Chermaine @ Linearstudios 290504


Status
Not open for further replies.

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,926
30
48
really MORE diaper changes
had a fun time catching up with frens again over the weekend at brett's. first time shooting Chermaine. very nice and friendly model to work with! shame i wasn't in a 'mood' to shoot on sat... sigh.. :cry:

here are some of the more acceptable shots of her. cheers, and pls (lao gui ju) keep ur comments to techniques and not on the model? appreciate dat!



Chermaine - soft focus. first time using such a filter in a studio.




Chermaine in white




we tried taking a few shots outdoors. this is my effort. was trying to blur out the background using my 50mm/F1.8 MKII lens. dun think i got it right. anyone can explain to me how to do it right? :dunno:



thanks to jeff49er and brett for organising and the use of the studio! had great fun with u both and TCY! and, also nice to know a new fren - ccgoh (and his hassy.... OMG.... i want to get one now!!) and.... i finally met the famous sniperD!! :bigeyes:

cheers! see you all again soon! :lovegrin:
 

tmc17479

New Member
Oct 23, 2003
711
0
0
41
Bukit Timah
Visit site
pic 1 has a nice effect but the compositions leaves a bit more to be desired.
pic 2 is a very nice portrait shot. standard studio shot, shame about the hotspot on the forehead tho.

pic 3 distracting background, how to get a better effect? hmm have to ask the people who have more experience with the lens.
 

jeff49er

Senior Member
Apr 11, 2003
1,976
0
0
51
Punggol Park
Hey Wolf

To blurr the background with ya 50mm, u have to get close which u did.

Did u use a faster sync speed? Any thing above 125, the sync speed is fast and will blurr the background. Check ya manual of ya EX 420.

Also the shutter speed must be above 125.

When I took mine, I use aperture 1.4 and the shutter speed was about 500 and preticably, the badkground was blurr.

Cheers
 

DragcoX

New Member
Jan 14, 2004
122
0
0
set ur aperture as big as u can and the background will blur. e.g. f1.4 = blur background, f11 = clear background
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,926
30
48
really MORE diaper changes
tmc17479 said:
pic 1 has a nice effect but the compositions leaves a bit more to be desired.
pic 2 is a very nice portrait shot. standard studio shot, shame about the hotspot on the forehead tho.

pic 3 distracting background, how to get a better effect? hmm have to ask the people who have more experience with the lens.
hey, tmc17479!

yup. noted on #2. shld have been more careful in sitting the model.

as for #1, how to improve? i was the first to shoot dat day, so haven't seen how the other guys pose chermaine. any tips? :D
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,926
30
48
really MORE diaper changes
DragcoX said:
set ur aperture as big as u can and the background will blur. e.g. f1.4 = blur background, f11 = clear background
oic... damn. no wonder not blur enuf. i checked my Exif again. f4.0. sigh... :cry:
 

reachme2003

Senior Member
Oct 6, 2003
3,733
0
0
jeff49er said:
Hey Wolf

To blurr the background with ya 50mm, u have to get close which u did.

Did u use a faster sync speed? Any thing above 125, the sync speed is fast and will blurr the background. Check ya manual of ya EX 420.

Also the shutter speed must be above 125.

When I took mine, I use aperture 1.4 and the shutter speed was about 500 and preticably, the badkground was blurr.

Cheers
are you sure that shutter speed above 1/125 sec alone can impact the depth of field ?
 

chunsan

Deregistered
Nov 29, 2002
369
0
16
64
Eastern Part of Singapore
Visit site
Hi there,

Some Pointer.
Widest aperture give blur background, especially for mild tele lens, from 85mm F1.4 or F2. As for 50mm, minimum must be F1.4. In addition, background scene must be of reasonable distance.
You can check depth of field before firing the shots.

Fast shutter speed usually associate with wide aperture on the day time.
I can use neutral density filter to reduce light by widening the aperture too.
So it does not mean fast shutter speed means blur background.
 

SniperD

Senior Member
nightwolf75 said:
Chermaine in white



....and.... i finally met the famous sniperD!! :bigeyes:

This one's good and clean.. only that the visual cropping should have been 3/4 of her. you have made that cut-off hand a little too distracting :)

and... nice meeting you guys too! heh heh heh :D
 

tingchiyen

Member
Jan 28, 2004
297
0
16
42
Central
nightwolf75 said:
we tried taking a few shots outdoors. this is my effort. was trying to blur out the background using my 50mm/F1.8 MKII lens. dun think i got it right. anyone can explain to me how to do it right? :dunno:
Hey wolf, nice ones... like the others said, max aperture! Use AE priority, set at your biggest f-stop, ie. 1.4, to get a very shallow DOF... you might need to push your ISO higher too if the lighting is too bright to hit your max aperture...
 

EOS500N

New Member
Jul 24, 2003
1,466
0
0
www.pbase.com
nightwolf75 said:
oic... damn. no wonder not blur enuf. i checked my Exif again. f4.0. sigh... :cry:
but b careful hor bro. if u use f1.8, only the point u focus will b sharp. the rest will start blurring off. at f1.8, the dof is pretty extreme. here's an example...



taken at f1.8 with a 50mm lens. notice only the right eye is sharpest? nose, mouth, etc starts blurring. it depends on wat effect u're going for.

the best way 2 get a good bokeh (very blur backgnd) is 2 use a long lens. anything from 135mm n above is good. use a large aperture say f2.8. zoom in n compose. u should get a pleasant bokeh. another example...



shot at f5.6 at 200mm with a 70-200mm lens. even at f5.6 with a zoom of 200mm, its good enuff 2 get nice bokeh.

;)
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,926
30
48
really MORE diaper changes
EOS500N said:
but b careful hor bro. if u use f1.8, only the point u focus will b sharp. the rest will start blurring off. at f1.8, the dof is pretty extreme. here's an example...
hey, bro! sorry haven't shoot with u for a while. :sweat:

actually, on my computer, i did notice wat u said. i had to PS to correct the minor blurring. sigh... :think:

the best way 2 get a good bokeh (very blur backgnd) is 2 use a long lens. anything from 135mm n above is good. use a large aperture say f2.8. zoom in n compose. u should get a pleasant bokeh. another example...
i've got a 70-300mm, F4.5. will dat do? gosh... i'll have to stand at the other end of the street just to fit her in the frame! :bigeyes: hmm... need to invest in a 28-135mm soon... :sweat:
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,926
30
48
really MORE diaper changes
SniperD said:
This one's good and clean.. only that the visual cropping should have been 3/4 of her. you have made that cut-off hand a little too distracting :)

and... nice meeting you guys too! heh heh heh :D

hi, sniperD!

pai seh... missed the hand... shld i have cut her off at waist level, rather than hip?

nice to meet u too! howz the product shoot?
 

nightwolf75

Moderator
Staff member
Dec 18, 2003
17,926
30
48
really MORE diaper changes
tingchiyen said:
Hey wolf, nice ones... like the others said, max aperture! Use AE priority, set at your biggest f-stop, ie. 1.4, to get a very shallow DOF... you might need to push your ISO higher too if the lighting is too bright to hit your max aperture...
haha... unfortunately, these ARE the only nice ones... sigh.. mentioned to jeff49er. most shots are quite :ipuke:

so, which way shall i try the next time? stick with my 50mm but use the biggest f-stop and, mebbe, push the ISO? or shall i try using my zoom? :dunno: need more practice to find the sweet spot..
 

tingchiyen

Member
Jan 28, 2004
297
0
16
42
Central
Try both! :)
And paiseh, it's not pushing your ISO, it's pulling... ie. lower ISO numbers... but i really dunno about digital, maybe the others will be better guide. I'll see how my prints turn out today, let you know.
 

insomia

New Member
Feb 28, 2002
101
0
0
49
Visit site
Not too bad. There is unfortunate lots of room for improvement if you want to have a good quality picture. For high quality - you would need to rethink the whole approach.

Picture 1 - it looks underexposed. There is something fundamentally wrong when the edge of top of her dress looks like the sharpest point in the picture. Angle of makes her body look akward. Change the angle.

Piture 2 - there is a hot spot which should not be there. I suspect the lighting is a little to strong for dress - shadows on face for me are too strong. Try to relook at how the light were laid down - they need refinement. Watch what you chop off.

Pic 3
Was there a need to use flash out door ? Hair is a mess. Background blurr off - are you using a digital ? Its more difficult to blur off in with ccd's. It can be done - use an appropriate focal length, appropriatly far enough background, appropriatly near enough subject , appropriate lighting, appropriate fstop , appropriate iso speed and appropriate exposure point - it will fall into place. A little too much shoulder shown. Perhaps a 50mm is not the right tool for the job here given the approach you took.
 

EOS500N

New Member
Jul 24, 2003
1,466
0
0
www.pbase.com
nightwolf75 said:
hey, bro! sorry haven't shoot with u for a while. :sweat:

actually, on my computer, i did notice wat u said. i had to PS to correct the minor blurring. sigh... :think:



i've got a 70-300mm, F4.5. will dat do? gosh... i'll have to stand at the other end of the street just to fit her in the frame! :bigeyes: hmm... need to invest in a 28-135mm soon... :sweat:
actually creative selective focusing can work wonders. it all depends on wat features of a shot u want 2 stand out.

70-300mm f4.5? why not? try taking a series of shots using different focal lengths at maybe f4.5 or f5.6. c wat kinda bokeh u get lor. u'll b surprised with the results. i'll b worrying more once the length gets above 200mm. handholding will require steady hands & a fast shutter speed! :D
 

kex

Senior Member
Oct 16, 2002
2,079
0
36
beebox
www.beebox.com.sg
Shutterspeed does not affect DOF.
Wide aperture and closer camera to subject distance will gives u the blur background u want.
 

EOS500N

New Member
Jul 24, 2003
1,466
0
0
www.pbase.com
kex said:
Shutterspeed does not affect DOF.
Wide aperture and closer camera to subject distance will gives u the blur background u want.
not sure whether u're referring 2 my post. anyway i meant a fast enuff shutter speed is required 2 handhold at long focal lengths. of cos shutter speed got nothing 2 do with dof. ;)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.