Charging for DVDs and file processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlock

Feb 28, 2004
www.superhyperreal.com
What do people charge for the above services?
I've been asked to put more high rez images from a shoot onto DVDs to be sent to my client and I need to charge for this service.

Also, does anyone charge for processing files from RAW to TIFF?

cd/dvd-r recording can be anywhere from $50-$80/cd or dvd-r not inclusive of delivery charges. some photographers choose to do it for free. processing from raw file to tiff with retouching is approx $30 to $60/image.

Charge Charge Charge....

for it is your cost.. and you are spending time on it... what if the client order and order again... are you willing to burn and burn for them again and again.... ???

just call it save the earth or something.... let them know it will be cheaper if they can come and copy the items from you... better for the environment....

wesley, how about if no retouching is involved, how much do you think is a good price to charge. We're looking at about 600 images here (!!!)
Basically I'm doing a favour beyond the terms of my contract for a job by providing high rez files
from the shoot, but I'm looking to make sure I don't get taken advantage of.

btw nice to see your new work...hope all's well in paris

wesley, how about if no retouching is involved, how much do you think is a good price to charge. We're looking at about 600 images here (!!!)
Basically I'm doing a favour beyond the terms of my contract for a job by providing high rez files
from the shoot, but I'm looking to make sure I don't get taken advantage of.

btw nice to see your new work...hope all's well in paris

thanks. =)

about the extra files, it's a bit tricky, they probably have a budget for the files and they are fishing, it's highly unlikely they will be getting the whole lot. you could either try to intuit their budget OR you can just charge $20-$40/file for the 600 and see their response. sure it adds up to a lot of numbers but you are processing each file with your time and effort.

be sure to ask a few more folks in your industry for more info, pricing is quite arbitrary.

Wes

for first set of DVDs, just give for free... treat it as good will... any subsequent replacement, just charge for materials, delivery and some token "processing fee" so you don't become an image backup for the client...

as for the extra files, you can charge them according to the number of files they want and give them a staggered rate... the more files they buy, the cheaper it gets...

an update:
I charged $60 a DVD which I felt was reasonable and a discounted processing fee.

After spending the time sourcing out the images, making minor tweaks, burning the DVDs, sending them out, etc etc, I didn't feel so bad about charging anymore.

I would encourage everyone to state on their contracts too regarding additional costs involving this sort of issue (it's a good thing I stated on my contract that additional dvds are chargeable...)

What do people charge for the above services?
I've been asked to put more high rez images from a shoot onto DVDs to be sent to my client and I need to charge for this service.

Also, does anyone charge for processing files from RAW to TIFF?
I'm currently charging $80-$120 per DVD. Properly packaged and presented with printing using thermal re-transfer on the disc itself, etc.

However if the client request to re-touch the photos, I guess you can go via per image as suggested by wesley. I reckon I'd be charging based on per image if the clients require me to retouch the images. Retouching is a very tricky term, do cover for cases where the client comes back and asked to redo due to the image differs from what he actually wanted.

Yes retouching is a difficult thing to gauge. How do you guys decide on how much to charge? Especially if the client comes back and asks for more changes each time

Yes retouching is a difficult thing to gauge. How do you guys decide on how much to charge? Especially if the client comes back and asks for more changes each time

Hi

Either:

a. Lock the client in contractually to 2 changes

AND/OR

b. Have the client come over to the studio to do retouching on the spot with the retoucher.

Retoucher charge (no complex DI comps etc) is approx 100-150/hr.

Regards
Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.