Changing CPU power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon

Jan 18, 2002
Hi all

Is the changing of CPU power supply difficult? Planning to get one of higher power. Computer freezes frequently lately and has problem using the cdrw. Pls advise.

Tks. :)

Originally posted by Falcon
Hi all

Is the changing of CPU power supply difficult? Planning to get one of higher power. Computer freezes frequently lately and has problem using the cdrw. Pls advise.

Tks. :)

Just unplug the power cables, unscrew the old one, screw in the new old and plug the power cables back to your drives and such. ;)

Originally posted by AdamGoi

Just unplug the power cables, unscrew the old one, screw in the new old and plug the power cables back to your drives and such. ;)

The HEC power supplies are pretty good, if you want to upgrade.

Or take this opportunity to change to a newer, nicer casing as well.

Regards
CK

Anything else that I need to consider. I am new to this. Seldom open up my CPU casing. Will there be any compatibility issue or need to make any changes to bios?

Originally posted by ckiang

The HEC power supplies are pretty good, if you want to upgrade.

Or take this opportunity to change to a newer, nicer casing as well.

Regards
CK

Er... I want to minimize the number of items that I need to remove from the CPU. I am not familar with assembling of computer.

Originally posted by Falcon

Anything else that I need to consider. I am new to this. Seldom open up my CPU casing. Will there be any compatibility issue or need to make any changes to bios?

For only changing of PSU or CPU casing, there will no issue compatibility nor is there any need to make any changes to bios.

Shld take less than 10 mins work if you follow AdamGoi's step. Pretty much it.

Assuming you have an ATX PSU, it should be relatively simple to change.

Get a good one, e.g. HEC as recommended by ckiang, should solve all your power problems. I would recommend the single fan version which is quiet. The double fan really doesn't help much in cooling. I have both ;p ..

Originally posted by Acieed
Assuming you have an ATX PSU, it should be relatively simple to change.

Get a good one, e.g. HEC as recommended by ckiang, should solve all your power problems. I would recommend the single fan version which is quiet. The double fan really doesn't help much in cooling. I have both ;p ..

Speaking of HEC PSUs, there was a big hooha about rebadged HEC PSUs that they bought (dunno from what source, but it's not from the local distributor, I think.)

Anyway, the issue should have been solved.....
Just to tell you if you are intending to get a 2nd hand one from somebody off the net....
I'm also not sure on how to tell the differences between the rebadged ones, but i think, it should be rather safe to get them from a proper source... :)

Change power supply will do... don't need to change casing lar.. :eek:

Originally posted by Wolfgang

For only changing of PSU or CPU casing, there will no issue compatibility nor is there any need to make any changes to bios.

thats what you think. My Enermax Power supply (the one with the manually adjustable fan speed) is incompatible with my Microstar 6163 Pro motherboard (fails to boot). Works fine on newer Asus and Gigabyte boards. So my 6163 Pro is still using my old come free with case PSU.

Originally posted by erwinx

thats what you think. My Enermax Power supply (the one with the manually adjustable fan speed) is incompatible with my Microstar 6163 Pro motherboard (fails to boot). Works fine on newer Asus and Gigabyte boards. So my 6163 Pro is still using my old come free with case PSU.

Oops.. my bad. ;)

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Oops.. my bad. ;)

well at least u learn from my expensive 'mistake'. The PSU is just lying around until i change my computer, and since RAM prices went up again... have to wait long long.... :confused:

Originally posted by erwinx

well at least u learn from my expensive 'mistake'. The PSU is just lying around until i change my computer, and since RAM prices went up again... have to wait long long.... :confused:

Yeah.. so did the prices of HDD! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.