charging rate of a freelance photo assistant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarlceiss

Deregistered
Aug 5, 2007
Hi all,

I would like to find out the charging rate of a freelance photo assistant, say with a year plus of assisting in commercial photography studio.

A few qns I would like to ask is:

1) Who determines the rate? The studio or the assistant? If it's the latter, what is the market rate for the above-mentioned? I know it depends, but would like to know a rough gauge of half-day, full-day, OT, etc.

2) Is there a industry standard for obtaining the paycheck? Do we have to issue an invoice and wait? Or do we get the pay on the spot? I notice some studios pay their part-timers on a monthly basis.

3) What is the general expectation of freelance photo assistant? Do they require us to have our own lighting equipment or vehicle? Do they expect us to set the lightings for the entire shoot?

That's all I can think of at the moment. Hopefully some kind souls can provide some enlightening experiences. It would also be helpful for others who wish to find out more about assisting. :)

Cheers, happy holidays!

Hi all,

I would like to find out the charging rate of a freelance photo assistant, say with a year plus of assisting in commercial photography studio.
an assistant with 1 yr experience should know all these...:think:

1) Who determines the rate? The studio or the assistant? If it's the latter, what is the market rate for the above-mentioned? I know it depends, but would like to know a rough gauge of half-day, full-day, OT, etc.
its all negotiated... an assistant can have a rate, but if the particular shoot is interesting/challenging, or if it is for a long term relationship, the rate can go up or down...

2) Is there a industry standard for obtaining the paycheck? Do we have to issue an invoice and wait? Or do we get the pay on the spot? I notice some studios pay their part-timers on a monthly basis.
usually the assistant should issue an invoice... studios may pay them on a monthly basis, but this is probably due to finance/accounting reasons, and invoice/s for the month are cleared in one shot to facilitate bookkeeping... or studios may choose to pay as and when the job happens... depends on the work, standard practice of the studios, relationship btw studio and assistant, etc...

3) What is the general expectation of freelance photo assistant? Do they require us to have our own lighting equipment or vehicle? Do they expect us to set the lightings for the entire shoot?
an assistant with 1 yr experience should know his/her way around the equipment, setting up of lights according to photographers expectations/instructions, how to handle photographic equipment, able to carry all the tables, chairs, laptops, etc., how to take order for food and refreshments (really) and preferably where to get these cheap around the studio or on location... I don't think anyone expects assistants to own lights... some photographers don't even own lights and rent them... vehicles are probably not essential as well but would be useful, or at least a license to drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.