Charge for taking concert photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elutris

Mar 15, 2002
Upper Bukit Timah
www.elutris.net
Hi,

I have been asked to take Chinese Orchestra concert photos at the Esplanade for a night and am wondering what would be a reasonable price.

I am just an serious amatuer photog. Some of my past concert photos can be found at www.pbase.com/elutris/

have you worked out a budget with CAC Chinese Orchestra yet?

I am not sure if it's the CAC Chinese Orchestra. This assignment is recommended to me by a friend's friend from NUS. Am not sure about the details but was asked to give a quote.

did they specify any kinda requirements and how many rolls? usually the more complex the project, the more you charge...

Originally posted by elutris
I am not sure if it's the CAC Chinese Orchestra. This assignment is recommended to me by a friend's friend from NUS. Am not sure about the details but was asked to give a quote.

Oh, i thought it's the CO from NTU :embrass:

charge negative, film, prints, service. this is the basic structure (for me at least).

I taken a few other oen night assignments before and have charged $200 for service, and around $150 for film, processing, and presentation.

Would this be a reasonable price?

i recommend that you look at the details first. then u can forecast the amount of film needed and the time you are expected to spend on the event.

with more information, you can come up with a more accurate quote.

i had not done any freelance work before, but that's the way on i was asked to quote for school events (no service charge of course, but ECA points in return).

Hi

Coming from my various experiences at shooting concerts.......u should really ask wat's required of you before u quote.

Because.....

1) Don't forget to factor in shots that are not of the performance. Things like preparation, pre-concert shots, group shots, post concert celebration shots, performers / musicians with friends shots etc etc etc.

Your film usage is likely to be higher than you thought.

2) If there are special VIPs eg MPs you need to factor in that as well. More work means you ask for more money.

3) Purpose of the photos. Archival? Advertisement? For publication?

4) If performance is over a few days, how many days are u required to be there?

Originally posted by ckiang

A bit low, yah? ;)

Regards
CK

If you pay me $200 to photograph 1 concert + raw material costs I'll be thrilled. dunno about my standard tho' :)

Originally posted by erwinx

If you pay me $200 to photograph 1 concert + raw material costs I'll be thrilled. dunno about my standard tho' :)
To be able to compete with you, I put my price at $199 :)

Seems as photography is less rewarding here, as compared to US. Somebody in US said that his minimum charge is US$600, and turn-down any photo-assigment below that amount. See here:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003XdT

I am just an serious amatuer photog.
I can't help but find this statement a little contradictory...but I still get what you're trying to say. :)

A few years back, I photographed a number of concerts for NUS Centa for the Arts (CFA) (Orchestra, symphonic band, harmonica band) and I only charged $150 for service, and submitted all my receipts for film and development and claimed the exact amount. Sometimes the rates are based on $70 an hour.

Originally posted by tsdh

To be able to compete with you, I put my price at $199 :)

Seems as photography is less rewarding here, as compared to US. Somebody in US said that his minimum charge is US$600, and turn-down any photo-assigment below that amount. See here:
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=003XdT

Ah, then someone will offer $198, and so on. Spoil market. ;p

Regards
CK

Thanks to all for your feedback,

I just obtained more details about the event and will be sending in my quotation soon. It turns out to be an afternoon and evening event so I guess the charges won't be just $200 this time round.

Thanks to everyone for their valuable feedback! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.