Charging NiHM

Status
Not open for further replies.
renegade said:
Does charging NiMH AA batteries before they are fully discharged reduce their performance/life?

yes they do, you should use them till they are fully discharged before charging them again.

renegade said:
Does charging NiMH AA batteries before they are fully discharged reduce their performance/life?
Not necessarily, but it is a good practice to do a full discharge once in a while to keep the batteries in tip top condition. ;)

I'm using two Mahas, with and without the discharge function. :thumbsup:

answer is no actually. Ni-MH suffers little from the memory effect (the name of the phenomenon you are afraid of), which is more applicable to Ni-Cd batteries. In fact you should limit your discharging/reconditioning of Ni-MH batteries because of their somewhat limited charge cycles. Perhaps you can do it once a month, depending on usage, if you are really paranoid about memory effect.

Apparently not.. Agree with wacko, in fact the more you do a discharge and recharge you're reducing the limited charge cycles.

Here's a link that explain more,
http://www.dansdata.com/gz011.htm

An extracts from the above link relating to the topic,
But they're usually doing unnecessary charge/discharge cycles. Which is bad.

If you flatten a battery before you recharge it - some people flatten their batteries manually, and some chargers do it automatically - you greatly reduce the life of the pack. A given battery pack may last for 500 full cycles, or 2000 partial ones. If you're fully flattening the battery by actually using it, then fair enough. But flattening it as part of the recharging process is goofy.

I've 2 pcs of Canon NB-4H (one is new). If I recharge the
battery after full usage it charges very quickly (LED
stop blinking) but the when I use it it goes flat in
very short time. I had do a discharge / charge cycle
to make the battery last longer. I'm now worried,
if discharging going to make the battery life shorter
then I'm in trouble. Furthermore this battery is rare.

Any tips guys ?

Caussway said:
I've 2 pcs of Canon NB-4H (one is new). If I recharge the
battery after full usage it charges very quickly (LED
stop blinking) but the when I use it it goes flat in
very short time. I had do a discharge / charge cycle
to make the battery last longer. I'm now worried,
if discharging going to make the battery life shorter
then I'm in trouble. Furthermore this battery is rare.

Any tips guys ?
I suspect the charger is not terribly advanced, thus it doesn't utilise a optimum charging logarithm. Why don't you try leaving the battery in the trickle charge mode for 12 hours, and see if you get a better charge (without using the discharge/refresh function).

Status
Not open for further replies.