Cheapest DSLR for entry level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrclhr

Mar 25, 2008
Pakistan
www.itpaindu.com
Hi All,

Can anybody tell me the cheapest DSLR available in market, as a beginner I dont want to buy some expensive cameras at the moment, I want to use normal DSLR camera and after getting some experience I'll buy a good one, so please suggest me a cheap one to get starting.

Features I Want:

- The camera should have all DSLR functionalities (dont want to use some prosumer type camera).
- Camera should able to mount/unmount the lenses (If possible).
- Price should be cheapest for entry level.

Thanks

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me the cheapest DSLR available in market, as a beginner I dont want to buy some expensive cameras at the moment, I want to use normal DSLR camera and after getting some experience I'll buy a good one, so please suggest me a cheap one to get starting.

Features I Want:

- The camera should have all DSLR functionalities (dont want to use some prosumer type camera).

Thanks

Currently, it's Nikon D40.

Olympus E-420 looks decent too. Going for S$890 at John 3:16 with kit lens.

Hi All,

Features I Want:

Thanks

Can i suggest that u look into which brand works for you ,as there are different pros and cons between each brands, before u decide to get a cheap DSLR?

Features you Want:

1st point - want more, then pay more to get a more decent entry lvl like 1000d currently has the best specs around for entry lvl but at a price of cos.

2nd point - to be able to mount all types of lens for AF then look to canon or oly, dont bother about nikon if you can't stand MF.

3rd point - after nikon, the second cheapest entry lvl in the market is oly.

Can anybody tell me the cheapest DSLR available in market

Consider a used camera.

The camera should have all DSLR functionalities

A DSLR is:

1) digital
2) single lens reflex, meaning viewfinder is optical and through the lens, and there is a mirror that flips out of the way when taking the exposure.

Though the definition doesn't include removable lens, that is implied by the term SLR camera.

All digital SLRs also include in-camera metering, full manual mode as well as aperture and shutter priority, as well as program and full auto modes.

Now comes the interesting part - what features are essential to you, that is not in this basic list? Do you want RGB histograms? How large a LCD? How accurate and bright a viewfinder? DOF preview? LiveView? In-camera image stabilization?

And, most important, what is your budget, including lens(es)? And what do you intend to shoot?

Yeah, in addition to what the bros here mentioned, maybe you can visit the shops and have a feel of different brands of DLSRs. From there you'll know which is suitable to your needs vs. your budget. Don't forget Sony A200, a great cam with a great price :)

You want some thing cheap, there are some Konica Minolta 5Ds in the Buy/Sell section going for around $400 only. That'll leave you a lot of money left for others.

Consider a used camera.

A DSLR is:

1) digital
2) single lens reflex, meaning viewfinder is optical and through the lens, and there is a mirror that flips out of the way when taking the exposure.

Though the definition doesn't include removable lens, that is implied by the term SLR camera.

All digital SLRs also include in-camera metering, full manual mode as well as aperture and shutter priority, as well as program and full auto modes.

Now comes the interesting part - what features are essential to you, that is not in this basic list? Do you want RGB histograms? How large a LCD? How accurate and bright a viewfinder? DOF preview? LiveView? In-camera image stabilization?

And, most important, what is your budget, including lens(es)? And what do you intend to shoot?

Thanks for your detailed reply

Actually I am new to DSLR world so I dont have much knowledge about those camera terms you mentioned :) I just need to buy a basic DSLR camera to start using it and getting some experience that how to use DSLR properly by changing shutter/aperture/ISO etc, any my budget is between S$700 to S$800 and i just want to shoot some family functions/outdoor/night shoots/Kids etc.

BTW I have one deal of Sony Alpha-200 at S$780, is it a worth buy or not ?

Thanks for your detailed reply

Actually I am new to DSLR world so I dont have much knowledge about those camera terms you mentioned :) I just need to buy a basic DSLR camera to start using it and getting some experience that how to use DSLR properly by changing shutter/aperture/ISO etc, any my budget is between S$700 to S$800 and i just want to shoot some family functions/outdoor/night shoots/Kids etc.

BTW I have one deal of Sony Alpha-200 at S$780, is it a worth buy or not ?

Why not? Me got a friend who is willing to let go her Sony A100 for a lower value than the A200.

Why not? Me got a friend who is willing to let go her Sony A100 for a lower value than the A200.

Thanks for your reply.

I am more focused to buy a new camera but can you please tell me the Price and condition of that camera of your friend, and is it still under warranty ? Many Thanks

Actually I am new to DSLR world so I dont have much knowledge about those camera terms you mentioned :)

I guess my long winded post is just to say all DSLR has basic DSLR functions, but there may be some not-so-basic features that you may like to have. Explaining all the terms would take me too long, besides others have said it before, much more eloquently than I can.

If you can find a copy of David Busch's Mastering DSLR, borrow it for a read. It's not really worth buying, IMHO (I should know - I bought a copy :) ) but it does describe a lot about what to look for in a DSLR. If not, there are many, many articles about how to choose a DSLR. There's probably a few stickies here as well.

But if you really don't care about it, then really, any DSLR made in the last 3 years will be adequate.

I can't offer an opinion on the Sony price since I don't use Sony and don't live in Singapore, sorry.

The most value for money DSLR currently available is probably a used K100D kit. It's less than 2 years old and:

1. has in-body image stabilization
2. a 2.5" 210k rear lcd
3. supports bracketing, etc. (which is unusual in it's class)
4. has excellent image quality see: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/
5. has arguably the best lens support of all manufactuers (save that the very newest lenses coming out soon might not be compatible)

There is one B&S forum seller:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390710

Prices in the last month appear to have ranged from 450-600.

Bro, pmed you on your queries;).

Yeah, A200 is a beginner great cam much better than my A100.

At that price you've mentioned...it's a great deal.:thumbsup:

But the D40 can only use AF-S lenses. That's a BIG drawback.

d40 can use AF-D lens as well, just have to bear with the MF since no AF.
AF-S lens is the only lens that can AF on d40/d60.

There are no cheap DSLR...no matter is new or 2nd hand.
Once you got into the DSLR world... the DSLR world is so BIG and HOLE is so deep..

If you got a DSLR.. either is cheap or ex...
later, you'll need to buy dry box or cabinet and etc..(That also cost you $$$)

Even you got a cheap DSLR...
later you'll need to buy extra lens base on your needs. :bsmilie:

After that you'll said,
Oh ya... my DSLR able to change lenses.. why not get a extra lens
make full use of the changeable lens function. ;)

So that will be a never ending story or hole....

If you really want to take pix...
I think will be better to get a Pro-consumer.
At least they able to shot almost anythings (I think)
no need to worries abt lens and etc....

If you want to join this deep hole...I'll welcome you to the DARK Side...:devil:

Just my 0.5 cents advice....:sweatsm:

cheapest DSLR cameras are available 2nd hand at our CS's Buy/Sell: Cameras . You can browse through until you find a satisfactory one, some are really in very good condition, while some are not, but the price would be even cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.