changing lens at public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xie Zhichun

Apr 9, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
hi, just want to check whether is changing lens in the public bad for the camera and the lens? im afraid dust might get into the dslr and damage the sensor or something. please advise me thank you :D

I change lens anywhere (whenever I want to).
Sooner or later dust will get in (but will not damage anything), so why restrict yourself ?

If you scared of that, then it may not be a good idea to use a interchangeable lens system.

Unless you meant by changing lens in the rain with the lens mount facing upwards facing the rain....

so long as you take proper considerations before changing lens, it's ok to change lens anywhere....The "usual" considerations is
- is the wind blowing towards you?
- any water splashing at you? (i mean the rain and wind blowing it towards you)
- anyone sneezing at you

if yes, just turn your back against those "factors" then change lens in the camera bag.

I usually change lens in the bag with my back against the wind.

Another point to note, when changing the lens, make sure your lens mount is facing the ground (to prevent dust from landing on your sensors *gravity, things falls*)

btw, even with all the proper/careful/consideration/super-tactful way of handling the lens changing, still one day get sensor dust....sooner or later.

*Worry less, shoot more*

Last edited:
hi, just want to check whether is changing lens in the public bad for the camera and the lens? im afraid dust might get into the dslr and damage the sensor or something. please advise me thank you :D

Erm. Then.. where do you think is a better place to change the lens? Since you're saying doing that in public is bad.

It will be OK as long you do it right and do it quick..Unless you are in really horrible weather such as in a sandstorm or etc.. Then yea that's totally a different story.

If dust get in..No worry you can always DIY or send to cleaning services at the care center.

For how to change lens..you can do a search on Youtube. Plenty of videos :)

You want to go home and change mount and travel to your location again meh?

Just change lens anywhere you need. Only place where it isn't such a good idea is at the beach on a windy day, where sand can get into your camera. Dust can easily be blown off but sand, especially if damp, can be hard to clean off. Either way, if you need to change lens, you have to do it. Cannot say whether it is good or not.

This has gotta be a joke right? You can change your lenses anywhere, as long as it comes with some common sense.

Just change lens anywhere you need. Only place where it isn't such a good idea is at the beach on a windy day, where sand can get into your camera. Dust can easily be blown off but sand, especially if damp, can be hard to clean off. Either way, if you need to change lens, you have to do it. Cannot say whether it is good or not.

Have u experienced sand stuck on sensor ?

Have u experienced sand stuck on sensor ?

Stuck? Your sand comes with glue? ;-)

But, yes I have. One quick puff with the rocket blower I always carry and it was gone.

sorry, it didn't cross my mind that changing lenses need to done discreetly, can not do it in public.......

I do it in public often, hope nobody get offended if I change lenses in front of them.

sorry, it didn't cross my mind that changing lenses need to done discreetly, can not do it in public.......

I do it in public often, hope nobody get offended if I change lenses in front of them.

Be careful lah, later kena stomped for indecent lens changing.

police will catch.

point the body down towards the ground when changing. that way will minimise any dust getting into the body...unless there is upward wind current then too bad.

This has gotta be a joke right? You can change your lenses anywhere, as long as it comes with some common sense.

SURELY YOU JEST

Are you afraid of "indecent exposure"?
Forget the scaremongers, change your lens wherever you want. Dust is everywhere and as long as you are not next to road works or inside a car wash there is nothing much to worry. Some people's home can have more dust than the outside. Get a blower to clear dust from the sensor or lens if required. Happy shooting.

use a changing tent loh
HAHAHAHA

I try not to worry about dust too much. I like the "worry less shoot more" saying. I do avoid changing lenses during rain or sandstorms though.

Xie Zhichun said:

Changing lenses anywhere for 6 years and counting. Of course like others say, exercise some common sense, if in rain doing so is risky for your camera; if in zombie apocalypse situation doing so is bad for you...

Status
Not open for further replies.