Cheaper hard disk enclosures that takes memory cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

rawsteak

Apr 11, 2008
Hi guys,

Any good experience with the cheaper hard disk enclosures that accepts CF/SD/xD cards for backup storage? As compared to the expensive solid ones like Epson P series, Vosonic, Nexto, etc. Is it cheaper cause of way slower transfer, lack of preview, and more?

Cheaper meaning those < $100 ones found at SLS. ;p

Thanks!

i bought a digimate III touch button series case at $59 . it take CF , SD , MS but the transfer rate very slow. if you dunt mind the transfer rate. is a good buy. so far no problem just the battery cant retain too long bout 4 times of 4GB CF card transfer.

Always use the Digimate with Power supply plugged-in instead of Battery when uploading images to it from the CF cards. My personal experience was that the battery went flat (fully charged previous night) while uploading, and corrupted the images in both the HDD and CF Card.

This could be an isolated case, but no harm noting. It was painful...:(

Thanks for the comments and warnings so far! Seems like just some minor inconveniences, vs spending 10x more for the Epsons and Vosonics.

It really depends on how important you think your data is. Obviously if you are thinking of backup the data from memory card, you are either:
a) making an extra copy of the images (i.e. you will have two copies of the same images), or
b) transfer the images to the portable HD and reformat the card to reuse.

It defeats the purpose of making a backup if you do not have confident that your backup copy is a good one. Will you want to reformat the memory card if you are not sure if the transfer is 100% successful?

I use Sanho's Colorspace which has a hardware based verification to ensure the data that is copied into the HD is the same as the one in the memory card. I beleive Nexto also has the same hardware based verification. These devices will cost more than Digimate III but will cost less than the Epson or Canon models.

If buying digimate, dont buy the touch screen version. Mine crack cos the contact need to press hard to activate. now collecting dust.

Another reason to avoid those without preview is you never know if 100% of your photos are copied to the HD. I had lost some photos on my digimate before because it did continue to copy when it encounter any issue half way.

To be safe, get those with preview. I'm using Canon M80 now.

Actually my experience with digimate differs. mine won't corrupt if batt dies. But i can use the digimate to recover photos from corrupted CF card.

My PD70x works fine with batteries and I find it easy to use as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.