China : JiuzhaiGou/HuangLong/Leshan/EmeiShan/Hailougou

I chose to stay inside the park where I can start walking as early as light is available. :)
Here is a map for your ref, pls note the internal bus transport stop at 1600hrs from the forest and gate closed at 1800hrs.
Park management might close certain route and stop bus service if they find the snow and conditions not allow.

00041a391-0.jpg

200911162314004857500.gif

I chose to stay inside the park where I can start walking as early as light is available. :)
Here is a map for your ref, pls note the internal bus transport stop at 1600hrs from the forest and gate closed at 1800hrs.
Park management might close certain route and stop bus service if they find the snow and conditions not allowed.
inside the park got hotels?

inside the park got hotels?
Nope, there is no hotel. You will have to stay (illegally) at a local's home. From what I read online, it is not cheap and you will get caught very easily. But if you get caught all you have to do is pay.

I find it pointless during winter as it is cold, and the sun rises late and sets early. I don't miss much if I enter the gates when it opens at 7am and reach my first destination at 7:20am. The sky starts to turn dark at 4:30pm so there is no point staying inside much longer. The place is like a nature reserve so there is no light at night. It is probably dangerous to venture out after dark.

I would rather stay in a proper hotel outside, enjoy a hot shower after the long day and eat some nice Sichuan food...

Last edited:
Nope, there is no hotel. You will have to stay (illegally) at a local's home. From what I read online, it is not cheap and you will get caught very easily. But if you get caught all you have to do is pay.

I find it pointless during winter as it is cold, and the sun rises late and sets early. I don't miss much if I enter the gates when it opens at 7am and reach my first destination at 7:20am. The sky starts to turn dark at 4:30pm so there is no point staying inside much longer. The place is like a nature reserve so there is no light at night. It is probably dangerous to venture out after dark.

I would rather stay in a proper hotel outside, enjoy a hot shower after the long day and eat some nice Sichuan food...
That's true. There's some hotels, including the 5-star Sheraton Hotel within walking distance just outside the main entrance to the park reserve.

well if there are visible stars at night that might change things for me! then again it might be difficult to shoot them with proper foreground elements if you're not supposed to be conspicuous.

mayhemics said:
well if there are visible stars at night that might change things for me! then again it might be difficult to shoot them with proper foreground elements if you're not supposed to be conspicuous.

The place is too foggy to see stars. In fact the region is known to have >50% flight delays due to low visibility.

Go during summer for blue skies, less rain, more flowing water and less flight delays.
49760921.jpg

;)

Last edited:
I went to Huanglong in end Oct 2008 during my Jiuzhaigou trip. Contrary to some of the others' experiences here, I loved the place. It was very tough climbing up very well built walkway to the top due to the lack of oxygen but the scenery was spectacular. I didn't even make it to the temple because our tour guide kept hurrying us to return to the entrance so that we can depart in time.
original.jpg

Wow, very awesome picture you have taken. Good job.

I also skip Huanglong during my last month trip to JZG. But continued north west to Ruo Er Gai grassland, 1st bend of Yellow River, and it was extreme cold weather at the grassland, most of the hotels were closed, our guesthouse had no water for shower :-(

It was an unforgetable trip (as this was also our pre-wedding trip)

Remote but beautiful!

MapsPicscopy.jpg

More photos at [TRAVEL] Into the Wilderness Dream 带着婚纱去旅行 | Facebook

Video is here http://vimeo.com/33231105

Happy traveling!

Last edited: