Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheresmycheese

Feb 9, 2009
Sicily, Mediterranean Sea
A NTU student by the name of Cheryl Tan committed suicide by jumping from her flat at Ang Mo Kio yesterday.

Currently a third year student of Chinese Literature at NTU, Cheryl was described by her neighbors as a quiet girl who excelled in her students.

It is suspected that she may have ended her life due to stress over her studies. Her parents were shocked when they saw her body and broke down crying.

Cheryl was a reporter for The Nanyang Chronicles and was an active member of NTU’s Chinese Literacy Club.

Last year March, an Indonesian student David Widjaja plunged to his death from seven storeys high up at NTU’s School of Electrical and Electronic engineering after allegedly stabbing his professor

A week later, his senior Zhou Zheng hanged himself in an apartment at NTU. The cause of his suicide remains a mystery to this very day.

http://talkback.stomp.com.sg/forums/showthread.php?t=94627
News source: Xinmin Ribao

it's very sad news coming from an NTU student.. I really hope she found peace!

r.i.p
hope that the media will her case alone.

Last edited:
I think something should be done for young people who are constantly in stressed environment, there should be some counselling session in between terms so people can share problems and get help before it is too late.

Such a pity.. that this had to happen to precious young lives.

../azul123

I think there are services around for students, but probably the people around them need be more "educated" about what to look out for i.e. depressions, or when they starts losing interest in their "usual" activities, giving away things, having cold "death-related" jokes or just refusing to interact with people anymore.. Seldom would people approach counsellors/helpers for help when they struggle with issues etc. The people around them needs be the eyes and ears for them.

Not sure if it's appropriate to ask here, but are there still stigmas or sterotypes when you say you are going for counselling nowadays?

Think media also have the responsibility to know that too much light on such sad incidents can "promote" copy-cats especially among the younger crowds-yes they do copy even to the extend of death).

It's a very sad case.

Looking at it, our young people should try not to keep things to themselves. Share it with their love ones, especially parents and siblings and other family members or good friends. I'm sure they will be able to help in one way or another. Nothing is worse than a lost life.

Taking lives themselves is also sort of selfish, as they should spare a thought for their parents and others who took so much effort in bringing them up to where they are.

I think there are services around for students, but probably the people around them need be more "educated" about what to look out for i.e. depressions, or when they starts losing interest in their "usual" activities, giving away things, having cold "death-related" jokes or just refusing to interact with people anymore.. Seldom would people approach counsellors/helpers for help when they struggle with issues etc. The people around them needs be the eyes and ears for them.

Not sure if it's appropriate to ask here, but are there still stigmas or sterotypes when you say you are going for counselling nowadays?

Think media also have the responsibility to know that too much light on such sad incidents can "promote" copy-cats especially among the younger crowds-yes they do copy even to the extend of death).

that's true. Its sad. as a student myself i have to admit the environment here is uber stressful. compared to NUS, NTU have so far 3 sucides in 1.5 years!! It's something the dean should look into.

It's a very sad case.

Taking lives themselves is also sort of selfish, as they should spare a thought for their parents and others who took so much effort in bringing them up to where they are.

depression doesn't makes one think clearly. if you were to factor these in. i think the person be more depressed. mayeb take the lives of others? :bsmilie:

I think there are services around for students,
What I meant is making it part of the curriculum. Non grading but compulsory in small groups and individuals sessions.

../azul123

that's true. Its sad. as a student myself i have to admit the environment here is uber stressful. compared to NUS, NTU have so far 3 sucides in 1.5 years!! It's something the dean should look into.

do take care to relax (with hobbies, spending time with loved ones, friends or just taking some time off from work/studies). :)

What I meant is making it part of the curriculum. Non grading but compulsory in small groups and individuals sessions.

../azul123

ahh. that sounds gd! some support/sharing groups ? wonder if sg education systems/schools will allow such time to be "wasted" - depends on how they (the mgt) sees such time spent. they'll probably say there are services around already, anyway. sad tho.

Stress management is something that most people ignore but very impt these days... as xhui has mentioned, having a hobby, going out etc helps... RIP.

ahh. that sounds gd! some support/sharing groups ? wonder if sg education systems/schools will allow such time to be "wasted" - depends on how they (the mgt) sees such time spent. they'll probably say there are services around already, anyway. sad tho.
Don't have to be too regular but at least some sessions now and then especially during those critical timing nearing exams etc...

Even during new terms where they have to pay upfront their course fees, you'd never know there might be some students who just might have parents grumbling at them wah why you choose this course cost me so much blah blah.. money problems they should not have to deal with alone to distract them.

BG relations can also be a big thing.. some kind or release valve needed an avenue where they can let out their problems so they are not alone on this.

To die at 20+ is really really sad... :bheart:

../azul123

I can honestly say, for a child to leave this world before the parents is the worst thing any parents drag to experience. I have a friend who lost his child to illness and it was so heartbreaking to see him suffer.

../azul123

it is important to have support groups, teachers, helpline, counsellors etc. at the same time, they need to be able to identify markers/signs when a person needs help. it is a pro-actively way rather than wait for the student to come to you for help.

Don't have to be too regular but at least some sessions now and then especially during those critical timing nearing exams etc...

Even during new terms where they have to pay upfront their course fees, you'd never know there might be some students who just might have parents grumbling at them wah why you choose this course cost me so much blah blah.. money problems they should not have to deal with alone to distract them.

BG relations can also be a big thing.. some kind or release valve needed an avenue where they can let out their problems so they are not alone on this.

To die at 20+ is really really sad... :bheart:

../azul123

I agree with you. The school is no longer the "education-only" place for students nowadays. They stay there, spend tonnes and loads of time there. Issues and problems are bound to arise (relationships (bgr, peers, teachers-students, academic-related, family!) woah. the amount of "chances" for stress and emotional issues are definitely there.

To have mandatory time for debrief, sharings, supports slotted into the curriculum (or even some off sessions) are definitely helpful and crucial in picking up students who might be facing problems or the information provided is also helpful for them to yet-again know, the various channels and avenues for help.

so yeap. support. :thumbsup:

Young people are less afraid of dying than older folks???

Anyone of you not afraid of death hands up.

I can honestly say, for a child to leave this world before the parents is the worst thing any parents drag to experience. I have a friend who lost his child to illness and it was so heartbreaking to see him suffer.

../azul123

To lose your parents, you lose history. To lose your children, you lose your future. That's the reason for it being so tough. (not saying losing your parents are easy la).

I am afraid to die, so suicide is not my cup of tea, with depression or not. The most I will do is hide from civilization but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.