Chargers running too hot? Try MiracleThaw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

synapseman

May 6, 2003
State of Confusion
www.pbase.com
As most of us have learnt, battery chargers will charge more efficiently and batteries will last longer when they charge at a cooler temperature. I've been trying to think of a cost-effective heat-dissipating solution and I think I've found it in the form of the MiracleThaw(tm) defrosting plate!

51400376.jpg

It's just basically a large aluminium plate that acts as a heat-sink. I've seen purpose-built aluminium cooling pads (for notebooks), but they cost almost 80 bucks. Even though it's got two cooling fans, that's quite a bit to pay. I scored this thaw-thing for $9.90 off Y!Auctions!

It used to be everywhere where TV-Media "as-seen-on-TV!" products were sold. Now quite difficult to find, lah. But if you can find it, it's a great solution for your charger overheating problems. You will be able to thaw your frozen meat AND charge your batteries at the same time! How cool (pun!) is that?! :cool:

Hmm... Dunno if it's a good idea to "heat sink" the charger. Some chargers detect only temperature changes (instead of a combination of various means) in order to determine when to cut off the charging or switch to trickle mode. Charging at cooler temperature simply means using lower charging currents, at 0.1C. That means if the battery is 2500mAh, the charging current will not be greater than 250mA. This "slow charging" enhances battery life. Fast charging, however, uses current at 0.5C to 1C. So if you're fast charging and the charger doesn't cut off at full charge due to the reduced temperature, the batteries may suffer.

brilliant idea... cheap heat sink :bsmilie:

idea.... maybe can use this on the flash head too ;p my flash generally gets pretty hot during use....

mpenza said:
idea.... maybe can use this on the flash head too ;p my flash generally gets pretty hot during use....

idea... can also try putting over tungsten bulb so that it will not be so warm on the subject... but got come in transparent color? ;p

There's an even cheaper option. Buy an aluminium plate and some thermal paste! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.