Changing Airline - TIme Interval Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

denzelwng4

Jan 12, 2010
Hi all,

It is our 1st time to celebrate holiday season (Xmas) in different country.

To save up, we use budget airline and using Sg to KL and KL to Philippines...

Im just concerned if our flight interval timing in KL is sufficient enough, here's the details:

Going:

Departure from Sg to KL (Air Asia) arrival: 5:35pm and transfer another airline (Cebu Pacific) at 8:55pm departure to Philippines.
- is 3 hours and 20 minutes enough to go through immigration, take check-in bags and check in to next airline.

Return:

Departure from Philippines to KL (Cebu Pacific) arrival at 8:10pm and will transfer to another Airline (Air Asia) at 10:30pm departure back to SIngapore...
- is 2 hours and 20 minutes enought time to go through immigration, take check-in bags and check in to next airline

Hoping to get some advice or experiences to share.

So sorry, this is our first time in KL and Philippines...:)

Thanks for reading.... All the best!

Den............

You booked two separate flights?

I would say immigration can be a hit and miss matter, and I won't risk the 2 hour 20 minutes timing... Transit is another matter altogether.

Save the trouble fly direct if possible.

You may have unexpected delays that eat into the timing you allowed for, to effect the transit.
The airplane can sit on the tarmac for long time, while the pilot tries to explain the delay.

If you go through KL airport to transit luggage, what if:

Luggage stolen.
Valuables stolen from luggage
Luggage lost and sent to somewhere else.

Don't rule this out. Can become very expensive way to travel.

Last edited:
KL budget terminal is a little chaotic but generally a 3 hr buffer should be enough.
That is if the plane arrives/takes off on time. Had some friends whose flights rescheduled at short notice and their plans were all in disarray.

edutilos- said:
You booked two separate flights?

I would say immigration can be a hit and miss matter, and I won't risk the 2 hour 20 minutes timing... Transit is another matter altogether.

Yah, to save some bucks... :) what do u mean immigration is a hit and miss? Is it the queuing or they wont allow me to enter KL? :)

cks2k2 said:
KL budget terminal is a little chaotic but generally a 3 hr buffer should be enough.
That is if the plane arrives/takes off on time. Had some friends whose flights rescheduled at short notice and their plans were all in disarray.

Now i am thinking of re-scheduling my flights like making a 4 hour intervals on both... At least it'll be enough... 4 hours is ok, right? :)

ricohflex said:
Save the trouble fly direct if possible.

You may have unexpected delays that eat into the timing you allowed for, to effect the transit.
The airplane can sit on the tarmac for long time, while the pilot tries to explain the delay.

If you go through KL airport to transit luggage, what if:

Luggage stolen.
Valuables stolen from luggage
Luggage lost and sent to somewhere else.

Don't rule this out. Can become very expensive way to travel.

I see, maybe next time ill take the direct flights.. But ticket purchased already... :(

hard to say. i take budget few times already delay a few times also. lol if no delay good for you, but i rather fly direct.

3 hours is more than enough.

But why do you think you need to go through immigration? You're just transiting in the airport, not exiting and touring kl.

With Cebu Pacific, pal, tiger, even sq... quite a few options, I'm surprised if airasia was still cheaper

3 hours is more than enough (if no delay), both flight land and fly from LCCT right? My experience in LCCT from exiting from the parked plane, walk a long journey, to clear immigration and luggage, about 30 minutes mostly, peak season stuck at the immigration then longer.

Booking longer interval now will be like gambling whether delay or not, and how long. Delay or not depends on your luck... can be 10-20 minutes, can be few hours, buy travel insurance? My worst one is 9-10 hours from budget airline, happen only once, but I not rushing my time so its ok. Good luck. Delay on Airasia for most of my flight now about 10-20 minutes, but very seldom already, sometime they even arrive earlier, the pilots speeding...

Rashkae said:

But why do you think you need to go through immigration? You're just transiting in the airport, not exiting and touring kl.

I think we need to go out immigration and take our check in luggages... Its different airline transit... Right? :)

JohnJon82 said:
3 hours is more than enough (if no delay), both flight land and fly from LCCT right? My experience in LCCT from exiting from the parked plane, walk a long journey, to clear immigration and luggage, about 30 minutes mostly, peak season stuck at the immigration then longer.

Booking longer interval now will be like gambling whether delay or not, and how long. Delay or not depends on your luck... can be 10-20 minutes, can be few hours, buy travel insurance? My worst one is 9-10 hours from budget airline, happen only once, but I not rushing my time so its ok. Good luck. Delay on Airasia for most of my flight now about 10-20 minutes, but very seldom already, sometime they even arrive earlier, the pilots speeding...

Thanx for sharing bro... At least i have an idea now of a real scenario...

Rashkae said:
With Cebu Pacific, pal, tiger, even sq... quite a few options, I'm surprised if airasia was still cheaper

Thanx... :)

Just my $0.02....................for 'established' airports like Changi, Incheon, Hong Kong, Zurich, KL and Vancouver a 2-3 hour transit timing between different airlines is enough. You do not need to pass through immigration and as long as the boarding pass for the next flight is pre-prepared for you, its a simple affair to disembark, walk to the next gate and board your next flight.

However, if you're going to transit via an airport that is less efficient, then be careful. Don't forget that your luggage will have to be removed from the plane, sorted and then transferred to the next airline. Some airports still rely heavily on manual labour to sort and transfer baggage and accidents do happen all the time. Its just a matter of whether you're 'lucky' enough to be that person. Also during the winter season transiting at North American and European airports can be risky because of the chances of bad weather delaying or cancelling flights.

Cheers

denzelwng4 said:
Hi all,

It is our 1st time to celebrate holiday season (Xmas) in different country.

To save up, we use budget airline and using Sg to KL and KL to Philippines...

Im just concerned if our flight interval timing in KL is sufficient enough, here's the details:

Going:

Departure from Sg to KL (Air Asia) arrival: 5:35pm and transfer another airline (Cebu Pacific) at 8:55pm departure to Philippines.
- is 3 hours and 20 minutes enough to go through immigration, take check-in bags and check in to next airline.

Return:

Departure from Philippines to KL (Cebu Pacific) arrival at 8:10pm and will transfer to another Airline (Air Asia) at 10:30pm departure back to SIngapore...
- is 2 hours and 20 minutes enought time to go through immigration, take check-in bags and check in to next airline

Hoping to get some advice or experiences to share.

So sorry, this is our first time in KL and Philippines...:)

Thanks for reading.... All the best!

Den............

Its a risk that u r taking. Taking budget airline, they r famous for flight delay and the delay can be up to 3 hours.

If u r taking regular airline, it's safer.

Be sure to buy travel insurance

Just my $0.02....................for 'established' airports like Changi, Incheon, Hong Kong, Zurich, KL and Vancouver a 2-3 hour transit timing between different airlines is enough. You do not need to pass through immigration and as long as the boarding pass for the next flight is pre-prepared for you, its a simple affair to disembark, walk to the next gate and board your next flight.

However, if you're going to transit via an airport that is less efficient, then be careful. Don't forget that your luggage will have to be removed from the plane, sorted and then transferred to the next airline. Some airports still rely heavily on manual labour to sort and transfer baggage and accidents do happen all the time. Its just a matter of whether you're 'lucky' enough to be that person. Also during the winter season transiting at North American and European airports can be risky because of the chances of bad weather delaying or cancelling flights.

Cheers

even im going to KL i need to go out immigration and collect my bag since our transit is to different airline... :)

even im going to KL i need to go out immigration and collect my bag since our transit is to different airline... :)

You mean your check-in luggage? That can't be, I've travelled to UK and Vancouver on connecting flights before and each time my luggage was automatically transferred to the next flight for me.

denzelwng4 said:
I think we need to go out immigration and take our check in luggages... Its different airline transit... Right? :)

Nope. You're staying in the international terminal. There is zero sense in exiting the terminal only to re-enter the terminal. Unless they have some retarded limitations no other airport in the world does.

Budget airlines does not recognized thru check like legacy airlines.. So TS is correct he has to clear immigration, pick up his checked in luggage and do check in at KUL for his next budget airlines flight.
Budget airlines concept is point to point carrier.
TS, budget airlines in my experience always delay 30-40 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.