Cheaper DSLR body or Continue with existing system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feryl

Jan 7, 2003
Visit site
Hi,

I need some opinions regarding choice of DSLRs...

Currently, I have a Minolta SLR with a small selection of lenses and flash.(35 - 70mm f4.0, 70 - 210mm f4.0, 28 - 200mm f2.8-5.6, 3600 flash)

I was thinking of getting a DSLR body to complement my SLR and the first to come to mind was a Minolta D7.

However, the D7 is rather expensive (~$2300 for body) compared to a Nikon D70s with kit lens (~$2000).

So, should I:

a) Choose a DSLR that can use my existing lenses/flash, or
b) embark on a whole new system? (which means I have to offload my minolta items and get new Nikon stuff)

Any opinions/comments are welcomed.

Thanks for your attention. :)

a) Choose a DSLR that can use my existing lenses/flash

Go with (a) if you're concerned about cost. You'll spend more to switch system.

IMHO go for the system which you already have which in your case is Minolta. You would save some money on the long run.

For me, if I am no longer happy with my current system, I will sell it off to subsidize my new purchase :lovegrin:

Big Kahuna said:
For me, if I am no longer happy with my current system, I will sell it off to subsidize my new purchase :lovegrin:

But you'd lose big money if you sell your current system, especially a film body :D Unless you really fee the 7D is too much big and heavy ;)

Better go with the current system. All DSLR cameras are good enough for most of us lah.

Cheers and happy shooting...

get the 7D, it is a very capable system that has great built quality and with it, all your lenses become stabilised lenses and you can get fantastic natural light images with it.

Thanks for the comments. :)

So far, I'm rather happy with Minolta, especially the lenses, which I think were a neat bargain. ;)

I was just thinking of bringing a DSLR into the family... but don't want to invest in 2 seperate systems.

I got a latest quote for D70s with kit lens and 1gb card for $1.7K... sounds tempting if I can offload my SLR kit, which seems highly unlikely in the current market :p

Will you be selling your film body?

If yes, I would said change system.
If no, stick to minolta.

With regards to size and weight, my current SLR body is bigger and heavier than the 7D :)

if u dont want to buy new lenses, go fro the dynax 7D
if u want to try white L lens, go for canon
if u want to join the dark side, join nikons

Wait wait. Minolta will launch new 5D soon. more cheaper than 7D.

Status
Not open for further replies.