Charities in Singapore ..... gone case!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canonised

Aug 27, 2003
SINGAPORE : Local charity Youth Challenge has been found to have many irregularities and lacking in governance, management and financial controls.
The probe on Youth Challenge started in August last year after some students blew the whistle on its practices.

The COC investigation revealed the organisation lacked transparency and had been giving misleading information on the remuneration of its Executive President Vincent Lam.

The key findings - Lam's total annual remuneration of $248,867 which ended last year, was more than half of total donations and other income earned by the charity.

The COC said Lam was paid various benefits and allowances, well above civil service and charity sector norms. No system of annual performance evaluation was in place.

Youth Challenge also allowed blank cheques to be pre-signed by signatories.

Also of grave concern was the fact that Lam was able to transact electronic payments, including his salary, without a second level of approval.

Lam has resigned from his post on Monday. ............ Channelnewsasia.com

After these, who are going to trust them again? :think:

maybe tt's why sunddenly got so many new charities sprouting out, the new way to be millionaires....

i have already lost confidence in the system, everytime i see someone pushing a donation tin, i'll just say no politely.:(

Well, this type of case, bound to happen. Remember Barings ,APB ,SIA, CAO case ? I'm just wondering which big firm is next .

maybe tt's why sunddenly got so many new charities sprouting out, the new way to be millionaires....

i have already lost confidence in the system, everytime i see someone pushing a donation tin, i'll just say no politely.:(

IIRC , there was a case of some Indian guy who registered a Foundation and solicited donations , but where the donations had gone to help the poor n needy, wasn't transparent .

you can say no to all the charities.In singapore there alot of charities to be done and yet we have limit sources

Have been doing “charity” by paying all kind of taxes liao :) … at least there should be a reliable and transparent system for this purpose … until then let the govment do the charity works … kekeke

How come there is no charity organisation for the photographers?

13mp Cameras and L lenses are not cheap you know.

How come there is no charity organisation for the photographers?

13mp Cameras and L lenses are not cheap you know.

hey, what are you complaining about? so many benevolent people out there giving opportunities to newbies to break into the photography market, is that not charity? :angel:

But some say when they started initially, did not take pay for a year but no one took pity on them then. What to say?? :dunno:

You say local charities... what about international charities? :think:

I am happy the garment is doing a clean sweep. Isn't transparency what we are after?

Once i saw a ceo of a charitable org in usa news. (color) cross - pls do not spell for me.

A huge man he was, so swollen he couldnt see his toes. When asked by the reporter why he required a 7 digit salary, he mentioned that competent people needs to be paid well. If the pay is not good, you cant get the right element to lead.

In local context, "pay peanut gets monkey" is about the same message.

So, I feel it is right these top guns get paid (near) market value for what they are worth so long the books remain clean. After all, they are only an employee.

Undoubtedly, charity do carry an emotional element to skew public's perspective.

hope he gets arrested like durai

i guess these criminals are not scared enough until government implement capital punishment same as those under drugs offences... hanged !

eat charities monies ! this is a terrible sin ! ;(

:think:

There are of course are few black sheep, however there are some organisations that are real and really need help. If one is adverse to giving money then one can help physically. Organisations like Mercy Relief need volunteers in the form or medical staff, videographers, photographers, graphic artistes etc. Of course there is no fees so those who insist they don't do free jobs cant apply.

At the end of the day Charities get corrupted because we dont question, we just blindly give so you cant totally blame them.

Not so unusual..even the garment themselves are not so transparent after all..
monkey see, monkey do..and all monkey get paid peanuts..

At the end of the day Charities get corrupted because we dont question, we just blindly give so you cant totally blame them.

Yeah right.....it's our fault that they get corrupted....

Solution is simple then: Don't Give Anything To Charitable Organisation Lor!;p

Yeah right.....it's our fault that they get corrupted....

Solution is simple then: Don't Give Anything To Charitable Organisation Lor!;p

I not saying not to give but question where is your money going to. This makes the organisations more on the ball and more accountable.

In many instances for example during flag day, even the flag sellers dont know who they are selling flags for.... In instances like this how hard is it to garner funds in the name of Charity when no one questions?

Just like the Indian chap who set up a charity and named his parents are the directors. Garnered funds and when asked why is he not doing anything, he said he wanted to amass a comfortable amount before offering aid to anyone....

However the disturbing thing is he registered as a Charity with ease and people donated without asking. He only got exposed when he copied the advertisting print of other charities and used it as his own.

It seems that all the fire is directed on local charities.

Does it mean that other international charities are totally absolved of such incidents? Or do ppl simply practice selective seeing and hearing? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.