "si ma tai" ,and "mu tian yu", any one place will take up 1 day)
location 2, 3 - 0.5 day ( if u are muesum goer , spend more time at forbidden palace, add in Tian tan to make it 1 day )
location 4 - 0.5 day or less ( add in the shui li fang)

other location - yuan ming yuan, yi he yuan , yong he gong, (all 3 location can be done togather within 1 day)

if u have 2-3days spare, maybe can take a train to go to "bei dai he" aka "qin huang dao" , "shan hai guan", that is the start of the great wall from the east , the only part of the great wall connected to sea. (need to stay 1 nite there)

Beijing is a very big city. Some links for you to work on. Buy a 一卡通 (similar to our ez link card) @ many subways and that allow you to take the BJ subway for a flat fare of RMB 2 and city bus for just RMB 0.40 only flat fare. Check places of interest using ctrip and then check public transport routes (both bus and subway routes) using 8684 websites. Hope this help you to plan a nice stay in Beijing. Try to make a day trip to Tianjin taking the chinese bullet from beijing south station.

http://destguides.ctrip.com/china/beijing/district1/

http://8684.cn/

I need help in planning a grad trip.

Thus far, there are 10 of us going FIRSTLY to Yunnan on a guided trip for 8 days (this part is fixed) before we proceed to fly to another major city in China (via internal flight) for a free and easy 4-5 days trip. We are going for less than 14 days in total starting in the 4th Week of May.

The thing is: which city can we visit? It should prefably be contrasting to Yunnan (which is mainly scenic).

I've two place in mind: Beijing and Shanghai.

The concerns are:
Beijing (more things to see, e.g. great wall & forbidden city but few of us visited before)
Shanghai (might be more ex and shanghai expo is up in may which may affect the hotel rates)

Thanks!

I need help in planning a grad trip.

Thus far, there are 10 of us going FIRSTLY to Yunnan on a guided trip for 8 days (this part is fixed) before we proceed to fly to another major city in China (via internal flight) for a free and easy 4-5 days trip. We are going for less than 14 days in total starting in the 4th Week of May.

The thing is: which city can we visit? It should prefably be contrasting to Yunnan (which is mainly scenic).

I've two place in mind: Beijing and Shanghai.

The concerns are:
Beijing (more things to see, e.g. great wall & forbidden city but few of us visited before)
Shanghai (might be more ex and shanghai expo is up in may which may affect the hotel rates)

Thanks!

Quite a big group you have. For 4-5 days, a nice place to cover will be Xian. You can move around easily in the city using public transport and visit the places indicated in the link below. This is a website with a lot of details and recommendation from feebacks. It is in Chinese. The English version not that good.

http://destguides.ctrip.com/china/xian/district7/package.html

Or Beijing as in the link below. The place is vast and managing a big group like yours will be problematic.

http://destguides.ctrip.com/china/beijing/district1/package2.html

And the following website displays the routes of many major chinese cities. Done with the above 2 will help youo to plan your trips in many major chinese cities.

http://www.8684.cn/

Hope these info helps. There are many other sites hosted by local authorities if you google the place. Once you've the necessary info, moving around in the major chinese cities DIY is not a problem. You may book local tours but exercise caution and don't get chopped.

Do note that now Beijing is still very cold, below 0 degree, so need bring winter clothings. Shanghai is about 18 degree, but the temperature can turn cold overnight.

Quite a big group you have. For 4-5 days, a nice place to cover will be Xian. You can move around easily in the city using public transport and visit the places indicated in the link below. This is a website with a lot of details and recommendation from feebacks. It is in Chinese. The English version not that good.

http://destguides.ctrip.com/china/xian/district7/package.html

Or Beijing as in the link below. The place is vast and managing a big group like yours will be problematic.

http://destguides.ctrip.com/china/beijing/district1/package2.html

And the following website displays the routes of many major chinese cities. Done with the above 2 will help youo to plan your trips in many major chinese cities.

http://www.8684.cn/

Hope these info helps. There are many other sites hosted by local authorities if you google the place. Once you've the necessary info, moving around in the major chinese cities DIY is not a problem. You may book local tours but exercise caution and don't get chopped.

Thanks for the advice! Will check out the website.

Do note that now Beijing is still very cold, below 0 degree, so need bring winter clothings. Shanghai is about 18 degree, but the temperature can turn cold overnight.

Do note that I'm going late May not now bro! Thanks for your reminder anyway. :)

I hope there will be a subforums for China soon.

dun think so. traffic is already low to split into a travel discussion subforum, let alone to split again. besides, there are plenty other countries large and fascinating, so dun think we should just single out just china.

Plenty of places to go like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Kunming, Macau etc.

must go mean different things to different ppl. for example, great wall and yangtze are not must go for me if i go china. but i will rather pick the hutong, qinhuang masoleum and tiananmen as i deemed them more photogenic. that said, other ppl may find great wall more photogenic.

just like how lonely planet list their top 10 locations of a certain genre in each country guide book, you may want to define a certain thing u yourself is interested in and then zoom down accordingly

Status
Not open for further replies.