Changi MRT

appleshem

May 25, 2010
Singapore
www.flickr.com

Changi MRT.

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
In What area can I improve this picture, or is there any PP improvement i could have add ons.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
After i touch up this picture, i still feel that there is still something amiss..hoping to future improve my future pieces.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Picture taken 3 shots exposure +2, 0, -2 Handheld with a Nikon D7000
Merge with Photomatix Pro.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally thinks that the picture is abit grainy, and should have been placed on a tripod.

I hold my comments on the post processing for the moment.

Why this scene? Why this composition? A composition should mean something by itself, and the subsequent processing to enhance its effect.

My basic question to you is, Could you express what is it about this composition that you find attractive/interesting? Disregard the post processing, what does the raw image say to you as the photographer?

Humble comments,

1. I think the attractive feature of this scene is Lines formed by the elevator which might be improved if you position yourself right at the centre and go lower a little. Depending on the crowd you might want to wait for the people to move away first.

2. It's just me but I don't think HDR is needed here. Handheld made the pic look blur esp when you merge 3 pictures which do not match exactly. Maybe just choose the single pic with the better exposure and play around with levels or curves to bring out the shadows while not overexposing etc.

Why this scene? Why this composition? A composition should mean something by itself, and the subsequent processing to enhance its effect.

My basic question to you is, Could you express what is it about this composition that you find attractive/interesting? Disregard the post processing, what does the raw image say to you as the photographer?

Two observations about these questions:

1. I'm not sure why a composition should "mean something by itself," or whether it is even possible for an image to have as objective meaning independent of the person perceiving it. Ten people might view this image and have 10 different ideas about what it "means" to them.

2. Sometimes (perhaps often) a photographer or viewer is unable to express what they find attractive or interesting about an image. But that needn't make the image any less attractive or interesting to them. Sometimes what we grasp visually and emotionally as a "right brain" experience defies a "left brain" expression in language.

It's fine to pose these questions and to discuss them. My point is that the aesthetic value of the image doesn't necessarily depend on the answers different people might offer. A "good" photograph might not require any "good" answers to such questions.

Two observations about these questions:

1. I'm not sure why a composition should "mean something by itself," or whether it is even possible for an image to have as objective meaning independent of the person perceiving it. Ten people might view this image and have 10 different ideas about what it "means" to them.

2. Sometimes (perhaps often) a photographer or viewer is unable to express what they find attractive or interesting about an image. But that needn't make the image any less attractive or interesting to them. Sometimes what we grasp visually and emotionally as a "right brain" experience defies a "left brain" expression in language.

It's fine to pose these questions and to discuss them. My point is that the aesthetic value of the image doesn't necessarily depend on the answers different people might offer. A "good" photograph might not require any "good" answers to such questions.

Thanks Peano, :) Interesting 2nd observation, hope you wouldn't mind contributing something to this little thread here. :)

I only really ask these sort of questions when the details aren't included in the writeup. What I meant in a composition having a meaning is yes, it should mean something very clear to the photographer. If a photograph is taken without rhyme or reason it's usually a snapshot or other. To me, it's not so important whether I understand what it is or if I interpret it the same as the photographer, more so the latter knows what is him/her doing. With that clarified, the photographer knows in the heart what their direction is and where their artistic sense is taking them; they don't have to be swayed by what the other 10 people are saying. Same so if they are able to express in words what they find attractive about their image.

I hope to challenge the posters to analyse their thought process and get a better understanding of themselves in photography. If we spend 5mins to compose an image, do we ask the question why it took so long? What makes a image better, what makes it worst? This happens mostly in our hearts and minds, and rarely expressed out. Bits and fragments of their thoughts will help to clue us into their world, it doesn't have to be a coherent sentence or even a feeling/emotion which one can expect others to have felt. No matter how long you need to stare into your image or look deep into yourself there is a connection there and you should know what it is.

Maybe it sounds a little confusing. Simply put, dear photographer, answers to those questions are not meant for me. The answers are for you. Taking photos and posting them here aren't the only way to improve, knowing yourself helps just as well.

Think it'll look alot better if you converted it to black and white and bumped up the contrast a bit. :) good idea! :) no one chased you away..?

Hi,
your shot is relatively well composed (there's nothing wrong about it).
But personally I think it is lacking interestingness on the subject matter.

thought something like this would enhance the effect on the travellators:

and if i am not wrong, that area has no security guards, at least for that time i was at (during airshow last year).

Nevertheless, keep shooting! I like to revisit places that I have taken before to re-compose my shots to self-improvise.

My humble and non-philosophical thoughts....

I like:
- The powerful, converging lines;
- The symmetry of the composition.

I don't agree to:
- The HDR treatment (non value-add). You effectively kill off the sense of depth, which is very crucial for such a pic.
- The color temp is too warm.
- Too noisy (due to HDR)
- Carelessness in cropping off the handrail on the left.

I would like to see:
- More emphasis on motion/movement, eg a larger (nearer), blurred person on the escalator.
- More tone in contrast... perhaps a contrasty b/w version, with cir vignette.
- If your frame allows, try a square crop, if not, a 16:9. Your current aspect is neither here nor there, me think.

Cheers

My humble and non-philosophical thoughts....

I like:
- The powerful, converging lines;
- The symmetry of the composition.

I don't agree to:
- The HDR treatment (non value-add). You effectively kill off the sense of depth, which is very crucial for such a pic.
- The color temp is too warm.
- Too noisy (due to HDR)
- Carelessness in cropping off the handrail on the left.

I would like to see:
- More emphasis on motion/movement, eg a larger (nearer), blurred person on the escalator.
- More tone in contrast... perhaps a contrasty b/w version, with cir vignette.
- If your frame allows, try a square crop, if not, a 16:9. Your current aspect is neither here nor there, me think.

Cheers

Thanks alot! Noted! you guys helped alot!! Now i know what i missed out! :D

you could also try jazzing up the colours a bit in PP...
5634098667_9926660dd8_o.jpg

This is impressive! THE stairway to heaven

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Picture taken 3 shots exposure +2, 0, -2 Handheld with a Nikon D7000
Merge with Photomatix Pro.

This dun works (for HDR). the travelator is a moving object, so you will not get the exact same image when u first 3 shots of different exposure, when comes to mapping wise, you will have "double visions" in your image.

This dun works (for HDR). the travelator is a moving object, so you will not get the exact same image when u first 3 shots of different exposure, when comes to mapping wise, you will have "double visions" in your image.

Now i think i know why it looks abit weird.. :D

This is my views. so take it as pinch of salt

Composition: it is a symmetry which is quite easy to spot. The cut off on the left is a no no.
Light: nth u can do about it becoz its all artificial light.
Story: no story. maybe some motion blur of somebody on the travelator can tell a great story. but i know its not yr goal.
PP: its not heavy on the HDR.