Cheapest way to store pictures during travel

Status
Not open for further replies.
boroangel said:
Going to Korea actually and will be staying at guesthouses/youth hostels in Seoul and Sokcho and maybe a hotel in Jeju. I suppose the hotel should have some internet access...as for the guesthouses there have PCs...I hope they have USB though and must check what version they are using, whjether its 1.1 or 2. Cant find any info on whether the youth hostels have any PCs...

I hope this doesn't sound stupid but is it possible to store pics in say an MP3 player?
Try calling or something. You never know. ;)

I dont have an mp3 player, so I cant answer yr qn, but I onced used my digital cam's memory card to store my powerpoint presentation. Hope it works the other way for Mp3 players too? :D

boroangel said:
Sounds like a good deal...but kinda worried that its gonna breakdown during the trip , such is the luck I have...or am I being too paranoid...

I used one for a few months and never had one problem. (only sold it off, because I bought more cf cards) I think it's a safe bet.

get a harddisk case which can read several kinds of cards, and buy a 2.5" harddisk. 40G/5200rpm around S$110.
combination of two is something called digital travel mate

ideal for travelling.

iso100 said:
get a harddisk case which can read several kinds of cards, and buy a 2.5" harddisk. 40G/5200rpm around S$110.

ideal for travelling.

That's a good idea iso100. :thumbsup:

btw - What is the biggest 2.5" drive available now?

in terms of capacity, at least 160G is available.
40G is enough.

iso100 said:

ideal for travelling.

Good suggestion, I've been doing this for some time now... easy, expandable and can be use for other storage uses ;)

boroangel said:
Hi guys...I would like to enquire about the method to store pictures on my travels. I am using a 256 MB XD card and it stores only 200+ pics and definitely not enough for a more than a week trip. Using a laptop is not possible as I am backpacking. Other than getting more XD cards...are there other cheaper alternatives to store these pics, after which I can carry on shooting on my cam? I think I have seen something on card readers but does it store pics also?

Pls advise...thanks:)

edited version

now CS need funds
subscribe a 1 year membership ($100) and get 300MB? space for photos
when overseas go to internet cafe
upload your Photos from camera (bring usb cable) or XD card (bring small usb card reader)
onto CS 300 MB space
when you return from travel download on to your PC and burn on DVD RW

can arrange with your friend in Singapore or fellow CS member
he can download and store on CDRW or DVDRW
abd sms you
then you can delete and upload more pics
many companies selling portable cd writers or harddisk with many GB

did you realise that film is a portable storage?
I have seen famous photbug who always wins prizes return from trip and go to lab (RGB at that time now called fotohub) with 100+ rolls of slides.
if they are all Velvia can you imagine the total number of file memory in digital format?

conservative guess
24 MP per frame x 36 frames x 100 rolls
how many gigabytes is that ?

ricohflex said:
now CS need funds
buy a 1 year membership and get 10MB? space for photos
when overseas go to internet cafe
upload your Photos from camera (bring usb cable) or XD card (bring small usb card reader)
onto CS 10 MB space
when you return from travel download on to your PC and burn on DVD RW

10MB how to store more than 1 256MB of photos leh? :sweat:

I think the portable hdd is the best and cheapest solution. But becareful not to drop it loh.

Went to Aust last month and took a Vosonic 300 along (portable hdd w cards adaptor) ... took more than 1900 photos or 3.5 GB of photos ... I jus need some place to charge up my power for the unit. As it hss a 30GB hdd, I was more than comfortable with shooting non-stop and no worries whatsoever ...

paradigm said:
Went to Aust last month and took a Vosonic 300 along (portable hdd w cards adaptor) ... took more than 1900 photos or 3.5 GB of photos ... I jus need some place to charge up my power for the unit. As it hss a 30GB hdd, I was more than comfortable with shooting non-stop and no worries whatsoever ...

one time painful investment and makes your life so much better ....

boroangel said:
Hi...it doesnt seem to state the maximum capacity of this drive?

Hi...well they range from 20 gigabyte upwards...if I am not wrong, that one is the 20 gig version. Usually more then enough for your trip as I see it since you only have like a 256mb memory module.

It is a worth while investment on the whole personally speaking. It is cheaper then buying more memory modules. You migth want to invest in one more 256mb or higher memory module. That way...when you run out on one module, you stick that into the compact drive to dowload while you stick the spare memory module into your camera to keep shooting.

Forget the CYBER INTERNET CAFE idea even if you spot one with ADSL on your trip...forget that option. You are on holiday right?..you want to stick around at the cafe and wait for your 256mb of picture to upload???? Even with a ADSL if it is a clean line....how long do you think it will take to upload??? Imagine about 2 hours or more ( usually more...trust me I know..I have done it) ... what some folk are not aware is if you get into an "internet bandwidth traffic" uploading will slow even more plus uploading speed is usually much lower then download. When ISP talk abut 256 or 516 or higher speed, they usually are talking about download speed. And if you are going to some place with no internet cafe like in some rural country or place for a few days...can you wait or shot that little since you are too far away to upload.

boroangel said:
I hope this doesn't sound stupid but is it possible to store pics in say an MP3 player?

Depends.... you have to read your MP3's feature list in the manual. If you are intending on getting one then...look out for those with this feature. It is not uncommon to find many in the market really. BUT...the problem is you will need have a PC to download into it but not may offer direct as far as I am aware. Some does this automatically if you are using XP..it just treat the mp3 play as a external hhd. BUT some might also expect you to install driver on it...so...how many hotel will let you install programs into their PCs?

I am personally using an Ipod Photo 30gig which I have an adapter from apple which connects the ipod to my Nikon D70 directly and upload. Speed is not that quick but hell!..I leave it over night to upload while I sleep at the hotel or where ever I may be.

boroangel said:
Sounds like a good deal...but kinda worried that its gonna breakdown during the trip , such is the luck I have...or am I being too paranoid...

Yes you are over paranoid!!!... If renting one give you the impression that it is not well maintain given alot of stranger uses and abuse it...then buy one. :)

Thanks for all yoru advice...I will think about it and make a decision when nearing Nov...to be honest I dont travel a lot and after Nov my next trip would prob be in July next year...if I get that external harddisk things with the special casing it might end up gathering dust...hmm...or maybe I should just get another 1GB XD card...not sure how much it would cost though...

Yes sammy888, I m using a 256 MB XD card right now which allow me to take an average of 260 pics...going on a 9 day trip...if on the average I take 100+ pics a day...would need some method to store 1000 pics I reckon...around 1 GB I suppose...

boroangel said:
Thanks for all yoru advice...I will think about it and make a decision when nearing Nov...to be honest I dont travel a lot and after Nov my next trip would prob be in July next year...if I get that external harddisk things with the special casing it might end up gathering dust...hmm...or maybe I should just get another 1GB XD card...not sure how much it would cost though...

Yes sammy888, I m using a 256 MB XD card right now which allow me to take an average of 260 pics...going on a 9 day trip...if on the average I take 100+ pics a day...would need some method to store 1000 pics I reckon...around 1 GB I suppose...

Well you can try to get abit more from your memory card by being more discerning with what you shoot. Settle on showing folks your trip on your PC or TV for example..in that case you don't need to shoot all on high resolution mode. Just shoot those nice scenic shots on high in case you want to print out and all those family or shots that you think is more to add to the mood of your trip ..then adjust to shoot those in lower res mode. :)

I think you should scrap the buying then...try to rent one. :)

cheapest way is to borrow extra memory cards from your friends ! or bring a small laptop along to download. ;p

Can the PD7x store raw files?:embrass:

sammy888 said:
The PD7x is basically a storage device and it treat all file formats as just another data file to be copied to itself.

Thanks...i feel so stupid:embrass:

Status
Not open for further replies.