Cheap DIY Studio Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

oswin

Sep 4, 2006
Can anyone recommend any cheap DIY Lighting for still life photography?

Most of the time I can only shoot at night when there are virtually no natural light. Is there any lighting that can simulate natural light?

I did try some lights from IKEA but that didn't work out very well. The lights from the lamp were too yellow. :bsmilie:

Get the white lights from DIY shop or self fix. Ask the assistant for help. :thumbsup:

Most of the time I can only shoot at night when there are virtually no natural light. Is there any lighting that can simulate natural light?

I did try some lights from IKEA but that did work out very well. The lights from the lamp were too yellow. :bsmilie:

if it is oni the color cast..then u have to do custom white balance or shoot in raw..

I did try some lights from IKEA but that didn't work out very well. The lights from the lamp were too yellow. :bsmilie:

I did my own... but not very powerful yet.

I bought some cheap clip on fixtures with provision for screw on bulbs. Those were going for $6 at my neighbourhood hardware store (Bedok Central). next I bought some bulbs to try, 15W and 20W Philips Tornado lights (these were much more expensive than my fixtures)

I've tried them for my lightbox usage and they are still too low in power if I want to use them diffused (i.e. outside the light tent) Directly, they are quite sufficient.

I did my own... but not very powerful yet.

I bought some cheap clip on fixtures with provision for screw on bulbs. Those were going for $6 at my neighbourhood hardware store (Bedok Central). next I bought some bulbs to try, 15W and 20W Philips Tornado lights (these were much more expensive than my fixtures)

I've tried them for my lightbox usage and they are still too low in power if I want to use them diffused (i.e. outside the light tent) Directly, they are quite sufficient.

zac08, do you mind posting some images of the items that you mention? :embrass:

zac08, do you mind posting some images of the items that you mention? :embrass:

Sure,

just taken :

1482019975_99dc397112_o.jpg

The beige portion is the bulb holder. The black snoot is actually a tube of Lay's potato chip and covered with gaffer tape. ;)

Thanks for the link StreetShooter!

Gonna try to build this from the link: http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_project_light_box

zac08: Thats was fast! Thanks alot! Thats some creative work! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I need to find those clamps, it looks pretty handy.

You can probably just use a cardboard box instead of building one from wood....

Exactly what i was thinking! just a little skeptical if cardboard can hold so much lights+clamps and more.

Off to the hardware store! Thanks for all the tips! :D

Thanks for the link StreetShooter!

Gonna try to build this from the link: http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_project_light_box

zac08: Thats was fast! Thanks alot! Thats some creative work! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I need to find those clamps, it looks pretty handy.

No problems.. looks like they reccomend the same bulbs too... :bsmilie:

the problem with that setup is the hot spots you will get with glossy/shiny objects

I am using a pair of ikea light stands, something like this but with a different head, they cost me $15 each (if i remember correctly)

then i went around to find the brightest bulbs that i could find. there are some china made ones that are more powerful than the ones sold at the DIY shops. just make sure that they are white lights (around 5500K) if not just do a custom white balance before you shoot.

the problem with that setup is the hot spots you will get with glossy/shiny objects

I am using a pair of ikea light stands, something like this but with a different head, they cost me $15 each (if i remember correctly)

then i went around to find the brightest bulbs that i could find. there are some china made ones that are more powerful than the ones sold at the DIY shops. just make sure that they are white lights (around 5500K) if not just do a custom white balance before you shoot.

Hi Ortega, so IKEA lamps can use other brands of bulbs? I've always thought IKEA lamps can only use IKEA bulbs. :embrass:

After going to 2 hardware store, I can't find the lights with attached clamps. I went to IKEA and got a clamp light and a bulb. Gonna try it out first. :D

Hi Ortega, so IKEA lamps can use other brands of bulbs? I've always thought IKEA lamps can only use IKEA bulbs. :embrass:

After going to 2 hardware store, I can't find the lights with attached clamps. I went to IKEA and got a clamp light and a bulb. Gonna try it out first. :D
beware, if the bulb holder state use 60W bulb only, you can use 60W and below bulb, if you use 100W, something is gonne get burn.

Not easy to find... took me a long while before I found these lights for my usage, ;)

Gettiing the IKEA lamps are ok. They all can hold standard bulbs (from any store). IKEA bulbs are yellow aka warm white. You should get hose rated at daylight which are white.

Do take note that socket comes in 2 sizes. Shouldn't be too difficult to differentiate.

As for the wattage rating, if you're using energy saving bulbs, you'll be fine. 60W rating is meant for those incandescent types which gives out tons of heat with poor illumination.

Hope this helps.

Gettiing the IKEA lamps are ok. They all can hold standard bulbs (from any store). IKEA bulbs are yellow aka warm white. You should get hose rated at daylight which are white.

Do take note that socket comes in 2 sizes. Shouldn't be too difficult to differentiate.

As for the wattage rating, if you're using energy saving bulbs, you'll be fine. 60W rating is meant for those incandescent types which gives out tons of heat with poor illumination.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tip. I paid 3.95 for the IKEA Lamp and $12 for the IKEA bulb :bheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.