Cheat case: What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecclesiasm

May 3, 2003
Bedok
marvinlee.multiply.com
I have a friend who went shopping at Funan.

Bought a SIGMA lens for $1300. Found out later that elsewhere was selling for only about $300. He went back to the shop to ask for a refund. Was given the "boss not around, can't do anything about it" excuse. Later, said that cannot refund cash, but can compensate with accessories (basically want you to spend the money). Finally, boss met up with him and offered $700 cash back. Offer still stands.

Question: Any suggestions what can be done?

should he accept the money? or should be file a report with case.

Please help!

Ecclesiasm said:
I have a friend who went shopping at Funan.

Bought a SIGMA lens for $1300. Found out later that elsewhere was selling for only about $300. He went back to the shop to ask for a refund. Was given the "boss not around, can't do anything about it" excuse. Later, said that cannot refund cash, but can compensate with accessories (basically want you to spend the money). Finally, boss met up with him and offered $700 cash back. Offer still stands.

Question: Any suggestions what can be done?

should he accept the money? or should be file a report with case.

Please help!

Go to CASE straight away with receipts. Can reveal which shop is it?
Btw, what sigma lens did he buy?
:dunno:

i dun think there is any case here...

your fren din do any research before hand, and the shop may not even offer a clause that says refund difference if items are sold cheaper in other stalls like carrefour or harvey norman.

if the boss offer him a $700 cash back, then he return the goods, is equivalent to giving the shop $600 for nothing, unless he means that he is returning 700 back, then i guess might as well take it.

(but i know that you can complain to the management of funan for black listing the shop... maybe case may blacklist them as well...)

yes.. go to CASE is your best bet. Call them up to ask for advice. They will be more professional.

go back to him again .. tell him that u will report to CASE
if hes not gg to refund .. be prepare to close shop for few weeks

And if everything is wat u say .. pls tell us the name of the shop

Yes. Please tell us the name of the shop.

Go to CASE! There were cases where they join you to the shop and they refunded! They are at Ghim Moh Rd., inside the Community Club building......good luck!

Also, tell us what Sigma lens it exactly was.......

Hong Sien

icarus said:
Go to CASE straight away with receipts. Can reveal which shop is it?
Btw, what sigma lens did he buy?
:dunno:

Hmmm.. my friend was told that in the event that CASE steps in, he might even lose that $700 offer... i heard CASE can only mediate...and if they blacklist the shop, i think $700 can say bye bye... :sweat:

NOTE: i do not have the "information" you all want to know, will tell when i have the name of the shop... :sweat:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
if the boss offer him a $700 cash back, then he return the goods, is equivalent to giving the shop $600 for nothing, unless he means that he is returning 700 back, then i guess might as well take it.

yes, he is offering the $700 back. still that means a shortfall of $300 atill, ya?

He asked me for advice. So, I ask you all.

Can anyone verify his fears that shop owner would retract his compensation upon approaching CASE?

btw, my friend is a foreign student here. So, little needs to be said about what must have happened. :nono:

Damn these singapore business people. Yet again. Idiots who try to make dirty $ from unsuspecting, innocent tourists and foreigners.

The fact that the boss is willing to return $700 shows how stupid and guilty he is. My suspect is that he (or his sales people) wanted to make a quick buck out of what he felt to be the stupidity of your friend, hoping he's some foreign inncoent young thing who would not return to the shop or compare prices after that.

$1300-$700 and your friend is still knocked hard on the head.

I dunno what's the best solution but go fight for it.. No harm trying.

Go to CASE, the end. No point arguing.

I really feel something needs to be done about this foreigner-price-gouging trend that we see, in the electronics business here in Singapore. It's getting us an increasingly bad reputation among tourists, something we surely do not want if our tourism industry is to take off.

Anyone have any feasible ideas? Certification? Hmmm....

:angry: Hate black shop like this..

Can't give any good advise as I've never encounter problem like this before... Hopefully CASE will able to help.

If possible, please provide us the shop name/location, the Sigma lens he bought. Let everyone know who is this black sheep!

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i dun think there is any case here...

your fren din do any research before hand, and the shop may not even offer a clause that says refund difference if items are sold cheaper in other stalls like carrefour or harvey norman.

(but i know that you can complain to the management of funan for black listing the shop... maybe case may blacklist them as well...)
If the RRP is $488, selling at $1300 is obviously cheating. :)

let me guess....there isn't many shop in funan that sell lense.... isit the one started with B and ends with M ? i think this shop have been blacklisted by alot of CSer....lol

heard before that local consumer is entitled to a certain number of days to return purchased item with original receipt for a full refund in case of 'dishonest' trading. can someone confirm that? in any case, Ecclesiasm, tell your friend to report this to CASE first thing next morning. don't delay. that shop ought to refund your friend fully, and on top of that be penalised for such bad practise.

ADD: btw, i believe CASE charges a fee for the service, but since the sum involved is quite substantial i think a small fee is worth it

why not take the $700 before going to CASE,at least lost not as much.

zaxh81 said:

if his friend take the $700, he has no more case as the dealer can state that the consumer has already accepted the dealer's compensation for the bad dealing, at least that's how i see it. where are the legal experts? thought they are always fast in responding to these threads.

zaxh81 said:

It will be a different story. It means that his friend has accept the compensation. So no case for complain.

For me i will just take the $700 and take it as a lesson learned.

Case will just blacklist them,not confirm they will help you to recover the money,so what you guys would choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.