changing lens

alf6901

Oct 2, 2006
do you normally turn off your camera before changing lens or just leave it on?
sometime i just leave my camera on but i am not sure will it shorten the life span of my camera..

mmm, it is recommended to turn off the camera when changing flash, lens etc. But I still do it when its on, so far nothing happen ;p touchwood.... i guess should be ok?

Yes I do turn it off but don't see a problem except you may get more dust on the sensor.

Yes I do turn it off but don't see a problem except you may get more dust on the sensor.

I think no difference if you on or off your camera since the mirror will be 'down' in front of the sensor unless you set mirror locked up while you on your camera.

I think no difference if you on or off your camera since the mirror will be 'down' in front of the sensor unless you set mirror locked up while you on your camera.

I don't know how true but I keep "hearing" from other people in many forum saying that with the power on, the sensor is electrically charged or something like that and it will attract dust. Enough people saying the same thing, it will eventually become the truth. :p

dust is all around with or without the mirror flap.

the reason why is cos there is some static charge whenever your cam is on, so by doing so, those dust nearby sensor will be sucked towards it.

so i try to off my cam whenever i change lens.

I think it's better to play safe and switch it off, it juz takes a flick of a button.
Fyi, it is recommended to turn off ur camera especially if u're using IS/VR lenses.

asked before, try a search...

Sometimes I tend to forget to switch off my cam but everything is ok....

sometime i just leave my camera on but i am not sure will it shorten the life span of my camera..

Doesn matter really. except the previous settings might still apply on the other lens like the aperture .. there was a few times in a huff i forgot to switch off.

ryan

There was once when I did not switch off while changing lens and the camera "hanged" - the AF and shutter won't work no matter what I tried - even switching off & on repeatedly. It resolved only when I took out the battery and put back - something like a hard reset. ;p

I try to remind myself to do this... turn off the cam first, swap lens, in-camera sensor clean.

of cos we try to . but always forget
don think the lens / cam will be damage

but is always BEST to off cam when remove memory card

I don't know how true but I keep "hearing" from other people in many forum saying that with the power on, the sensor is electrically charged or something like that and it will attract dust. Enough people saying the same thing, it will eventually become the truth. :p

Especially true for mirrorless camera.

Is there anything in your manual that states "Switch off before changing lenses"? If not, then all technicians and lawyers have made sure there is nothing to worry about. Worrying will only shorten your shooting fun.

to think about it .. on n off camera too often will spoil ur camera faster... isn't it?
at least.. tat's my own thinking hence i didn't bother to off it if i wanna change lens..
so far so gd.. no issue..:sweat:

I'll turn power off in case I accidentally short those electrical contacts.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

Just remember to do it and it'll become second nature in time to come... afterall, you would turn the wall switch off before taking out the plug right? Its the same analogy for me, digital body & lenses are electronically connected so why not? :think: