Changi beach

KCsnapshot

Mar 21, 2012
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
i would like to seek advice on composition and post processing

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Attempting long exposure seascape as i like the surreal look

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Shot was taken on a sunny day with a panasonic gf1 with 9 stop nd filter. Tried different locations but was not able to find any interesting foreground subject. Finally decided to climb down to a small beach area that was blocked off by some fence. Went with black and white as sky was pretty dull.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
This was the best i could get after walking around changi beach for 2 hours. Wish that the tide was higher for a more foamy look. Was glad that there was nothing distracting in the background. A pity there was some seaweed/leaves on one of the poles. Did not notice it before as always....Thanks in advance!

Untitled by KC*, on Flickr

The sun and reflection is too far left in the frame. If possible, could have move more to the right for a better angle and get the sun a little more to the centre.

The black and white treatment is less dramatic be because there are no distinct subject/ interesting foreground for viewers to lay their eyes on. You have strong highlight at the far left and dark shadows at the far right, my eyes immediately get caught on the blown highlights at the left, and then got lost when I don't see anything else at the right.

The photo lacks an interesting subject IMHO.

Thanks mgohzxc. I agree that the sun is too far left. initially wanted to crop it out in post but decided not to as it looks weird after.

Thanks yrh0413. when i framed the photo i planned for the front rock to be the foreground interest and let the eyes follow the rest of the rocks in. But like you mentioned it lacks an interesting subject so i guess that part failed. Perhaps it would be better like mgohzxc suggested to put the sun in the middle so the eyes are drawn to it. And to process it in color. will keep that in mind. Thanks

suggest losing the sun and reflection at left, backlight correction or dodging the right side of the photo to bring out more of the shadow detail of the rocks.
7568053298_827b280e53_o.jpg

Last edited:
Ic thanks zaren!

As suggested Zaren. I cropped out the highlights and tried to bring back the shadow details as best as i could since i dont use photoshop. Also left it in its original color as yrh0413 mentioned that its less dramatic in bw

As suggested Zaren. I cropped out the highlights and tried to bring back the shadow details as best as i could since i dont use photoshop. Also left it in its original color as yrh0413 mentioned that its less dramatic in bw

better...can also expose more of the shadow detail of the rocks and make the colours more vibrant.
7568839240_fdd57b9800_o.jpg

Yea the reflection on the left is very distracting...

wow..nice..Mod Zaren what Photoshop software you using for the above pic?

Yea the reflection on the left is very distracting...

wow..nice..Mod Zaren what Photoshop software you using for the above pic?

i used Photoscape and Irfanview.

Thanks zaren!.Anymore shadow recovery adds too much noise for my liking. Will try shooting multiple exposure at different points and attempt a HDR image next time.

Last edited: