China Photography Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
Just wondering is it safe to travel with a DSLR in Hangzhou and Shanghai? After chatting with a fellow Cser last week, abit hesistant to take my stuff there for my 4 day trip :think:

Klose said:
Just wondering is it safe to travel with a DSLR in Hangzhou and Shanghai? After chatting with a fellow Cser last week, abit hesistant to take my stuff there for my 4 day trip :think:

No problem lar.....the more you listen the worst it gets.

Have travelled so many times without a hitch....so go for it lar.

Pro Image said:
No problem lar.....the more you listen the worst it gets.

Have travelled so many times without a hitch....so go for it lar.

My first trip to china :sweat:

well, just exercise your usual precautions lor. if what you worry is always true, then all photographers in china have to hire their personal body guards liao. relax & enjoy your trip lah. :)

I was in Hangzhou, Shouzhou, Nanjing, and Shanghai for 10 days.

Yes! It is dangerous for you to bring your DSLR. It is a lot safer in your dry box locked up. While you are there, you might forget to take it away, and present it as a gift to the cleaners. Or the precious DSLR might slip from your hands and hit the concrete. The straps might break while you are cruising on Westlake. And the pickpockets might just decide your DSLR might be something worth stealing and risk incurring the draconian punishment if they are caught.

I was very careless! I showed my DSLR everywhere! I put my DSLR on the buses floor. Oh, I also forgot to say that I also had my Canon 1V with the very rare Angenieux zoom lens. My Canon 1V did not received special treatment.

Thankfully despite the abuse I gave my cameras, they came back with me safely.

Then I took my DSLR on a trip to Tuscany. This time partnered by a Leica R6.2. The cameras went with me walking into hotsprings and climbing slippery slopes. I made some some lovely photos which I showed on CS.

Thankfully they survived

And this Friday they will join me again in Beijing.

student said:
I was in Hangzhou, Shouzhou, Nanjing, and Shanghai for 10 days.

Yes! It is dangerous for you to bring your DSLR. It is a lot safer in your dry box locked up. While you are there, you might forget to take it away, and present it as a gift to the cleaners. Or the precious DSLR might slip from your hands and hit the concrete. The straps might break while you are cruising on Westlake. And the pickpockets might just decide your DSLR might be something worth stealing and risk incurring the draconian punishment if they are caught.

I was very careless! I showed my DSLR everywhere! I put my DSLR on the buses floor. Oh, I also forgot to say that I also had my Canon 1V with the very rare Angenieux zoom lens. My Canon 1V did not received special treatment.

Thankfully despite the abuse I gave my cameras, they came back with me safely.

Then I took my DSLR on a trip to Tuscany. This time partnered by a Leica R6.2. The cameras went with me walking into hotsprings and climbing slippery slopes. I made some some lovely photos which I showed on CS.

Thankfully they survived

And this Friday they will join me again in Beijing.

So, the moral of the story, Klose. Just bring it! But pls buy travel insurance... :bsmilie:

Travel insurance only cover up to $1000 per item. That is the max I have seen. Average is around $500.

A pro (travel a lot in SE Asia) once told me a way to stop your camera from being stolen. Put a PVC Tape (yellow, green, blue colour, etc.) on your camera to make it look like the PVC tape is use to stop some parts of your camera from fulling off. Who want to steal a camera that is going to full apart. This type of camera cannot get a good value in the 2nd hand market. So most pickpockets would not be interested in it.

Oh yes. I'm going to China too. On the last week of next month.

I went Shanghai & other places in China twice this year with my DSLR.
Luckily nothing happened to me. ;p

theres always risks involved. I think there are some good suggestions by others already. Buy travel insurance even though it does not cover you fully. At least its better than nothing, and gives some peace of mind, even in the most unfortunate event that it gets stolen. Besides it covers you for other protection as well. Secondly, if you buy dslr and dont bring it overseas to shoot, I think its a terrible waste, unless you have no interest for travel photography at all. Even if I only have 2-3 hrs spare time on a business trip, i will not hesistate to bring my gear, because you only have limited opportunities to visit a place, and you will regret more if you experience a wonderful sight or people but fail to capture it. That said, just take precaution and be concious of the environment at all times. Having a monopod handy is useful to ward off any potential danger.

Klose said:

Even in singapore also unsafe what... try leave your camera in an resturant for 5 min and see what happen.... you will need to get help from clubsnap liao....:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

must tk good care
mayb dun consume poultry stuffs

juz enjoy ba :) ..
dun worry, be happy
by friend will be goin to china too ..

yo bro , everything is dangerous if u are not brave enough to overcome it . I believe photography sometimes require abit of risking here and there to capture what others have been missing ...

so just go with yr heart thats what i truely believes .

gd luck :)

Don't worry bro, just bring your cam and fire away.

Are you going on a group trip or just alone?

If you're travelling alone, just be more vigilant and be more aware of your surroundings.

If you're in a group, normally you should be fine.

Now, start thinking more abt the pictures you're going to get......;)

i was travelling in china for 8months last year... been to tibet, yunnan, sichuan, dunhuang, qinghai, xian, lanzhou, beijing, yangshuo, guangdong, guizhou, haerbin and hk.... nobody show interest on my camera...:dunno: too lousy maybe :sweat: and hate those ppl who act pro and show no respect when they shoot with a expensive dslr...:angry:

Thanks for all the advise guys, what the fellow cser told me was that there are ppl who come a snatch ur cam body from you while u are taking photos :bigeyes:

Erm... hearsay or there's a 1st hand real life encounter by the person involved? :think:

jsbn said:
Erm... hearsay or there's a 1st hand real life encounter by the person involved? :think:

hearsay :sweat: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Den I guess u can take dat piece of advice as toilet paper.

But den again, as per all trips, exercise discretion, common sense and tacticality. :)

Enjoy ya trip.

jsbn said:
Den I guess u can take dat piece of advice as toilet paper.

But den again, as per all trips, exercise discretion, common sense and tacticality. :)

Enjoy ya trip.

Actually cannot enjoy yet. My RQ havent approve my leave :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.