Charity for Siem Reap kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

arywn

Dec 31, 2009
Hi all,

I am making a trip to Siem reap from 21 to 26 Jan 2010.
As I make phototrips to Siem Reap a few times every year, I made it a point to return something in kind back to the people or commnity there.
In the past, we have bought stationery for contribution to the school kids at the Tongle Sap lake area. We also bought books for the Rainbow Village orphaned kids too. We hlep the monks document the ceramic making process at Bahkheng vllage.

This year, I have collected a few handy compact point & shoot cameras to be given away to these kids to let them start off their photo interest.
I am not aiming to give them expensive camera but simple straighforward ones which uses AA batteries will be desireable as these kids have some problems charging the cams.

So, you may want to look around your storeroom or house for spring cleaning, & take out your old & not used cameras. if you want to contribute your old but still functioning cameras for a charitable cause, I'll gladly bring it up for you to the kids.

To make things complete, please ensure that you have the following in your set to be given to them bacause they'll have problem getting such stuffs which are missing from the set:

1. The camera itself
2. The charger
3. The storage media eg. CF, SD, xD or Sony memory cards (dun need it to be high capacity)
4. Manual (not important though)

For example, I am giving my Nikon L11 model P&S camera for them. It's just a humble 2megapixel P&S cam using 2 AA batteries & giving them a 2 Gb SD card. No need box or bags or beautiful pouch. Think practical for them la.

It's that simple.
If you are keen to join this cause, drop me a PM & I will contact you to meet up to get the camera from you.

Please note that I am NOT earning or making a profit from this project. it's just my little gesture to give back to the less priviledged people in our neighbouring country.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi TS, the cause sounds noble........ however, you have a history of about a month at CS with a grand total of 3 posts (mostly WTS, at the time of my post) ....... is there anyway (like affliation to an NGO) to verify/authenticate this ? Of course its not necessary but could well give CS'ers more comfort in donating

Otherwise, an endorsement by an established CS'er who can vouch for you would help greatly

best wishes

Last edited:
i will be glad to donate my old canon A40 if the moderator could help check if this is a genuine donation drive. :)

used clothing and bags can or not?

Proof and testimonials aside, beside the fact that TS was online an hour ago and has not replied, it seems odd that TS's profile lists TS as a 'female', while the appeal message is signed off with a male name, "Jeff"?

I'm afraid that gender deception itself may have many implications.

Nonetheless, this could easily be a case of another person (Jeff) using a female member's account to post, but why not mention it upfront? Usually, claims after a contradictory fact has been revealed lacks credibility or authenticity.

Also, the appeal for cameras using AA batteries:
I am not aiming to give them expensive camera but simple straighforward ones which uses AA batteries will be desireable as these kids have some problems charging the cams.

Then later on:
1. The camera itself
2. The charger

Does the TS want AA rechargeable batteries as well as the chargers for the batteries?

Then how does this statement make sense?:
these kids have some problems charging the cams

Would one deduct that the problem(s) encountered could be due to lack of electricity sources, or problems with the simple act of plugging a jack into the camera or battery charger? If so, wouldn't either possibility render the request for a digital camera, or rechargeable batteries (for a film compact I assume) redundant?

Please pardon my doubts, but something or somethings do not seem to be adding up.

Giving them cameras seems like a very apt gesture given the nature of our hobby, but I have to ask (without knowing much about the financial and facilities over there)

What happens when the AA batteries die?
How would the kids access the photos taken, are there CPU?

My main concern is how sustainable this act would be, or will the cameras end up as white elephants?

Proof and testimonials aside, beside the fact that TS was online an hour ago and has not replied, it seems odd that TS's profile lists TS as a 'female', while the appeal message is signed off with a male name, "Jeff"?

I'm afraid that gender deception itself may have many implications.

Nonetheless, this could easily be a case of another person (Jeff) using a female member's account to post, but why not mention it upfront? Usually, claims after a contradictory fact has been revealed lacks credibility or authenticity.

Also, the appeal for cameras using AA batteries:

Then later on:

Does the TS want AA rechargeable batteries as well as the chargers for the batteries?

Then how does this statement make sense?:

Would one deduct that the problem(s) encountered could be due to lack of electricity sources, or problems with the simple act of plugging a jack into the camera or battery charger? If so, wouldn't either possibility render the request for a digital camera, or rechargeable batteries (for a film compact I assume) redundant?

Please pardon my doubts, but something or somethings do not seem to be adding up.

I for one do not tolerate fraud nor troublemakers in CS - many know me for my "no nonsense" here in CS.

However, in this case, I know the TS very well since the formation of ClubSNAP. I will vouch for him. This is a genuine kind gesture that he is doing for the kids and local there. Nothing to be suspicious, take it from me.

Cheers :)

Hi Jeff,

I was wondering if giving cameras to the kids is a good idea? Do they have the money to print the pics later on? They likely don't have computers to look at the results? Or do they at school?

I prefer to give more practical things that they need more urgently.......

I have been to Siem reap 2x but not to schools so I don't know the exact situation, but I do know at home they don't have computers......

HS

old camera bag can??? got a few i think.

I for one do not tolerate fraud nor troublemakers in CS - many know me for my "no nonsense" here in CS.

However, in this case, I know the TS very well since the formation of ClubSNAP. I will vouch for him. This is a genuine kind gesture that he is doing for the kids and local there. Nothing to be suspicious, take it from me.

It's really good that you chimed in to help PE. ;)

Glad to hear of someone doing this to bring a glimmer of joy into these kids lives! :lovegrin:

Last edited:

ok since moderator gave his word here. i will be glad to donate my first digital camera which i dun intend to keep. but i cannot find my charger anymore although i got 4 x AA rechargeable battery plus the camera and cf cards to donate. :)

TS is welcome to pm me for collection.

TS called me last night........ he is someone i have known for a few years now (and recently registered with CS) . You may (if you so wish to) donate in peace that the donation will go where he says it will go to

I still dont know why he registered himself as a woman tho' ............

:)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Din know my post attracted so much attention...lol!

Thanks to Ed & PE for giving the vote of trust to me.

Sorry for not being clear enough. What I mean is to give them camera that uses AA or AAA batteries as they are quite easily found in the town of Siem Reap.
For for those that wish to give away their P&S camera that uses rechargeable battery, you are welcome too. In this case, I think it is only reasonable to include the charger with the set.

Please note that this is my personal gesture to bring it up for the community there. if you don;t feel comfortable passing it to me for this cause, I am ok with it for you to do it through your own means or channel. No hard feelings. Anyway, to avoid problem at the customs, I am not able to bring many set up as well. Between my travelling partner and me, we'll probably bring not more than 4-5 sets this trip.

For Hong Sien's concern, I do know the locals print out their photos at the local photo shops who is able to print directly from the memory cards the photo they want. I do know the people there exercise prudence in the choice of the photo they choose to print in view of their budget. How much they want to spend on printing the photos they take, I leave it to the individual that will be using it in future. Based on what I know, they usually don't edit their photos but the kind-hearted boss of the local photo shop may just help them "enhance" a little before they print for them at their photo machine in 4R.

Much as I want to bring as much stuff that they need on each trip but I am only a single individual, so there's a limit on the amount of stuff I can bring up. I give kudos to previous trips by Circle of Light & Eddie's Crossing Bridges trip that brought in bigger quantities of stuff that helped the communities over there. Until such opportunity arise again, I will just make do with my meagre efforts. I think "Every efforts counts".

Sinned79, Send you my contacts already. Thanks for your kindness.

Thanks to Sinned79 for your generosity. I'll get yr camera to the right person who needs it.
I am closing the collection now & will bring 2 sets of camera (mine & Sinned79) to the people at Siem Reap.

Thanks.

Thanks to Sinned79 for your generosity. I'll get yr camera to the right person who needs it.
I am closing the collection now & will bring 2 sets of camera (mine & Sinned79) to the people at Siem Reap.

Thanks.

you welcome. hope more can donate for a good cause. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.