changing lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron001

Sep 29, 2004
serangoon area
if you change lens with a fan blowing strongly from the rear of the camera(opposite from the lens mount opening), will it minimize dust going into the chamber or will there be a vacumn and draw in more dust? any engineering guru or someone with more common sense can comment? :D

also, i assume toilet is the lease dusty place in the home to change lens...?:)

aaron001 said:
if you change lens with a fan blowing strongly from the rear of the camera(opposite from the lens mount opening), will it minimize dust going into the chamber or will there be a vacumn and draw in more dust? any engineering guru or someone with more common sense can comment? :D

not true, indoors may be more dusty than you think, infact everywhere is dusty.

i normally tilt the body down when changing lenses. it may lessen the dust from settling directly into the mirror.
dust on the cmos/ccd is a very common thing for dslrs. we shd be more concern changing to a suitable lens on the go to get a good shot rather than worry about dust getting into the sensor.

The camera can tolerate a little bit of dust, just like we r breathing in billions of germs every sec...

agree with likefunyouare. was once asked by someone, why do i settle for using a zoom lens rather than changing lenses. i replied 'scared of dust' ... and then realised how silly i sounded.

Stereobox said:
agree with likefunyouare. was once asked by someone, why do i settle for using a zoom lens rather than changing lenses. i replied 'scared of dust' ... and then realised how silly i sounded.

agreed. paranoid about dust! use a OSIM water vacuum to suck all the dust from your camera body. he he!

Stereobox said:

unless your lens is airtight, dust will be going in everytime you turn that zoom ring or use the autofocus... :D

justarius said:
unless your lens is airtight, dust will be going in everytime you turn that zoom ring or use the autofocus... :D

Just like to add that it depends on the type of lens:

Type A: Constant length lens, for both zooming and focus (IF/RF) - very little dust gets in as there is no exchange of air during operation.

Type B: Length of lens extends when you zoom and focus - everytime you zoom, air is sucked in, and creates a lot of turbulences that kick up lots of dust inside that would settle on your sensor.

In general, the better designed lenses and the more expensive zooms and primes are of Type A. Also, Type A lenses tend to have their internal elements much cleaner after long use.

Actually me worry more on getting the shot due to the time lag of changing len than worry about dust.

There's always something called photoshop :devil:

espn said:
Actually me worry more on getting the shot due to the time lag of changing len than worry about dust.

There's always something called photoshop :devil:

Yeah, totally agree to that. In the wakeboard shoot, I was shooting the main show with a lens, but during some waiting time, wanted to shoot some sideshow, but lens far too long for it. It kind of take far too long to change lens. A Sigma 100-300 F4 would be ideal. Not yet Buy, Buy Buy la. :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

smallaperture said:
Yeah, totally agree to that. In the wakeboard shoot, I was shooting the main show with a lens, but during some waiting time, wanted to shoot some sideshow, but lens far too long for it. It kind of take far too long to change lens. A Sigma 100-300 F4 would be ideal. Not yet Buy, Buy Buy la. :bigeyes: :bsmilie:
2 bodies with 2 different range of zoom will be ideal :devil:

aaron001 said:

I don't know if the toilet is the least dusty place to change lens but if it is, take extreme care not to drop your lens into the you-know-what.

everywhere also dusty la...its a chance thing...if kena then too bad lo...i always change outdoors with no prob le...

For me, it depend on the situation.

If u are in a place where there's a breeze blowing, i would rather let the reflex mirror face to wind, than the rear element of my lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.