China - Yunnnan

yamcake

Aug 11, 2003
Hi all,

planning a trip to China kunming in late july till aug. abou 14 days..

Gg to Dali - Lijiang - Shangrila - Deqin. Not stoping at Kunming as its too city-like already.

so any recommendations on the little towns nearby these places i can do a day visit? Wish to see more of a real yun nan, not the touristy stuff...

thanks!

There's a lake at Dali, need quite a bit of bumpy travel by road. A temple and a bridge in the middle of the lake, you can see the local fishermen bringing in their catch and laying some small fishes out to dry. You can also catch the daily lifestyles of the women going about their chores.
DSC-6565-1IR2800.jpg

DSC-6581-2-2H2800.jpg

DSC-6575-1DT800.jpg

DSC-6584-1800.jpg

LiJiang - Along the streets catch the locals, especially females in various traditional costumes of the various ethnic groups.

DSC-6721-1-1800.jpg

DSC-6605-1-1800.jpg

DSC-6739-1-1800.jpg

DSC-7138-1800.jpg

Hi all,

Gg to Dali - Lijiang - Shangrila - Deqin. Not stoping at Kunming as its too city-like already.

so any recommendations on the little towns nearby these places i can do a day visit? Wish to see more of a real yun nan, not the touristy stuff...

thanks!

If you don't intend to stop by Kunming, you probably have quite a number of days to spare. Can consider travelling to Yu Peng villages. If you prefer a less touristy side of Lijiang, spend 1/2 a day in ShuHe Old town, I personally like the night of shuhe better than Lijiang.

Don't miss the street life in the lanes lined with shops

#9 RMB10/- per basket
DSC-7019-1800.jpg

DSC-6718-1800.jpg

#11 Their version of our Boat Quay. Lined with Pubs
DSC-6994-1800.jpg

#12 Having Eagles/Hawks as pets are common among the elderly.
DSC-7020-1800.jpg

Last edited:
Go for the outdoor show. Staged by 500 men, women and 100 horses. Choreographed by the famous Chinese director who did the Beijing Olympics (forgot his name).
DSC-6908-1800.jpg

Also there's the indoor Peacock Dance. Be careful if you want to shoot as photography is not allowed. If they catch you shooting they'll point a laser at you and tell you to stop. I managed some shots without flash as they are looking out for people who shoot with flash.
DSC-7554-1800.jpg

DSC-7545-2800.jpg

DSC-7559-1800.jpg

When in Shangri-La, a must visit place is the Mini Potala. Join in the local and tourists to turn the great big bell for good luck

DSC-7212-1800.jpg

When in Shangri-La, a must visit place is the Mini Potala. Join in the local and tourists to turn the great big bell for good luck

DSC-7212-1800.jpg

The bell is not in Mini Potala I believe, it's on that Gui Shan or something in the middle of Shangrila old town. Pitty I went during the winter, the town was more or less closed, very quiet.

I've just went to Yunnan in December, you can check out my photos at http://www.ervinelin.com/?p=207.

Here are some snippets:
3183600415_0aeb6da26d_o.jpg

3183610299_910a2d0db4_o.jpg

3184450258_cb70d2e674_o.jpg

3183622513_19797a28a0_o.jpg

I did go to Kunming as I have friend working there, so we bunked in with them. Yes it's city like but there are still things to see and do and places to photograph.

I would skip Dali as it's THE MOST touristy of all, Lijiang although touristy is much more pleasant a town to visit. Once at Lijiang, you can consider staying in the more remote villages of Bai Sa or Lu Ge. Lijiang old town itself is interesting, but way too many people.

Shangrila do spend a day at the Song Zan Lin Si. Yes it's a tourist destination but the architecture is still rather rustic, bring sunblock, very easy to get sunburnt. There will be "guides" you can choose to follow them or not, the locals managed to bargain them down a fair bit so we tagged along.

In Shangrila old town itself, go over to the underdeveloped side of town, climb some hills and get yourself a little lost. The city itself didn't have much to offer me.

One word of advice, there are tourist traps EVERYWHERE.. and I mean it. Wanted to see old villages, the driver we hired brought us to those tourist traps, wanted to see temples, we got sucked into money swindling fortune telling monks, wanted to see a lake got pressured into taking a horse ride, etc etc etc. So take everything they say they will show you with a pinch of salt and stand firm with what you want.

If you ask me, the best way is to get someone to just drop you off at a village, then explore it by yourself. Have fun, be safe and happy shooting!

The bell is not in Mini Potala I believe, it's on that Gui Shan or something in the middle of Shangrila old town. Pitty I went during the winter, the town was more or less closed, very quiet.

You're right. My mistake.

Hi all,

thanks!

If you have no plans to visit Stone Forest, then visit Western Mountain just outside Kunming. It has a mini Stone Forest.It's a touristy place though.

Hi all,

thanks!

according to the local that I keep contacting it is going to be raining season. :(

You can go to earth forest(元谋土林), stone forest and esp yanyang but now not in the season.

HTH

Last edited:
according to the local that I keep contacting it is going to be raining season. :(

You can go to earth forest(元谋土林), stone forest and esp yanyang but now not in the season.

HTH

I remember talking to a local photographer there about 元谋土林, he says it's beautiful. Also he mentioned another place near Kunming, some "xian jing". Can't recall where. But I think the beauty of Yunnan really lies in the people and culture there.

I remember talking to a local photographer there about 元谋土林, he says it's beautiful. Also he mentioned another place near Kunming, some "xian jing". Can't recall where. But I think the beauty of Yunnan really lies in the people and culture there.

九乡 Jiuxiang is 90km away for kunming a very interesting cave.
“九乡溶洞九十九,数完溶洞白了头”

can i ask what is the weather like in Shangrila? (during Aug..)
Anyone been to Deqin? the last town before the tibetian border.

I think maybe we just touch Dali and go, dont need to spend too much time there too..
Hmm, thanks for the inputs, will go look those villages up... cool cool..

its quite sad such a nice place had developed to be so touristy and "fake"... wish to see the more authentic side of life..

tempted to bring alot of equipment there too.. MF film, 35mm film, Dslr.. the list goes on.. hahaha

can i ask what is the weather like in Shangrila? (during Aug..)

I am together with 4 photographers all fully load with 20kg of equipment on a 11 seats Benz.

May to Oct is raining season temperature around avg 12℃ to 18℃,(now I check is 13 ℃ to 28℃) if you go north temperature drop further. I usually engage the local driver and ask them to bring us to those market area etc.

But be careful of strong wind there.

Below for your reference :cool:

鸡足山朝山会
时间:农历正月初一至十五

葛根会
时间:农历正月初五

巍宝山朝山歌会
时间:农历二月初一至十五日

三月街
时间:农历三月十五日至二十一日

蝴蝶会
时间:农历四月十五日