Checking frames used in a camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinslicing

Jul 7, 2009
singapore
I'm trying to buy a second hand camera and seller says it only used certain number of frames. How do I check it? I looking at canon 500D and 50D. Thanks!

its called shutter count..
rest assured though, cameras as new as the 50D and 500D will not be anywhere near their approximate 100,000 shutter cycle unless the person using it is some sort of drive mode maniac haha

thanks for the replies. do you know where i see the shutter count? is it in the menu somewhere?

well you can sort of roughly estimate... i know theres software out there that will tell you the exact number but realisticly have a look at the image number... not sure if its the same for nikon but canon cameras go from img0001-img9999 the number basically tells you how many pictures have been taken and that is how many shutter actuations it goes through... this isnt always reliable though because the camera will not record a change in img number when its shooting directly plugged into the computer or you've gone over 9999 and reset to 0.. which i've done with mine xD

yeah! i don't think i can rely on the image number since you can always reset it back to 0. guess i'd have to take the seller's word on how much the shutter count is. i'll also check out if there's a software do it.
thanks again!

there's an 3rd party software to check for shutter count...
google for previewextractor

there's an 3rd party software to check for shutter count...
google for previewextractor

does it matter?or u mean after 100000, u have to buy a new dslr?

just have to change the shutter box i think

well you can sort of roughly estimate... i know theres software out there that will tell you the exact number but realisticly have a look at the image number... not sure if its the same for nikon but canon cameras go from img0001-img9999 the number basically tells you how many pictures have been taken and that is how many shutter actuations it goes through... this isnt always reliable though because the camera will not record a change in img number when its shooting directly plugged into the computer or you've gone over 9999 and reset to 0.. which i've done with mine xD

Secondly, it can be changed / manipulated. Shot an image, change the file name in computer and shot the next .. the camera will continue at the new numbering, regardless what was the last shot number before. No gauge at all.
Best is using the dedicated software (for Digic IV processors) or Opanda which is able to extract the shutter count from Exif (haven't tried yet).

just have to change the shutter box i think

Not necessarily. It's not like engine oil or break fluid of a car. Some shutters break at 10k, others far beyond the average expected shutter count.
Check this website of Camera Shutter Life Expectancy Database for statistical data. No guarantee that your camera will perform the same way. No data yet for the 500D and 50D - simply because they are not long enough in the market to get reliable data for shutter failures. Which in return means: no bigger issues known at the moment, quite safe to get one 2nd hand.

Not necessarily. It's not like engine oil or break fluid of a car. Some shutters break at 10k, others far beyond the average expected shutter count.
Check this website of Camera Shutter Life Expectancy Database for statistical data. No guarantee that your camera will perform the same way. No data yet for the 500D and 50D - simply because they are not long enough in the market to get reliable data for shutter failures. Which in return means: no bigger issues known at the moment, quite safe to get one 2nd hand.
Correct...My friend's D200 shutter died at about 206k although the camera manufacturer claims 150k shutter life expectancy.On the other hand, I read about this pro PJ whose 1D Mk2 shutter had bent shutter blades at only 40K shutter count.

Correct...My friend's D200 shutter died at about 206k although the camera manufacturer claims 150k shutter life expectancy.On the other hand, I read about this pro PJ whose 1D Mk2 shutter had bent shutter blades at only 40K shutter count.
sorry but what do I do if the shutter breaks? do i buy a new camera? or can the shutter be replaced?

sorry but what do I do if the shutter breaks? do i buy a new camera? or can the shutter be replaced?

Standard replacement service by all respective service centers. Call them to get the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.