Changi Air Base

Status
Not open for further replies.

quikwhitefox

Sep 28, 2006
North, Singapore
Need some comments on this photo. I wanna blow it big (12R?) to print... Is the B&W ok?

F16PanoramaBW.jpg

Nice tonality. Framing is nice too. May want to dodge a little on the man and machine. 12r will do fine.

i'd crop it into a panoramic format for a nicer feel. This shot makes the plane look tiny.

Besides what others have mentioned, the composition looks more balanced this way, in my opinion. Sure taking the man and that little hill out will simplify things a bit, but it cuts off the effect of scale and human interest.

Going a little OT, I am surprised you managed to get such a photo and get it out of camp. The army is touchy about these things, so do not get caught doing it.

Oh.. Dont worry.. no security issues with this photo. Was taken at a Media open House for the National Day Parade. All the planes, people and base posed for us. =) Rare 'once-a-year' opportunity.

I purposely shot the dude there to show the man + machine effect.. plus the sky was awsome!

Oh.. Dont worry.. no security issues with this photo. Was taken at a Media open House for the National Day Parade. All the planes, people and base posed for us. =) Rare 'once-a-year' opportunity.

I purposely shot the dude there to show the man + machine effect.. plus the sky was awsome!

I see.

Well, your intended purpose has worked well...for me at least. If only the hill in the background were not there.

Oh yea.. annoying hill... It was something like a barrier so we couldn't see some stuff.. bo pian. The rules of the shoot was that we could not take any pics of the base's building or any base structures, only men and machines.. =)

Need some comments on this photo. I wanna blow it big (12R?) to print... Is the B&W ok?

F16PanoramaBW.jpg

Firstly, I would like to say its a well captured moment.
I also agree that it will look nice in a panaromic format.

However, it would benefit from more contrast. It is too 'grey' now. Most digital cameras are not really that apt in getting images that are comparable in contrast to traditional black and white film (eg Illford Delta, Kodak T-Max)

Something like this i suppose :

ec69760c.jpg

What i did was reduce the dynamic range by increasing shadow detail (Shadow/Highlight-Photoshop), and then increasing the contrast, and then brightness to match.

But its still your personal preference how much to go. Just a suggestion :)

Nice... If only that guy is holding the flags (or "light baton") used to direct planes.... It will be even better! :cool:

ooi ! how come allow to take photo of airbase ? " sensitive ! :nono: :sweat:

hm, abit of tighter cropping will do the job nicely

just abit of OT. i suggest that photos from the military shouldnt be posted online at all due to privacy and security concerns. you can get into alot of trouble for doing that. *shrug*

just my 2cents.

ooi ! how come allow to take photo of airbase ? " sensitive ! :nono: :sweat:

Oh.. Dont worry.. no security issues with this photo. Was taken at a Media open House for the National Day Parade. All the planes, people and base posed for us. =) Rare 'once-a-year'

read lah.

i'm surprised they allowed it though. awesome pic nonetheless... I see these guys take off almost everyday.

read lah.

i'm surprised they allowed it though. awesome pic nonetheless... I see these guys take off almost everyday.

Sigh.. i think i explain dunno how many times liaoz.. we were INVITED TO TAKE PHOTOS BY SAF.. so I was just doing my job.. haha.. it was for their publlicity.. anyway.. the rules were no CAB buildings or structures.. planes and people oK! we see them at all the airshows dont we?

Nice picture. But the B&W processing could be better. Too much grey, not enough contrast.

Nice picture. But the B&W processing could be better. Too much grey, not enough contrast.

Could you maybe give me some tips on how I can achieve a 'true' B&W from a colour photo using photoshop? I keep using the desaturate option then keep burning and dodging till i get a somewhat 'greyish-black' finish. Anyone can help me out with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.