Cheapest way to store pictures during travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Hi guys...I would like to enquire about the method to store pictures on my travels. I am using a 256 MB XD card and it stores only 200+ pics and definitely not enough for a more than a week trip. Using a laptop is not possible as I am backpacking. Other than getting more XD cards...are there other cheaper alternatives to store these pics, after which I can carry on shooting on my cam? I think I have seen something on card readers but does it store pics also?

Pls advise...thanks:)

burn onto cdrw

boroangel said:
Hi guys...I would like to enquire about the method to store pictures on my travels. I am using a 256 MB XD card and it stores only 200+ pics and definitely not enough for a more than a week trip. Using a laptop is not possible as I am backpacking. Other than getting more XD cards...are there other cheaper alternatives to store these pics, after which I can carry on shooting on my cam? I think I have seen something on card readers but does it store pics also?

External storage, e.g nikon coolwalker etcetc

still more expensive than burning onto cdrw

Maybe a HDD box support card reader but XD support is rare :D i guest.

boroangel said:
Using a laptop is not possible as I am backpacking.

user111 said:
burn onto cdrw

:dunno: :eek:

u can try this

The compact drive could handle those cards without adapter:

* Compact Flash I & II including Microdrive
* XD Picture (XD)
* Memory Stick (MSPro compatible)
* Multimedia (MC)
* Secure Digital (SD)

review here

boroangel said:

YOu might want to consider getting an external storage system like this. This is one of best value ones available at EastGear Shop at Peninisula. www.eastgear.com. They have one going for about SDG$199

Information on this particular one is found at this link:
http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=17_66&products_id=310

Well, if you are going to a developed country, chances are that you will be able to find internet cafes readily. They allow you to burn the pictures which you have taken into a CD for a fee of course.

if you are going to a less developed country, i would suggest that you get a portable storage device.

Just go to a photoshop and ask them to burn your photos on to CD-R for a small fee. Cheapest way yet and you don't have to carry extra storage or batteries. I've done this for most of my Asian trips.

burger said:
:dunno: :eek:

u can try this

The compact drive could handle those cards without adapter:

* Compact Flash I & II including Microdrive
* XD Picture (XD)
* Memory Stick (MSPro compatible)
* Multimedia (MC)
* Secure Digital (SD)

review here

Ooops. :bsmilie: I just posted the same idea.

So far there are the following methods:
1) Buy/rent Compact drive
2) Burn into CDRW at shop

How about bringing a xd card reader, and store them into your Gmail account at the internet cafe? Another idea I can think of is to borrow more xd cards from friends, should be the cheapest way!

Does your hotel offer you free broadband access? If yes, upload your picts to a free host, or just create a new email and attach all of them in gmail. :D Whoops....u cant bring a lappy. Well...borrow someone's then! ;)

sammy888 said:
YOu might want to consider getting an external storage system like this. This is one of best value ones available at EastGear Shop at Peninisula. www.eastgear.com. They have one going for about SDG$199

Information on this particular one is found at this link:
http://www.eastgear.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=17_66&products_id=310

Hi...it doesnt seem to state the maximum capacity of this drive?

huaiwei said:
Does your hotel offer you free broadband access? If yes, upload your picts to a free host, or just create a new email and attach all of them in gmail. :D Whoops....u cant bring a lappy. Well...borrow someone's then! ;)

Going to Korea actually and will be staying at guesthouses/youth hostels in Seoul and Sokcho and maybe a hotel in Jeju. I suppose the hotel should have some internet access...as for the guesthouses there have PCs...I hope they have USB though and must check what version they are using, whjether its 1.1 or 2. Cant find any info on whether the youth hostels have any PCs...

I hope this doesn't sound stupid but is it possible to store pics in say an MP3 player?

Hobbes234 said:
Well, if you are going to a developed country, chances are that you will be able to find internet cafes readily. They allow you to burn the pictures which you have taken into a CD for a fee of course.
Yes I find this is this best way for those who travel occasionally and dont intend to buy portable storage devices or take too much photos. Even the hostels or cheap hotels in tourist area of developing areas provide such services not just internet cafes, was in Middle East last year for 2 months, saw many of such services offered there.

singapurasteve said:
Rent this for your trip. PD7X rental @ $15/week.

Sounds like a good deal...but kinda worried that its gonna breakdown during the trip , such is the luck I have...or am I being too paranoid...

Status
Not open for further replies.