cheap tripod?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

htennek

Hi,
I realise that after an abundance of blurred photos, its time for me to get a tripod. but the thing is that my budget is tight and i would appreciate it if anyone could recommend a good (preferably light) tripod or anywhere i can get one or second-hand ones. i dun need the best, am a newbie after all, but i do need one (cheap). Thanks!

can sell u an old Olympus tripod (7838) for $20... works if u dun mind some dust (as with all my stuff)

about 140cm, detachable plate (QR), and very light, good for digicams...

You may want to state the equipment that you are using.

errm am using eos 300 with the given 28-90mm and a really old 75-300 mm. the 75-300 is heavier than my camera body really and i guess that blurs my shots since i am anything but a bodybuilder.

what is a ballhead? or a platehead? i used my friend's slik tripod for some shoot but it was complicated with so many screws shooting in different directions. i prefer to shoot fast shots, is there any tripod (cheap remember!!) that isn't that complicated? ermm like it just revolves wherever i want it to and has a clasp that locks the camera in place fast?

sorry if i am mixing up the terms. haven't got used to the jargon yet.

a ball head is simply that, a ball joint and when loosend allows you to move in any direction in an x-y-z axis.

A 3-way pan head has 3 levers, each to seperately control the movement in the 3-dimensions and you can control which axis is fixed and which is free to move. 3-way heads allow for more precision and ese of alignment. Personally, i prefer the ball head as it allows me to move quickly in any direction if i need to...really depends on your needs.

remember to get a head with a qucik release, you never know when you might need to pop off a handheld shot in a hurry!

the 75-300 is heavier than my camera body really and i guess that blurs my shots since i am anything but a bodybuilder.

i hope your are not trying to shoot @ 1/30 at 300mm! :)
remember the general rule of the lowest recommended shutter speed for a focal length is 1/focal length for a particular lens. this is important esp at 300mm! thats why IS lenses are a godsend! hehe!

maybe u can try finding one @ carrefour?juz got one from there...cost me ard 16++...ard 120cm tall and weigh 0.6kg...sounds good rite!!:bsmilie:

i think a good one to get is the Slik Able 300 DX. CP selling for $125. Additional plates and carrier cost $12 each. strong and sturdy enough. weighs around 2.5kg though. ;p

if not, then maybe u can try Best Denki. their tripods range from $20+ to $60+. quite lightweight and comes with carrier. $40+ and above ones should be able to tahan some weight. oh yah. they are the quick-release plate type too.

hope its useful info! ;)

I agree the Able 300 is a good buy and steadier than SLIK series if not SLIK U8000 ($60) and above is also fine for your combo.

thanks for all the info. i have no idea what shooting at 1/30 is though. errm i usually shoot with aperture priority and so the shutter speed is set for me. what is IS lens anyway? am not really a techie when it comes to shooting and i have only burnt 40 rolls so far anyway.

anyhow thanks alot. shall go get a ballhead, quick release plated tripod. errm... right?

IS - Image Stabalizer
used by some Canon lens and they are labeled IS. It helps to reduce the effects of handshake in short, there are also other advantages.

I think you can try manfrotto 190 tripod legs, if you are looking at ballheads. Go to Cathay Photo to take a look as they have a wide range of tripods there.

the 190 class is more suited for ur setup then :(, cos the CG for the 75-300 is definitely needing stabler legs...

remember the general rule of the lowest recommended shutter speed for a focal length is 1/focal length for a particular lens. this is important esp at 300mm! thats why IS lenses are a godsend! hehe!

Eh?? 1/ focal length? so if I had a 50MM then it would be 1/50???

Originally posted by Silverelf

Eh?? 1/ focal length? so if I had a 50MM then it would be 1/50???
something like that... although the person holding also got limit.. eg me cannot do anything less than 1/30... 1/300 at 300mm I still get blurred pics

something like that... although the person holding also got limit.. eg me cannot do anything less than 1/30... 1/300 at 300mm I still get blurred pics

Oh you meant without a tripod?? I was wondering why shutter speed is so badly affected when you got a tripod..... paiseh....

hi all, can someone pls recommend a tripod that has the following characteristics & where to get it?

1) light weight & maybe around 1ft when folded
2) simple three-legged, not necessary for mid-support bars
3) use for camera <250g p&s digicam, not for SLR heavy weight
4) extended height, as high as possible! >165cm? I'm tall at 183cm...
5) quick release? (i dunno wat's that actually but sounds impt)
6) eh....cheap too?

got such thing or not? sorrie am newbie...

One more thing, whatever tripod you use, it's of utmost importance that you do not trigger the shutter with your hands - otherwise, you might as well don't use tripod as you will generate some camera movement. Use the self timer or remote release instead.

Regards
CK

Hans, saw something that may suit yr needs at Alan photo the other day. It is a new Slik ballhead type. Very light but may not be very sturdy. Going for S$80.

thanks jeff, thought i've asked a stupid question :dent:

i guess the best thing for me to do is not to be lazy but to check it out physically and pick one i like....

actually i own 2 tripods before in my 35mm film days, they are but only up to ~1.4m tall so i'm wondering if there's such thing as a 1.7m tall tripod that is light....

Originally posted by hans
thanks jeff, thought i've asked a stupid question :dent:

i guess the best thing for me to do is not to be lazy but to check it out physically and pick one i like....

actually i own 2 tripods before in my 35mm film days, they are but only up to ~1.4m tall so i'm wondering if there's such thing as a 1.7m tall tripod that is light....

Slik U8000 - 1.5KG, 1.6M, $55
Slik U9000 - 1.6KG, 1.6M, $65

Status
Not open for further replies.