CHARGED DOUBLE at camera shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

billpepsi

Jan 2, 2005
The 3rd Rock
source: http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,170242,00.html?

NP_IMAGES_DLCHEAT.jpg

NP_IMAGES_DLCHEAT-WPZ.jpg

The Electric New Paper :
CHARGED DOUBLE at camera shop
# Man returns to get refund, claims he was told to get out
# Shop denies this
HE thought he had a bargain on his hands.
09 July 2008

HE thought he had a bargain on his hands.

But Mr Narayan, 35, ended up paying double the price.

On 25 Jun, the marketing consultant went to Sim Lim Square to buy some MP3 players as gifts for his friends. While there, he went into a camera store to look at the lenses on sale.

After some bargaining, he bought a Sigma macro lens for $1,485. He also got two filters, which cost about $20 each, as freebies.

Mr Narayan paid for it using his American Express (Amex) card.

But he said he still wasn't convinced about the price.

He logged on to the Internet to check the actual price of the lens and found that it was priced around $750 at various retailers - almost half of what the shop had charged him.

'I realised that they had made a fool out of me,' Mr Narayan told The New Paper.

Mr Narayan, a foreign national, also realised he had not been given an invoice for his purchase, and the warranty card was unstamped.

The next day, he went back to the shop to seek redress.

There, Mr Narayan claims, he was first shown a few price lists and told that the price he paid was the correct one.

When he insisted that the shop had made a mistake, he was told that they had already settled payment with Amex, and that they could not refund him the difference.

Instead, he was offered a teleconverter.

Mr Narayan refused the offer and repeated his request for a refund.

Then, Mr Narayan alleged, the shop manager took his lens, kept it behind the counter, and told him: 'You get out. You did not return the lens to me, you do whatever you want.'

Mr Narayan said at that point he feared for his safety.

'They looked like they wanted to beat me up,' he said.

He left the store but returned a while later and wrangled with the manager until he got a cash refund of $705 and the macro lens with a fresh invoice.

As he left the shop, the staff allegedly told him: 'Don't try to act smart. Just get out of here immediately.'

When The New Paper visited the shop last week, the manager admitted that he had charged Mr Narayan double the retail price.

He also admitted that in the heat of the moment, he might have been 'a little hot-tempered'.

DENIAL

But he denied threatening Mr Narayan.

'There were other customers in the store. How to threaten? The other customers will be scared away,' he said.

A check with Sigma Singapore Marketing revealed that the shop in question is an authorised retailer of their products.

Mr Seah Seng Choon, executive director of the Consumers Association of Singapore (Case), confirmed that Case had received negative feedback against the shop before.

'We received two cases in total, one each in 2007 and 2008,' revealed Mr Seah.

Case does not investigate or take action unless a consumer lodges a formal complaint.

For now, Mr Narayan has decided to let the matter rest.

'I got my money back,' he said.

By Daryl Lim, newsroom intern

Hmm... I'm guessing the shop: S*** B*****rs? :think:

Hmm... I'm guessing the shop: S*** B*****rs? :think:

You mean Song Brothers?? Last time I bought a VCD/LD player from them, got a good bargain for the player, but they later used the "Last Day Promotion" tactic and got me to get a very expensive video cable. ;(

Lesson learnt is, buy what you need. Can always get the accessories later.

You mean Song Brothers?? Last time I bought a VCD/LD player from them, got a good bargain for the player, but they later used the "Last Day Promotion" tactic and got me to get a very expensive video cable. ;(

Lesson learnt is, buy what you need. Can always get the accessories later.

Uh-Oh, shouldn't use names... Otherwise the shops may sue you for slander! :bigeyes:

Hmm.. this sound familar. :)
A CS-er also posted the same situation

willing seller willing buyer.

that man got no ground for refund or whatsoever.

good job! he not only post here and inform us, he report to newpaper as well...gd luck to that shop liao...

HAHAHA! Saw a similar situation posted by a CS-er some time ago too. Good that the newspaper reported about this. =)

Anyway, just to share something that happened to me once. There was this time when I went to one of those shops on the second floor. Asked them the price for a Sigma 17-70mm lens. I was quoted $500 bucks.

My first reaction was: wtf! Thats a friggin' good bargain! Better faster buy. So I went and withdraw the cash.

Then I went back to the shop, the 500 bucks quote still stood. And they were going to process the order. Then I 'geh kiang', go and double confirm with them the price and the salesperson asked his friend, then his friend told him he read his price code wrongly liao, actual price is $650.

Crap man... I should have just shut up and paid up. But I was too wary of the perils of shopping at Sim Lim Level 1 and 2 to the extent of being over careful. Could have put one over them for all the consumers out there! Haaaiiizzzzz..... :cry:

yar, i usually do research before buying..

if you do your research before buying, and choose not to buy, also like that. not just camera shops what. i kena moneychanger (not in sg, london) before. 10 minutes between walking in and out of the store, pound to zloty rates become 1:5 to 1:3.8. win liao lor!

Seriously, in this day an age of instant information, there's simply no excuse not to do homework first. Sorry lor, but nowsaday when people (expecially those who can manage to find their way into ClubSnap) kpkb about being conned, I say they deserve it.

Seriously I think those new to photography should just avoid Sim Lim Square altogether. Too many wolves around. Each time i go there to buy PC products, I would see all the wolves hovering around at the first floor, really bad atmosphere for shopping.

Seriously I think those new to photography should just avoid Sim Lim Square altogether. Too many wolves around. Each time i go there to buy PC products, I would see all the wolves hovering around at the first floor, really bad atmosphere for shopping.

YES! agreed! Sim Lim is a dangerous place :eek: newbies get eaten for breakfast by those wolves. honestly :eek:

I admire and congratulate him for getting his money back.. But his face plastered on a national newspaper ar.... Haiyo... Every SLS shopkepper knows who he is le.

Beside new to photography, they are preying on the tourist too. They would always wear a smile and slang their "English" to get attention. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.