Cheapest DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjory

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Which country actually sells DSLR at the cheapest price?

Which country actually sells DSLR at the cheapest price?
which country? so are you going that country if it is the cheapest? :dunno:

Usually bigger countries like USA and Hong Kong sell their camera cheaper due to economies of scale and more competition. Unfortunately, in Singapore, cameras (and other hot-selling electronics) are often priced higher than the countries I mentioned. However, you may need to take in consideration the local taxes and duties you have to pay if you import them.

I think its Hong Kong or USA (now USD drop). I have also heard that if you hand carry the box (inside got camera) you must declare, One member point out that take out the camera and put into your camera bag and the box in your luggage (checked-in). I think warrantly also a problem, no idea about that tho.

Hope it helps.

which country? so are you going that country if it is the cheapest? :dunno:

I reckon he has a job that allows him to travel. If he flies to HK or US once a month, lagi best liao. Can consider part time job of 'parallel' importing lenses. :bigeyes:

buy from the country which is most convinient to u (ie the 1 u spend most of ur time in)

tt way no worries abt taxes, shipping, travelling, repairs, warranty, etc etc
btw s'pore sells the d300 quite cheaply compared to US (US$1.8k), UK (£1.3k) and europe

I reckon he has a job that allows him to travel. If he flies to HK or US once a month, lagi best liao. Can consider part time job of 'parallel' importing lenses. :bigeyes:
waa what job? so good... can even choose the location... ;p

I think only Olympus has international warranty for body right?... :think: ... unless of course you frequent that country and can get any servicing/repair there then not an issue...

Hahaha, no I have friends travelling around. HKK, Australia and USA.

That's why thought might get them help me to buy.

Just back from a holiday in Hong Kong ...

This is my observation based on the stuff I bought for myself and friends and based on pricing on just one (popular) shop in Mongkok.

Lenses and accessories I dare say Sony and Nikon stuff give quite good deals like between 20-30% cheaper. DSLR Body and even PNS prices seem similar to Singapore.

For Canon, got the 580ex flash at about 10% cheaper than SG and pretty much lens prices are also about 5-10% cheaper.

Somemore HK no taxes.

Heard from a bro ... buying Sony lenses on mail order ... about 30% NET savings.

Cheers!

Hahaha, no I have friends travelling around. HKK, Australia and USA.

That's why thought might get them help me to buy.

the next question is the difficult one. where in that country can you get the cheapest DSLR?

it can be that it is cheaper if your friend knows the photographic retail market there well or if not, they got to hunt high and low for that price with a lot of inconvinience. on the other hand, it can be more expensive if your friend are just buying at less inconvinience from department stores.

ultimately, you got to try to find out the market pricing AND availability at SPECIFIC locations, including its tax and so-on. then you got to see whether it is worth the hassle. it is less complicated if you are going there yourself, hunting around on your own, asking what you need to know there, and deciding on it.

anyway, forget abt australia for cheaper electronics. things are neither designed or made there, nor a large market, so it won't be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.