Cheapest camera for birthday

de_stan

Apr 21, 2004
What's the cheapest digital camera I can get for my nephew as his birthday present? He will be turning 9 in couple months time.

Give him a old handphone ?

Second hand d70 w kit lrns

Fuji instant camera?

Visit IMM. They got a kiosk selling low end digicams. When you say cheapest, do you mean the absolute lowest priced digicam that you can get in Singapore?
It may turn out to be a totally hopeless model, such that it is better not to give it as a present.

Or do you mean the cheapest price that you can get for a particular model you have in mind?

Hopefully your nephew has enough sensibility to be grateful for a gift for what it is, regardless of price.

Last edited:
ricohflex said:
Visit IMM. They got a kiosk selling low end digicams. When you say cheapest, do you mean the absolute lowest priced digicam that you can get in Singapore?
It may turn out to be a totally hopeless model, such that it is better not to give it as a present.

Or do you mean the cheapest price that you can get for a particular model you have in mind?

Hopefully you nephew has enough sensibility to be grateful for a gift for what it is, regardless of price.

It's a present for a 9 yr old. I figured a simple digi camera around the price range of $80 - $100, not sure if that's a realistic figure but that's also why I'm posting this thread.
Reason why is cos I want to avoid the usual games and toys which have a life span of about 48 hrs to a 9 yr old. So I hope to get him interested in photography if I gave him a camera to play with.
Im not looking at the branded cameras cos I considered that he may not be able to handle a sensitive equipment yet, and also he may end up throwing the camera at one corner should he get bored with it.

dennisc said:
buy Fuji or something digicam at 80bucks giant

Thanks I'll go check it out this weekend

NTUC Extra also selling them, Fujifilm and Olympus.

Last edited:
Right. Supermarkets might have..

On a side note..i think a 9 years old would probably prefer to be taken than taking. :bsmilie: Sorry if im wrong.

You also can head to Challenger and get something cheap from Nikon such as L22/L23 if i remember correctly.

I went there last month its like only $129/-.

:)

Dealextreme has a DIY tlr and 35mm slr for 20-30 plus.

Makes a good gift. But must factor shipping time

Digital holga cameras see if u can find one second hand... less buttons more straightforward. Even cheapest modern cam may have settings or dials that will stumble them if they press something by accident.

Unless u want to train them to be cam tech savy

Maybe a FujiFilm Instanx ... ?

Although TS stated "digital camera", I felt this is the best suggestion considering he wants to give to such a young child. Granted there are 9 year olds who could use the app store, i still feel digital could be sophisticated for a young child. Then again, I could be wrong. :dunno: :bsmilie:

oracle0711 said:

His parents will hate u cos the Polaroid film can be quite pricey once ur nephew gets hooked :)

oracle0711 said:

I thought the Fuji Instax would be a great idea as well.