Change from Nikkor to Tamron? 24-70 has VR!

Third party lens quality cannot be compare to Nikon when you talk about distortion / sharpness / focusing speed / details / image, if you compare on price yes the different is very big from 33% to 50%. This kind of lens is make for amateur who have tight budget (entry level) not for professional.

To be fair, he didn't say that.

He did.

I hope by 3rd party.. he realized the Carl Zeiss is also 3rd party :bsmilie:

He said: "This kind of lens is make for amateur who have tight budget (entry level) not for professional."
That doesn't mean they aren't using it. There is a huge difference.

He said: "This kind of lens is make for amateur who have tight budget (entry level) not for professional."
That doesn't mean they aren't using it. There is a huge difference.

I don't think you have to be too anal about the exact wording, the implied meaning is kinda clear.

If that's the case, may I rephrase Kit's question to Kenneth Chen?

"Why do you think 3rd party lenses aren't for professionals?"

I don't think you have to be too anal about the exact wording, the implied meaning is kinda clear.

We don't know if he implied anything. Sometimes it's good to take the words just as they are. ;) Anyway, if that's so obvious then the answer is obvious too, no need to ask. 3rd party lenses don't have a good reputation overall. Isn't that common sense?

Last edited:
ageha said:
3rd party lenses don't have a good reputation overall.

Oh really? I think otherwise. I recognize that there is some subjectivity in this topic, but it wouldn't be objective to conclude with that statement.

Oh really? I think otherwise. I recognize that there is some subjectivity in this topic, but it wouldn't be objective to conclude with that statement.

Of course not, nobody said that. I wouldn't mind buying a Sigma or Tamron lens but I didn't talk about me.

3rd party lenses don't have a good reputation overall. Isn't that common sense?

Every maker has certain issues. If you're referring to Sigma, Tamron. Tokina, because they are offering cheaper alternatives their build may not be that good and QC may have certain issues.

But that doesn't spare the fact that own makers such as Canon and Nikon doesn't have their share of sh1tty QC issues though.

I'm not sure because that it's not own makers, they are being "bashed" more and thus people think sticking to their own brand is better or feels better because of the "hey my lens is Canon/Nikon/Sony/whatever it's not 3rd party lens".

It just seems to me that these "3rd parties" are kinda being disregarded just because they are "3rd party" and when their product has a problem, people goes "oh it's 3rd party what do you expect" kindly of reaction.

Or the typical consumer would rather buy a typical kit lens than better alternatives like the Tamron's 17-50 f/2.8 for crop sensors just because the lens is from own maker.

i believe 3rd party lenses do serve as an attractive alternative to the original manufacturers, provided you buy the 'right' lens.

regardless, to each his/her own but to make such a sweeping statement is probably telling every seasoned photographer and other photographers that the person is very much misinformed and misguided.

When someone decides to argue for the sole purpose of hearing himself talk, we can leave him at it. CNY is near. There's lots to do. Spend your time where it counts :)

But selection of a lens cannot be just based on the manufacturer.. IMHO its always very subjective to the individual and the lens.

A professional using it does not mean that if I use it I also become professional. Go with what works for you.

nikon 24-70 also got barrel problems go search ard...but i believe not as bad as tamron due to the build.

Agree but I think the problem with nikon arises over time due to usage (correct me if im wrong) unlike my friend's case wherein his lens is practically bnew.

Third party lens quality cannot be compare to Nikon when you talk about distortion / sharpness / focusing speed / details / image, if you compare on price yes the different is very big from 33% to 50%. This kind of lens is make for amateur who have tight budget (entry level) not for professional.

Not really.. to be fair.. you win some you loose some. (price aside)

And what kind of professional you mean. 1 who put food onto the table.. or some world famous kind. (FYI..some are sponsored..so they "had" to use)

Your statement is like saying...use 3rd party lenses means amateur and on tight budget. Which is already not very true actually..

But selection of a lens cannot be just based on the manufacturer.. IMHO its always very subjective to the individual and the lens.

A professional using it does not mean that if I use it I also become professional. Go with what works for you.

Every brand have their winners and losers. 3rd party or original equipment manufacturer.

Using Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 mid zoom lens. This type of lens does not require VR its heavy - solid all you need is to hold the camera steadily. In the old days when I was using suing Nikon film camera here was no VR at all and we produce good picture. Third party lens cannot compare with original lens quality? No matter what features extra they have? Trust me.

Using Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 mid zoom lens. This type of lens does not require VR its heavy - solid all you need is to hold the camera steadily. In the old days when I was using suing Nikon film camera here was no VR at all and we produce good picture. Third party lens cannot compare with original lens quality? No matter what features extra they have? Trust me.

Yes, we need more people like you to boost the economy. ;)