Cheaper camera but no warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroman

Apr 12, 2006
recently manage to find a cheap DSLR but it does not come with any warranty.... it is about $200 cheaper than local. However as it is purchase overseas it does not comes with any international warranty... is it worth the effort? I am concern as this will be my first DSLR so if there is any problems with it, i wouldn't know what to as well.... anyone got experiences to share??

Everyone has to make that decision now and then when they have money constraints.

Simply put, only you will make the decision. So asking others is of no point, since you are definitely going to be aware of the risks you take. Well, if you are unaware, then in one summary, the difference between warranty and no warranty means repairs in the FIRST year (or whatever warranty period is given, I haven't seen more than one year unless you extend yourself) will be covered by you lor.

So the issue here would be whether you are willing to take the risk. Other people share experience also no use. If one guy suay suay third day camera got problem he share with you, one guy happy happy camera twenty years still working.. Would it affect your decision in any way? I doubt so, and it should not! =)

Everyone has to make that decision now and then when they have money constraints.

Simply put, only you will make the decision. So asking others is of no point, since you are definitely going to be aware of the risks you take. Well, if you are unaware, then in one summary, the difference between warranty and no warranty means repairs in the FIRST year (or whatever warranty period is given, I haven't seen more than one year unless you extend yourself) will be covered by you lor.

So the issue here would be whether you are willing to take the risk. Other people share experience also no use. If one guy suay suay third day camera got problem he share with you, one guy happy happy camera twenty years still working.. Would it affect your decision in any way? I doubt so, and it should not! =)

good point and i agree with you... I am actually asking to if anyone has any bad experience with purchases overseas other than due to manufactuer defect which i am not aware of.... perhaps a better way of asking the question is how many people actually have problems with their D40 since purchase....

this would give an idea of how good the quality of the camera is and it is worth the risk... thanks....

I'd just buy a tried and tested one off the marketplace forum.

$200 seems like is a big saving.
If anything went wrong the first year, hopefully this sum of money is enough to cover.

If budget is not your concern, just get a set with local warranty and
save yourself from the sleepness night if something bad happened. :devil:

Here's the trick.

If the set is from Nikon Singapore, you can still get D40. If it really have something wrong, you can still go to nikon and says that you don't have receipt. then they will check the manufacturing date. If it is within one year (most probably for the case of D40), it will still be warrantied.

But for camera bodies, it must be a SG set.

recently manage to find a cheap DSLR but it does not come with any warranty.... it is about $200 cheaper than local. However as it is purchase overseas it does not comes with any international warranty... is it worth the effort? I am concern as this will be my first DSLR so if there is any problems with it, i wouldn't know what to as well.... anyone got experiences to share??

well, getting a grey set means that if anything happens, you got to send for repair at your cost, whether it is the manufacturer's service centre or others.

chances is always there. with original or grey set, it is the same. both is as likely to have faults. asking around is not of any use, as the rate is slow, so you are more likely to see a difference based on chance only. if u really want to know the exact difference, you got to get a statistics.

moreover, the original manufacturer do not always honor the warranty the way you would expect them to or the way they should. other than that, remember that they dun cover the LCD.

Here's the trick.

If the set is from Nikon Singapore, you can still get D40. If it really have something wrong, you can still go to nikon and says that you don't have receipt. then they will check the manufacturing date. If it is within one year (most probably for the case of D40), it will still be warrantied.

But for camera bodies, it must be a SG set.

how would a sg set be a grey set?

Status
Not open for further replies.