Status
Not open for further replies.

sathea

Jan 3, 2004
Singapore
www.yaohui.sg
my second event shoot using film

32092498.jpg

hmm...a tad too soft for me man...also...the subject matter doesn't tell me much...maybe for a good series...try to get more reference for the event in the pics?...heh...just a thot...good efforts thou...keep shooting!!

the softness is ok for me, but as kel mentioned, the pics doesn't tell much. the viewer can't easily see what the kids are doing (at least i can't :bsmilie). keep shooting.

renegade said:
the softness is ok for me, but as kel mentioned, the pics doesn't tell much. the viewer can't easily see what the kids are doing (at least i can't :bsmilie). keep shooting.
girl was playing electric piano

girl was watching the boy picking marbles

boy was picking marbles

sehsuan: Hougang Primary, the school that illustrious arranged for us to go shoot. :)

hi sathea, nice for you to share with us some of your shots but honestly I feel that these shots aren't exactly what the school/client wants. The snapshot feel is there though the first few shots are close-up but they don't convey anything.

The shots also showed the lack of interaction with the students. If you want them to look at ease instead of tensed up while you're photographing them, you have to make them feel so.

Technically wised, most of them looked underexposed needing a lot of density adjustments on the Frontier scanner to salvage them(skin tone is still very dark). Do note that the student's school uniform is white and depending on your metering mode, you have to use some judgement in determining exposure values beforehand. Scenes like the shot with the many windows in the background are high contrast scene which you can't trust those matrix/evaluative metering anymore but to take spot readings.

Last 2 shots goes straight to the bin if you ask me, I would do that. I assume you're using ISO 200 film and honestly ISO 200 film indoor without using any form of artificial lighting can be quite a painful experience.

Just do your best and don't worry too much abt shooting more film. I can see the effort you've put in but there are still many little things that can make a big difference in what you get.

With all that said, I should also be sharing some of what I've shot with you guys too but I've yet to get them scanned yet. Will get it up by Thursday. :)

Hi Sathea,

there's a difference between shooting artistically for yourself and shooting artistically for your client.

As others have pointed out
1) the pics, seen alone, do not form any story journalistically
2) the pics , seen in sequence, also do not form a logical flow of event

My suggestion, shoot safe shots 1st for your clients, then shoot them again - your style. It take some time to combine the 2 elements together.

Some clients may encourage artistic angles but still, they would want to see some good shots where they can use.

Keep on shooting! :)

hmm... client? i thought it's a volunteer shoot and it is like an outing for me to take photos?
the slides looks ok though, doesn't look underexposed. maybe it's my monitor...
first time using this camera, seems like i need to learn more from it.

the idea is, "where's the context of these photos?"

remember, when you evaulate the photos - if someone else can't answer the Who What When Where Why How of it... either you add in the caption, or ther photos may not be very useful.

not failed. you have your own style, that is consistent :)

but remember, to get shots that the basic layman can appreciate, that would be better to boost your overall image to the "client" - even though you're a volunteer.

and thumbs up to you, for volunteering. i was breaking out in cold sweat when there wasn't any reply to the rally i made for illustrious ;)

personally speaking, volunteerism is good, despite the hoohaa some of the other clubsnap chaps here mentioned - but those are people who are semipro or professionals who survive on photography. but shooting for a school, i feel it falls into the category of "service learning". well done for you, all the same :)

http://www.servicelearningclub.nie.edu.sg

Status
Not open for further replies.