Charged $1 for receiving an unsolicited CNY greeting SMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

berryhappy

Apr 26, 2003
www.berryhappy.com
Hi,

Has anyone encountered a similar situation?

I received my M1 hp bill last friday with an item under Value Added Services, from mTouche Service 77330 (Tel: 64230392, http://www.mtouche.com) for 1 access for $1.

On Sat, I called M1. They told me to check with the 3rd-party service provider directly. They only receive the instruction to bill. They cannot cancel the charges unless they receive instructions from the 3rd-party service provider. They also told me that I am not able to block any sender from sending sms to me.

This afternoon, I called mTouche, they told me that it's a CNY greeting SMS sent by a company called Global Fund or something. Yes, I received the SMS. No, I did not request for the sms and have no idea who the sender is. They will waive the charge if I fax in my invoice.

I checked mTouche's website, and here's what I found:
"mTouche™ has full direct connections to the Mobile Network Operators each of the four countries we are in.
We are capable of reaching all their mobile subscribers."
Including in Singapore, SingTel, M1, & Starhub.

My questions are:
1. Can M1 allow entities to bill me for receiving unsolicited sms?
2. Does this mean that there is a possibility that any entity is able to send CNY sms greetings to around 4 million people in Singapore and receive S$4 million for it?
3. Is there any way to prevent/regulate entities from pushing unsolicited content to handphone users and charging them for it?

You're not the first, several others have kena from mtouche on HWZ.

I've yet to get my bill.

Tell them you are not going to pay. Write to the newspaper if you have to. They can't afford all the publicity. Bad for business.

Not only on M1. My SingTel Mobile bill have also being charged for MTouche too. I called up Singtel, they told me what M1 told the threadstarter. I then got the MTouche contact number from the Singtel staff and then subsequently called MTouche to terminate their 'services'. The charges stopped after the next bill.

Thanks. I've just emailed to info@ida.gov.sg. How can I terminate a service that I did not engage?

What's the email for Today newspaper? I can't find on their website.

I wonder how much this company has been able to get away with thus far? I'm sure some less careful users would have overlooked their charges and paid up unknowingly. A $1000 fine in the past is a drop in the ocean compared to what they must have reaped from this "bug" in their registration protocols.

Write to IDA and let the authorities deal with it once and for all.

now I am worried, I have received this chinese greeting sms from 77330 also during new year time also, without knowing from who, still have to receive my bill yet.

Can we consider class action suit for this kind of thing to both the company and service provider, if there is enough people to log complain :think: .

I hate to waste my time, energy, phone charge, money on this kind of refund thingy.:complain:

I too was shocked and called M1 customer service immediately.
they are looking into this and was told many had called to complained.

What's the role of M1 and Singtel in this? Could they have said, no, mtouche, we won't help you deliver the mass sms?

igpenguin said:
What's the role of M1 and Singtel in this? Could they have said, no, mtouche, we won't help you deliver the mass sms?

I see M1 and singtel just sat there and collect $1.00. Why would there want to terminate the income. It is the same as some bank send free credit card and start to charge you, good money for them. One dollar penut. :) ;p

go look for MP,they would not want to be the next victim.:bsmilie:

What about those on M1 pre-paid card, I did received some CNY message. ??

Status
Not open for further replies.