Chanced upon a wedding photography session

evolutioner

May 7, 2010
P1030982.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Basically everything, since i'm still learning

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I was trying to capture the couple getting ready for a shot before setting the doves free. I kinda felt that for their happiness, the birds are actually a tool for them, and trapped in the cage.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Photo was taken when i was walking around taking street pictures and important monuments in a town i stay, trying to learn while shooting. Then chanced upon a wedding photography session in the park. Time was in the mid-day where sun is shining at it's brightest.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Not much, which is why i'm seeking opinions here.

I think you realized correctly that there was a moment worth capturing in front of you. In time to come, you will have your own preferences for camera / lens settings, as well as your own way of framing the shot (assume that you are a new 'learner' from what you described). I am also learning everyday, not only from pros but even from people who don't know what a camera is.

Judging from your pic, the people there are Westerners. I have a feeling that they will not chase you away if you walked closer to capture the cage, the birds, and maybe some of their joyful expressions. The gap in-between the two trees will be wider too. One other fringe benefit is that you will also lose the crane, cables and the warehouse in the background, which does nothing for the idea you are trying to express.

Hope this helps.

Once again, I need to put a disclaimer - I am not the world's top photographer, and don't pretend to be one.

yup, thanks for the response, learnt 1 thing from it, walk closer would have widen the gap btw the trees..

but since it's their wedding photoshoot, i thought it's kinda inappropriate to interrupt them and there were way more ppl than those appear in the photo..

once again, thanks a lot!

I really like the shot, apart from the distraction caused by the big yellow crane overhead. Perhaps you should have cropped it or taken a landscape shot excluding the blue skies. Move in a bit closer as phazed1 has mentioned and focus on that gorgeous bird cage.

What a wonderful scene to chance upon though. *beams*

Getting in a bit tighter would help create a stronger image.

The crane, power lines are distracting and on my screen, the dress has a lot of blown out sections. Underexposing might have helped here so you could recover some of the highlights.

THanks for posting and sharing!

actually i managed to capture the moment they released the birds.. and had 2 birds frozen in flight, having their first try at freedom..
but the rules here says only 1 pic allowed..

initially my idea was framing the couple with the large green trees, but totally didnt realise the cables and the crane.. :x

btw, thanks a lot~

Nyce shot there...i believed them being westerners..i dun think they mind if u go nearer...the crane and the wire on top of the pics sucks big time...

The color is not natural. Look at the sky and the shadows area in the bride's dress. It's bluish and the contrast is to high. In term of composition, you place the object too center. And the crane in the sky is so annoying.

trust me.. the sky is extremely blue that day..
this pic was taken in russia, last week, in the middle of super hot summer..

i came back with tan lines after shooting some pics.. lol

actually i managed to capture the moment they released the birds.. and had 2 birds frozen in flight, having their first try at freedom..
but the rules here says only 1 pic allowed..

initially my idea was framing the couple with the large green trees, but totally didnt realise the cables and the crane.. :x

btw, thanks a lot~

1. If you got the other picture, there must be a reason why you chose this instead of the other for critique.

2. If you did not carry a long tele lens to have that tighter crop, you can also do the crop post processing.

trust me.. the sky is extremely blue that day..
this pic was taken in russia, last week, in the middle of super hot summer..

i came back with tan lines after shooting some pics.. lol

The sky was extremely blue yet that is not depicted in the picture. I don't feel the blue sky in your picture warrants having the crane, etc in... may be better to just crop it out altogether.

The couple is already nicely framed in for a nice crop but too many other things in the picture.

i have no idea why the color turned out to be this way (greenish)..

actually, this has already been rotated, cropped, and some lighting adjusted..

oh yea, u can check the exif, it's not a dslr.. although i can actually zoom in a whole lot more..

thanks a lot wildcat for ur constructive opinions~ :)