Children...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fst11

Aug 29, 2008
Hi guys, i am new to this... but hope to see where i am...

attached is pict without any form of adjustment from the PS...

pls advise.;)

Short write up of this pict:
Having a dinner w some friends, the children are gather together thus try to snap some natural pose of hovering the dinning table...

I am using a D60; ISO 1600 (due to the lighting condition; dun really like flash cos too bright); f/3.5; shutter - 1/25s.

Sorry i forget to write the guildline...
1) photo layout?
2) the feel of tis pict?
3) any room for improvment? ie. lighting? need flash or not etc etc...

I am really new at this thing hope can help to improved overall... thanks...

Last edited:
This comes across as a snapshot, without much thought put into proper execution or the final product.

First off, white balance is really bad. Everyone looks like they've got jaundice.

Three subjects, all clamouring for attention, and nothing to link them or make the compositional choice to include three subjects justifiable. The composition is weak and absent-minded too, with the front-most girl having one hand partially chopped off.

All the expressions are also not flattering, to say the least; the front-most girl looks unaware, the second baby looks afraid and the third kid is blurred because of a slow shutter speed and her moving her head. Just imagine, if these kids grew up and saw these photos in an album, would they treasure it as happy memories, or cringe at how "unglam" they looked.

There are a surprising amount of things to look out for in candid photography.

This comes across as a snapshot, without much thought put into proper execution or the final product.

First off, white balance is really bad. Everyone looks like they've got jaundice. This pic was taken in a yellow light condition thus everyone like got jaundice but is there any chance to improved on it? I din really do any touch up to the pict

Three subjects, all clamouring for attention, and nothing to link them or make the compositional choice to include three subjects justifiable. The composition is weak and absent-minded too, with the front-most girl having one hand partially chopped off. Noted of your pointers... The main purpose of this pict was to snap their facial expression, din really get them to pose but by they way they wont even know how to cos all under 2 yrs old. ;)

All the expressions are also not flattering, to say the least; the front-most girl looks unaware, the second baby looks afraid and the third kid is blurred because of a slow shutter speed and her moving her head. Just imagine, if these kids grew up and saw these photos in an album, would they treasure it as happy memories, or cringe at how "unglam" they looked.

There are a surprising amount of things to look out for in candid photography.

Thanks Calebk...

see my reply to your pointers... i will take note of them in future pict.

You can correct the yellow cast by using the correct white balance.

You can correct the yellow cast by using the correct white balance.

Hmm ... ok ok... my setting is using auto for the white balance. is there another setting to it for D60?;p

Hmm ... ok ok... my setting is using auto for the white balance. is there another setting to it for D60?;p

Yes. Please read your manual.

Hi,

Here's my 2-cents worth:

1) White balance can be easily corrected via post-processing software. You may want to consider getting a software to do quick and simple post-processing work as well as to organise your pictures. Lightroom comes to mind. You can get hold of a book on Lightroom from the library to give you an idea of what it can do.

2) Hands cut-offs or other cut-offs are common mistakes most of us make in the beginning. Don't be unduly discouraged. Sometimes, you can do some cropping to make it less glaring. Read up on composition to help you with this. Above software also come with cropping capability that is quite simple to use.

3) Facial expressions of kids. I like these unplanned expressions. It really captured the moment. In 20 years time, the "kids" would be very much amused by their antics when they were young. Keep on capturing these moments :bsmilie:

Thanks Calebk...

see my reply to your pointers... i will take note of them in future pict.

Good Attempt tho' . kids are the toughest for me too. Naturally they don't sit still so avoid low shutter speeds.

Keep practising!

Considering the factors provided in your case, I would reduce the Kelvin to probably 3800 so gives more bluish to the yellow ambient light.

Watch out for the camera shakes and sudden kids movements - I make that errors sometimes too.

Just wait until the kids are still than snap- like a sniper at the trigger.

Try it out ! Let me know if it works for you.

Good Attempt tho' . kids are the toughest for me too. Naturally they don't sit still so avoid low shutter speeds.

Keep practising!

Considering the factors provided in your case, I would reduce the Kelvin (wat is kelvin? can u help?;p) to probably 3800 so gives more bluish to the yellow ambient light.

Watch out for the camera shakes and sudden kids movements - I make that errors sometimes too.

Just wait until the kids are still than snap- like a sniper at the trigger.

Try it out ! Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks for the valuable tips...

Hi,

Here's my 2-cents worth:

1) White balance can be easily corrected via post-processing software. You may want to consider getting a software to do quick and simple post-processing work as well as to organise your pictures. Lightroom comes to mind. You can get hold of a book on Lightroom from the library to give you an idea of what it can do.

2) Hands cut-offs or other cut-offs are common mistakes most of us make in the beginning. Don't be unduly discouraged. Sometimes, you can do some cropping to make it less glaring. Read up on composition to help you with this. Above software also come with cropping capability that is quite simple to use.

3) Facial expressions of kids. I like these unplanned expressions. It really captured the moment. In 20 years time, the "kids" would be very much amused by their antics when they were young. Keep on capturing these moments :bsmilie:

Thank you very much for your tips on the cut offs... will bear tat in mind the next round i snap them ... ;)

Try as much to use a flash especially with children cos you dont wanna use low shutter speeds with them. You never know when they gonna twitch. Done several kid's birthdays and gatherings at Kindergartens- there wasnt a time where they will sit still.

Try as much to use a flash especially with children cos you dont wanna use low shutter speeds with them. You never know when they gonna twitch. Done several kid's birthdays and gatherings at Kindergartens- there wasnt a time where they will sit still.

I totally agreed with tat, but i dun have those pro flash cus i dun really know how to use them. the build in flash that pops out always creat a very hash look. thus i got no choice but to set a higher ISO to capture it.

perhaps is time to look for a flash. Do u have any recom for D60 cam?

If you are using ISO 1600, correcting the WB will in turn make the noise very obvious. You can shoot in RAW, adjust in LR and use noise removal software but a better solution is to use bounced flash so you do not have to use ISO 1600 and still get fast shutter speed. Or just convert this pic to B/W. Either way, it's quite impossible to have a good picture without any post process so do read more about that. If you like ambient lighting, than wait till you got good difuse lighting available than you shoot. Also getting a prime lens would be helpful.

Not necessarily. If you don't understand what White balance (also called Gray balance since it's about the 18% gray reference) means then it's only time to read and learn the basics. What 6500 Kelvin means will come with the topic. No flash will help you if you have no clue about white balance. Especially in a room where you have different light sources (the yellow light from the lamps and your white flash light) you must know how to handle this - either by presetting your camera accordingly or by post-processing.

Not necessarily. If you don't understand what White balance (also called Gray balance since it's about the 18% gray reference) means then it's only time to read and learn the basics. What 6500 Kelvin means will come with the topic. No flash will help you if you have no clue about white balance. Especially in a room where you have different light sources (the yellow light from the lamps and your white flash light) you must know how to handle this - either by presetting your camera accordingly or by post-processing.

Gosh... i better start reading up abt the flash thingy... din know it is so much to know abt lighting. :sweat:

Thanks.

Also getting a prime lens would be helpful.

I am actually using a AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED. Is it gd enough?

I totally agreed with tat, but i dun have those pro flash cus i dun really know how to use them. the build in flash that pops out always creat a very hash look. thus i got no choice but to set a higher ISO to capture it.

Don't worry too much abt the complications of mixed lighting at this stage. Get a good flash and get the experience of using it. Not all situations will involve mixed lighting complications so you will get some good balanced pictures. Try out straight flash, diffused flash and bounced flash. Once you have the hang of it, then you start dealing with mixed lighting problems and how to manage them. One step at a time.

You can consider either the Nikon SB600 or SB800. A second hand one shld suffice. Check out the buy/sell section. A budget of $300 to $450 shld be sufficient.

I am actually using a AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED. Is it gd enough?

It is more than good enough to get you pretty decent shots. Focus on the photography and not so much on the equipment. Get the basics right first. One step at a time else you find yourself overwhelmed. Get the equipment only when you are ready for them ;)

It is more than good enough to get you pretty decent shots. Focus on the photography and not so much on the equipment. Get the basics right first. One step at a time else you find yourself overwhelmed. Get the equipment only when you are ready for them ;)

Thanks lightbrush for the recom on the flash n equip. those prime lens really cause me to :bigeyes:
;p

Status
Not open for further replies.