elias601

Aug 3, 2007
Pasir Ris
Saw this beauty in Changi Village today. First birdie try. Appreciate C & C

Horn4.jpg

HB14.jpg

Horn7.jpg

Long time no see...

That is a good one.... U chasing bird now?

Very well taken! Angle and Composition is :thumbsup:.

What lens were u using ?

Cheers!

Nice shots of the hornbills breeding on the mainland after a long absence. Hope other shooters will take care not to disturb the birds though.

Nice shot on the last one... would have been a powerful shot if you were directly behind it.

Thanks Guys for the feedback
Only about 15-20m in front of me, yet, discreet and well camouflage enough not to disturb them for sure....- which is very important.

Cheers

Good shots!:thumbsup:
Didn't know we have hornbills here.
May I know which part of Changi Village are the birds?

Good shots!:thumbsup:
Didn't know we have hornbills here.
May I know which part of Changi Village are the birds?

I am gonna be anti-scoial here and say that don't let every one know. There is a nest there and any disturbace may cause the mother to abandon the kids.....;p

yup. some earlier attempts at nesting in Changi have failed, with the adults abandoning the nests, perhaps due to human disturbance.

if you want to look for hornbills to photograph, Ubin is the best place, especially the forest around Chek Jawa. But even the trails around Pekan Quarry and near the village are good spots to see the birds.

Nice timing on the last one. Will look nice and cute if can do a tight crop on the hornbill ;)

Well, I dont think these hornbills here are disturbed by people as their nests are just right above the food centres area . There are heavy traffic, buses, noise pollution, people sitting below, smokers, loud noises. If they had want to abandon their nest, they would hav done it and hide in the jungles or Ubin to do so.
I am sure many of the customers below at the food areas, see these birds all the time and who knows god forbid, maybe had done worst thing.
We photographers are more responsible people, who knows the need to preserve nature and its environment and I believe would be more discreet in our actions I hope.

Well, I dont think these hornbills here are disturbed by people as their nests are just right above the food centres area . There are heavy traffic, buses, noise pollution, people sitting below, smokers, loud noises. If they had want to abandon their nest, they would hav done it and hide in the jungles or Ubin to do so.
I am sure many of the customers below at the food areas, see these birds all the time and who knows god forbid, maybe had done worst thing.
We photographers are more responsible people, who knows the need to preserve nature and its environment and I believe would be more discreet in our actions I hope.

Firstly, great shots! Especially the one with the female peeking outta the nesting hole. However, I do agree with budak that there are known sites to photograph hornbills without imposing unwanted stress/disturbance that would endanger their nesting success.

Yes, the hornbills are probably used to this "baseline" amount of disturbance at the nesting area but publicising the nesting area could possibly INCREASE the disturbance beyond what the parent birds deem as tolerable. It is possible that some photographers would "go-the-extra-mile", staying around the nest for hours just to get that perfect shot, and unknowingly attract the attention of predators (plus other kay poh Singaporeans) that may cause the parent birds to give less than optimal care for their young.

It would be good to read one's birder's experience and stand on being "selfish" and why he doesn't publicise active nesting sites:
http://besgroup.talfrynature.com/2008/02/23/breeding-kings/

Status
Not open for further replies.