Cheap Laptop or PPC with keyboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wai

Jan 17, 2002
South Pole with Penguin
singastro.org
I always recommend hardware to users...but now it is my turn to ask for recommendation.... i am in a dilemma now...

becos my budget is low (<$1k for a used one), i need something that i can use on the road and i only need it for word processing/excel spreadsheet/simple photo editing...

should i get a low-end PIII laptop? or a high-end PPC + keyboard??

PPC have word and excel too...but is it practical to use PPC to CREATE excel spread sheet? for word it is still not so bad....but for excel...isn't the screen too small??

i need long battery life too...may be 2-3 hours...i think most laptop (esp used one) cannot last that long rite...

:dunno:

i saw a brand of notebook selling in funan for 1.5k.. i think the brand is sotec. celeron 1.2 ghz. supposedly 3 hours battery life... dunno if it's a good brand, but i guess it's cheap? especially for a 12-inch one? it's quite over your budget, though, but maybe someone could be selling a unit second hand for less... :D

erm just curious.....

photo editing on b done on the ppc? wouldnt it be too erm slow for editing? (i got no idea...this is just a qns incase its mistaken for a pun)

I think u gotta evaulate like u are buying a camera again.......:p

ppc....quite stylo....but small screen....batt life (i dun really know...cant comment)

laptop.......bigger screen, erm can be used to perform task ppc cannot.....but more ex (???), more storage....but BULKIER than ppc...

apart from ur needs...i guess u also must see if u can get a lappy for ur budget also....:)

Originally posted by Wai
I always recommend hardware to users...but now it is my turn to ask for recommendation.... i am in a dilemma now...

becos my budget is low (<$1k for a used one), i need something that i can use on the road and i only need it for word processing/excel spreadsheet/simple photo editing...

should i get a low-end PIII laptop? or a high-end PPC + keyboard??

PPC have word and excel too...but is it practical to use PPC to CREATE excel spread sheet? for word it is still not so bad....but for excel...isn't the screen too small??

i need long battery life too...may be 2-3 hours...i think most laptop (esp used one) cannot last that long rite...

:dunno:

You won't be doing much photo editing on a PPC with a 2 inch screen right ? If you need to edit photos, I'm afraid the laptop is the way to go. Not only can you edit photos, you can offload your digicam photos onto the harddisk for backup. A laptop battery should last 2-3 hours. If you get a spare batt, you can easily last 4-5 hours. I travel alot in my work, and use my laptop at customer sites, airports, in the airplane, etc. 2 batteries should last you long enough. The downside is that each battery cost $100-200, and of course you have to wait a couple of minutes for the laptop to boot up or wake up.

You can do spreadsheets on a PPC, but the screen is too small. I use Docs To Go and Sheet To Go on my Palm PDA, and though it works, the screen is too small, usable only for the simplest spreadsheets. But this PDA + KB combo is very small and light, and is great for taking notes during meetings.

I guess it boils down to what you want the device for. For PIM purposes ( small, instant-on, long battery life, simple apps ) or for desktop-like useage ( full blown apps and photo editing ).

Status
Not open for further replies.