Cheapest way to Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-setting

Jul 16, 2004
Equator
hi fellow ClubSnappers. would appreciate some advice what is the cheapest way to fly from singapore to Norway. i suppose Oslo would the destination, as it would be the transport hub to connect with domestic destination.

i plan to visit the fjord region on the west coast.

thanks for all comments.

Last time I checked, it was really cheap to fly air-asia from KL (the budget terminal) to London Stansted. From the latter it is possible to go to Norway for next to nothing, at least if you book early. Note that Ryanair doesn't fly to the main airport of Oslo, to a city called Sandefjord. This is roughly 1.5 hours southwest of Oslo by car/bus/train. However, if your goal is the west coast, Sandefjord is pretty much ideal. You can get a direct flight from Sandefjord to Bergen for a decent price.

It seems that most Singaporeans want to take the railway between Oslo and Bergen though. In that case, I would still consider Sandefjord airport. Just take the train or a bus to Drammen (halfway between Sandefjord and Oslo). here, you can switch to the Oslo->Bergen railroad ('Bergensbanen'). The only thing you lose is the chance to see the capital.

To summarize:
- get a cheap flight to London (most likely to Stansted, not Heathrow).
- Fly ryanair to Oslo airport Torp (Sandefjord city)
- Take a local train/bus to Drammen, switch to Bergensbanen
- Enjoy!

That is cheaper yes, and I'm surprised by how much Air Asia charge. But it's a majorly ouchie journey...

And that's even before taking Ryanair into account! :)

Just checked the air-asia prices, seems like it's a lot more expensive than it was back in May.
@Jed: what do you mean by "ouchie"? Price-wise, or the number of legs of the entire trip?

Mainly about the number of legs of the journey and the amount it would take.

Sg -> KL -> London -> Sandefjord with attendant early check-ins, waiting in transits, etc.

To me £160ish is very cheap for KL -> Stanstead, I didn't know you could get flights that cheap. Don't know if it used to be available even cheaper!

Indeed not the preferred way to travel, but at least it's cheap :)
I started off from KL early in the morning, and caught the evening flight from London to Sandefjord. I wouldn't try to do the same thing again though, as I almost lost my flight from Stanstead. Another possibility would be to get a flight from Singapore to Copenhagen (Denmark) or Frankfurt (Germany). Lufthansa had some good offers, as far as I remember. The airliner "Norwegian" provides cheap flights between Norway and several European cities.

If you can get to one of the main hubs in Europe, you should be able to get to where you want go pretty easily.

You either need to to London or Denmark. Once there, you can then find the next flight to your destination.

I used to fly to Europe in the past and I remember that for some flights, the stopover is free. For example, say you want to goto Helsinki, you can fly SAS and you can get to goto Copenhagen for free as a stopover.

I recommend you check out Air France, SAS or Finnair.

I recommend you check out Air France, SAS or Finnair.

Actually, I can't say about booking from the Singapore side of things, but certainly KLM is cheaper than Air France (whom they are very closely allied with anyway) and SAS when booking things from the UK. I have on experience with Finnair.

Over here for the "conventional" (ie non-low-cost) airlines then KLM is the cheapest.

I agree on KLM.
Also, good option is to fly to main flight hub in Europe first (say London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, etc. ) then transfer to the low cost airline there.
Mind that in London, budget airline depart from different airport.
for budget airline, from what i know, if you book 2 month ahead, during non peak, you can get quite good deal.

Check with MISA travel, sometimes they offer quite attractive flight ticket.

hey guys, thanks for all the useful tips. will check them out.

I read from another thread on Europe that China Eastern Airline gives pretty low fares to Europe. As far as I know, China Eastern has stopped services to London, due to low volume. I will check if they still fly to other European hubs like Frankfurt, Copenhagen or Amsterdam.

As for the short hop from an European hub to Oslo, the cheapest I have found is on Norwegian Airlines, at US$ 65 one-way from Copenhagen to Oslo. This is inclusive of taxes. So the return fare is like US$ 130 or around S$ 180.70.

I think it is the SG -to-Europe fare that is the killer.

Thanks for all the advice anyway. :)

check out Emirates and Jet Airways. Sometimes, these airlines have very good deals to Europe. Last time I saw SIN-FRA for 900 bucks on Emirates. just monitor their promotions.

was shocked by the airasia price KL - Stanstead so decided to check. wow that's a large saving! but what i get is MYR 2290 = SGD 940 = GBP 400. am i missing something here?

i look at the box on the right hand side, wehre they add up the outbound and inboung (yes, they charge separately!) plus the airport taxes.

Hmm, I must have looked at the one way price as well too then because working it out now I get £375, as opposed to £160, for about the same dates.

For that difference then I'm sure I'd rather fly as direct as I can!

I'm flying back to Sg from Newcastle via Emirates for £490 and I could've gone KLM for £455. If I'd booked earlier I could've got away with £450 and £420 or so respectively.

was shocked by the airasia price KL - Stanstead so decided to check. wow that's a large saving! but what i get is MYR 2290 = SGD 940 = GBP 400. am i missing something here?

i look at the box on the right hand side, wehre they add up the outbound and inboung (yes, they charge separately!) plus the airport taxes.

A return trip to London for SGD940 did not save a lot. You have to consider the trip from Sg to KL. SGD940 is the premium seats or just economy seats?

Air Asia do not serve food unless you purchase extra, also you need buy the comfort pack.

If you book like 2 or 3 month earlier, usually you can get around SGD1100 plus minus 100 for flight to London (Heathrow). SQ, MH, Emirates, Qantas ... Of course not for year end peak season.

SGD 940 is only the normal, not the premium airasia.

yes, i'd rather fly the 'normal' airlines also.if booked early can get pretty good savings esp when they having promotion. too bad i never seem able to catch them at it.. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.