Check your screen Brightness

N-user

Mar 11, 2006
TPY
I cannot believe it..... was looking at the Histogram..... brightness and all that is perfect... why still look so dim..... adjust the brightness in LR.... then basket, realise my monitor brightness was adjusted at Mid Level.... after adjusting the brightness, my pic now too bright.... :bsmilie::sweat::rolleyes:

Who also like me.... :embrass::p

Histogram alone won't work always. It only shows the numerical values of brightness, but only you can decide whether this exposure is correct in the context of subject and intention.
Calibrate your screen, everything is like fishing in murky waters..

You didn't do monitor calibration at all?

Histogram alone won't work always. It only shows the numerical values of brightness, but only you can decide whether this exposure is correct in the context of subject and intention.
Calibrate your screen, everything is like fishing in murky waters..

Okie Bro... looks like got to read up on calibration..... :embrass:

To me, monitor calibration is a very important step - you want to get your image colors "spot-on" when viewed by others

When calibrating (things they don't tell you in user manual) :

1. Always set you graphics card to the max color bit available

2. Remeber to place the meter in the middle of the monitor (where you usually view images)

and then just following the software instructions to start the calibration ;)

setuptips42.jpg

But do we have to tune the monitor to the brightness.... some calibration tool instruct to set to brightness????..... I find it odd.... the monitor so bright.... :dunno:

But do we have to tune the monitor to the brightness.... some calibration tool instruct to set to brightness????..... I find it odd.... the monitor so bright.... :dunno:
If the monitor is too dim you end up bringing up the brightness to much in your editing and vice versa. My monitor had a very bright default setup, I had to reduce it during calibration.

If the monitor is too dim you end up bringing up the brightness to much in your editing and vice versa. My monitor had a very bright default setup, I had to reduce it during calibration.

Okie thanks bro....

Sorry to butt in but any software to recommend? Prefer those under $250 if possible. Seems spyder4 is quite popular but some ppl note that after calibration screen will be like dimmer as before. Is this a software issue or its part of the process?

Last edited:
best is always set monitor brightness to the max if you are using a laptop. that way u can accurately get proper accuracy in brightness

best is always set monitor brightness to the max if you are using a laptop. that way u can accurately get proper accuracy in brightness
Sorry, that's nonsense. "Max" has different results on different laptops. What is required is a controlled, known setting. Thus, people use calibration tools to measure and adjust the brightness.

Sorry to butt in but any software to recommend? Prefer those under $250 if possible. Seems spyder4 is quite popular but some ppl note that after calibration screen will be like dimmer as before. Is this a software issue or its part of the process?
It's the result of the measurement and adjustment process. Spyder4 has a step where surrounding ambient light is measured. If ambient light is bright then the software will give different recommended settings compared to dim ambient light. Most people sit in dim light to avoid reflections on the screen. The software considers this and recommends a dimmer setting than then standard blunt "one fits all" setting of the manufacturer

Last edited:
It's the result of the measurement and adjustment process. Spyder4 has a step where surrounding ambient light is measured. If ambient light is bright then the software will give different recommended settings compared to bright ambient light. Most people sit in dim light to avoid reflections on the screen. The software considers this and recommends a dimmer setting than then standard blunt "one fits all" setting of the manufacturer

I see, Thanks!!! looks like I will be on the hunt for this.