Changing lens w/o turning off the cam

baynald12

Deregistered
Apr 30, 2010
To all the experts need your technical expertise!!!!:confused:

Will it cause any damage or affect your camera if you forget to turn it off when changing lens?

Thank you guys.....

Last edited:
i always do that.
if it would have spoil it...it should have been spoilt by now.

it is better to turn your cam off before changing lens,
but i think if you forgot to turn it off, it is alright, coz i forgot to turn it off for most of the time already haha :bsmilie:

I do change my lens with my camera on as well. LOL! Like what w3iw3n said, if it would have spoilt, it should had been spolt long ago. However I only do that when I'm out for events. At home when I have all the time in the world, I would off it and change. :D

To all the experts need your technical expertise!!!!:confused:

Will it cause any damage or affect your camera if you forget to turn it off when changing lens?

Thank you guys.....

Not damage. But your sensor will be active and may attract dust more easily.

Thus unless you wish to go for more cleaning sessions, try to avoid it. :)

thanks guys.
Im just worried because lately I always forget to turn it off ( when outside ) when changing lens,
I only realized that I didn't turn it off after the other lens attached..

If you did not turn it off while changing lens, you just need only one chance in a million chance for the battery to give a spike in the power to short circuit to the wrong connection of your lens and burn the PCB in your lens and camera body. Yes, it just need a chance in a million. See if you are the lucky one.

Not damage. But your sensor will be active and may attract dust more easily.

Thus unless you wish to go for more cleaning sessions, try to avoid it. :)

Thank you..:)

It's a good practice to switch camera before changing lenses. Same goes for attaching the flash.

I did forget and changed lenses without switching off the camera. But nothing was fried.

If there were any risk of damaging the camera it would be mentioned in the manual. Every manufacturer would do that in order to prevent masses of complaints and warranty issues. The manual of many Canon cameras (even older ones, not just DSLR) does not contain any hint of "switch off before changing lens".
Looking at a Canon lens mount it easy to see that there is a simple safeguard in place: pins transmitting power are connected last when mounting and disconnected first when unmounting. Also, they have a different level to avoid any contact with data pins. More details about EF mount: Wikipedia: EF lens mount
Let's not scare ourselves with rumours and freaky "It could happen" stories.

I do change my lens with my camera on as well. LOL! Like what w3iw3n said, if it would have spoilt, it should had been spolt long ago. However I only do that when I'm out for events. At home when I have all the time in the world, I would off it and change. :D

weird logic... ur cam need how long to turn off ah? :dunno:

anyways in reply to TS, don't think it'll cause any problem, but suggested by my manual to switch off before switching lens.

smtms tend to forget...or due to circumstances for a fast change...but it's ok...I feel switching off is to play safe...if rem, just play safe...

if u got time, then do so. if no time dun care

keep offing and oning wont spoil easily meh? i never off when i change lens, my 1DS mk3 i 2 yrs old now and havent spoil a bit yet

Keep changing lens won't spoil easily meh? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

You sensor got a lot of dust-bunnies or not?

Now I know who not to buy from when looking for 2nd hand 1DSm3. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
wont kena dust one lah

When your sensor is powered on, it will have electrical charge going through it, it will create static around the sensor, and will dust magnet, attracting dust to it.

You were saying you are worried that the on-off switch will break due to over use due to turning on and off when changing lens. That is one of the most classic piece of kiasu kiasi bull I heard in a long time. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Last edited:
What system are you using? While I didn't come across any Canon manual suggesting to turn off the camera, I've seen that pretty much mentioned everywhere in Nikon Manuals. Even Thom Hogan confirms it in his site,
Turn the camera off. Nikon's been telling us to turn the camera off before changing lenses, and it's never been more true. If VR is active when you remove the lens from the camera, weird things can and do happen.

Personally, I've changed the lenses without powering off the camera many times, but that's because of my negligence and not a deliberate effort. As we move on with the new breed of lenses with complex electronic circuitry, it's always a good practice to turn your power source (camera body) off before detaching or attaching lenses.

OI! what has that post got to do with this? Full metal body ok!! dont play play, what tofu?! kena DRAGGED by jay chou's AE86 also wont spoil ok! Btw, nice one :D

So? Just turn the bloody camera off when you change lenses la. Aiyoh.