Cheap n good polarising filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

looonie

Jun 4, 2003
Visit site
hey guys i'll be going on a trip to Nepal soon and realize i need a polarizing filter (circular). wats a good and cheap one and where can i get it?

and, i realized since day 1 my cam has always been fitted with a 58mm UV filter, why is there a need to filter out UV?

looonie said:
hey guys i'll be going on a trip to Nepal soon and realize i need a polarizing filter (circular). wats a good and cheap one and where can i get it?

and, i realized since day 1 my cam has always been fitted with a 58mm UV filter, why is there a need to filter out UV?
Chap and good doesn't mix :bsmilie: . Ok, joking only. Try hoya. It is quite ok. If you want the best, get Nikon or B+W one. But price also a lot different.

Your UV filter is for protection of the lens' front element. UV in Digital Camera (ie.: dSLR) is not as bad as in film camera (ie.: SLR).

Regards,
Arto.

i went to alan photo yesterday, the guy say 58mm Hoya polarising is $70+, wahh. the cheapest one they have is vitacon. $40+. got $20-30 one? else i go buy 2nd hand liao :)

go pasar malam, buy sunglass that's bigger than your lens diameter. ;p

hehe... Seriously, try hoya.... i think the boxes with the green label should be the "entry" level for CPLs... not sure of the price here, but a 77mm CPL (greenboxed) costs around 35$usd.

=)

looonie said:
i went to alan photo yesterday, the guy say 58mm Hoya polarising is $70+, wahh. the cheapest one they have is vitacon. $40+. got $20-30 one? else i go buy 2nd hand liao :)

try CP at marina, I bought Tokina CPL @ 30 for 72mm n 25 for 62mm, lowest so far but i bought a tripod then. they may sell u at +5 more..not too sure.

or go check with digi point at suntec they selling marumi (mc some more) CPL for @$30 (55mm)

looonie said:

Wow..... 58mm Hoya polarising for $70? it is expensive. I don't think I paid that expensive for it. Maybe you should go to John 3:16 next time before deciding buy from Alan Photo.

drewdam said:
try CP at marina, I bought Tokina CPL @ 30 for 72mm n 25 for 62mm, lowest so far but i bought a tripod then. they may sell u at +5 more..not too sure.

or go check with digi point at suntec they selling marumi (mc some more) CPL for @$30 (55mm)

wats CP? and wats MC? i know CPL is circular polarizing filter. yknow, all these terms police NS ppl sure know :bsmilie:

looonie said:
wats CP? and wats MC? i know CPL is circular polarizing filter. yknow, all these terms police NS ppl sure know :bsmilie:

CP - Cathay photo
mc - multi coated

Buy Orginal for best quality ....

looonie said:

wow $70, did they give you the slim type? a normal hoya CPL (58mm) sld cost sumwhere like $40. i tink tokina offer cheaper one tho hoya one are made by tokina as well but i think hoya applied their own coating on it. not sure how the coating affact the quality.

westwest1 said:

filter got fake one?

anyway i didnt even look at the hoya filter cos i was already turned off by the price. thanks guys for the tips

westwest1 said:
Vitacon also original...
Hoya also original...
Nikon also original...
B+W also original...
Marumi also original...

Which one is not original? Care to tell us?

Regards,
Arto.

looonie said:
filter got fake one?

anyway i didnt even look at the hoya filter cos i was already turned off by the price. thanks guys for the tips

can try asking other shop... hoya filters were known to be one of the cheaper type. not the cheapest but the price is really low compared to B+W or nikon :thumbsup:

Want cheap, want fresh, want big milk? There is no such thing. If anything is good, it will not be cheap. That's economics 101. To make something good means it's better than the rest of the market, so it will be priced accordingly.

I think what you are asking is for something that provides decent performance at reasonable price. However, what's "decent" and what's "reasonable" depends very much on the person buying it.

The difference between an excellent polarizer and a decent one may be $50 or so. Why settle for 2nd best, when a trip to Nepal is the chance of a lifetime? Further, if you don't damage it, an excellent polarizer will last longer and have better resale value.

looonie said:

waileong said:
Want cheap, want fresh, want big milk? There is no such thing. If anything is good, it will not be cheap. That's economics 101. To make something good means it's better than the rest of the market, so it will be priced accordingly.

I think what you are asking is for something that provides decent performance at reasonable price. However, what's "decent" and what's "reasonable" depends very much on the person buying it.

The difference between an excellent polarizer and a decent one may be $50 or so. Why settle for 2nd best, when a trip to Nepal is the chance of a lifetime? Further, if you don't damage it, an excellent polarizer will last longer and have better resale value.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: since u paid so much to go nepal, might as well pay a little more for a filter to last u a long time

haha, but i dont have the budget yoh. i just now got quoted $43 for Hoya, $35 for Tokina. i dont think i wanna pay for anything more than $50. how much would a filter that lasts me a lifetime cost? are there any sites that review polarizing filter ;) i wanna see for myself the difference.

Artosoft said:
Vitacon also original...
Hoya also original...
Nikon also original...
B+W also original...
Marumi also original...

Which one is not original? Care to tell us?

Regards,
Arto.

Can the one same as the camera brand i mean...if its available...:think:

westwest1 said:
Can the one same as the camera brand i mean...if its available...:think:
Ya.. ya...

Remember, using 3rd party products will void your warranty :bsmilie: .

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.