Chance to see a new TV ad before it goes on air or is this another Time Share thingy

Status
Not open for further replies.

yqt

Sep 8, 2004
East of Singapore
Just got off the phone with a lady who sound like one of those Time Share thingy.
She started off saying that they are from an ad company and are sending out samples at my postal code of a TV ad which is not aired on TV yet and I got selected to recive it.

Lady: In order to recive the sample, we need to check if you fit the profile of our client
Me: OK
Lady: Are you and your wife Singaporean?
Me: Yes
Lady: Are you and your wife over 35?
Lady: Do you and your wife use a major Credit Card when overseas?
Lady: Do you and your wife earn more than $5K/mth
Lady: Do you have a digital camera?
Lady: Oh! actually if you said you don't have one,we'll give you one for free, you just have to pay for the postage.
Me: OK
Lady: OK you fit our profile. What you'll recive is a 14 day stay in Sha........and Hil.... chain of hotel which you and your wife can use anywhere in the world and you'll have a 10 days holiday in ............ where you'll take photos of your holiday and when you get selected you win .............

She go on about getting prize for my photos, holidays overseas, hotel stay, etc......
At this point I stop her and ask her:
Me: What do I have to do?
Lady: Oh all you have to do is, if you're able to come down on the 30th so that the traval agency people can show you how to use their website and......

At this point I got fed up and told her:
Me: Look here, I think you better do some homework before you start something like this.
The reason I have a digital cam and know how to use it is because I'm a photographer in the advertising industry. No advertising company or their client will spend thousands of dollars to produce a TV ad, which is not air yet, and just pick people off the street and sent them a sample of the ad for them to see to test the market. You can be sued off your pants by the client. Usually Advertising agencies will have a pool of people called their test audience. These people are specially selected by the agency and clients and the test showing will be done in a closed room by the agency. Are you sure you're from an ad agency and not some time share company?
Lady: No, we're not a time share company.
Me: which agency did you said you're calling from?
Lady: I'm calling from J and ......
Me: And the client is?
Lady: Oren...... Tra......
Me: Look, you already said I fit your profile. How do you know that I'm not working for your client's competitor? I can see the ad, tell my client about it and you get sued by your client.
Lady: But we're not a time share company. We're working for Oren..... Tra......
Me: OK, OK, anyway, I'm working in this industry and I know that this is not the way test market is done for a TV ad. You don't mind being sued but I don't want to be part of it. You guys better do your homework before coming up with something like this.
Lady: Oh, OK.
Me: Have a nice day.

Does this sound like a time share thingy to you? I know it sure is not a test market for a TV ad that's not aired yet.

definitely has time-share written all over the call.

they called me and told me the same thing sometime last year. i told them i heard some bad press out about the company O* T*. she then passed me on to this ang mo who tried to convince me by saying that all the complains made to case about O* T* were investigated and subsequently found to be traced to one particular IP address. i still didnt sound convinced so he said good day and hung up the phone :p

oh yeah...the tv ad he claimed would have been shown in jan 2006. hehe..so now they say that it hasnt been aired yet huh? :think: :bsmilie:

so the " TV ad " was ready last year but still not launch yet? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
maybe they're waiting for next year's CNY to launch it :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

yqt said:
Just got off the phone with a lady who sound like one of those Time Share thingy.
She started off saying that they are from an ad company and are sending out samples at my postal code of a TV ad which is not aired on TV yet and I got selected to recive it.

I wonder why you were giving her all that information. For one, it's NoneOfTheirBusiness, and in a society flooded with advertisements, why would one be interested to voluntarily watch another in the first place?

If telemarketers ask me questions and I don't just hang up, I tend to respond by asking them questions, too. Like, how much money they're being paid for this job.

LittleWolf said:
I wonder why you were giving her all that information. For one, it's NoneOfTheirBusiness, and in a society flooded with advertisements, why would one be interested to voluntarily watch another in the first place?

If telemarketers ask me questions and I don't just hang up, I tend to respond by asking them questions, too. Like, how much money they're being paid for this job.

Usually I would first want to know how they got my no. if they can't give me a reasonable answer, I'll request them not to call me again. But in this case, she intro herself as an advertising agency and being in the same industry, I guess curiosity got the better of me. The later part where I told her what is usually done, well I was a little piss off and just letting off some steam.

LittleWolf said:

depending on my mood i do that sometimes :bsmilie: i ask them if they have any job vacancies. usually that catches them off-guard. then they ask why. then i tell them so i can call ppl up and bug them too. :p

madmacs said:
depending on my mood i do that sometimes :bsmilie: i ask them if they have any job vacancies. usually that catches them off-guard. then they ask why. then i tell them so i can call ppl up and bug them too. :p

well....... you can call them back on their phone no you know............. :think:

Now telemarketing are not no gov lor, everyday will get different call, and property agents are one of them :angry: :angry:

clarinet said:
Now telemarketing are not no gov lor, everyday will get different call, and property agents are one of them :angry: :angry:

I usually get SMS from property agents. Just delete lor.

I believe the same company called me. However it was a man.

Anyway what I told him that if they were sincere, they could give my "secretary" a call to fix an appointment and come down to give me the 2-3hr presentation.

Of course they put the phone down shortly....

yqt said:
well....... you can call them back on their phone no you know............. :think:

haha..i kind of recognize their number now.. so i know who is calling beforehand :bsmilie:

latest was naughty by nature...let them talk talk talk and make appt for me..then never go :sweatsm:

yqt said:
I usually get SMS from property agents. Just delete lor.
now they can have different method, call say you win prize, got a house somewhere for free, and dunno what rubbish :bsmilie:

madmacs said:
haha..i kind of recognize their number now.. so i know who is calling beforehand :bsmilie:

latest was naughty by nature...let them talk talk talk and make appt for me..then never go :sweatsm:
i almost wanted to make them go to my lawyer firm and i don't turn up :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

1 word, OWNED!

Hahahahha.

BTW threadstarter, the test audience is called focus group but yea you're right, NO AGENCY or client will ever allow unknown members of the audience to view a TVC in advance. Unless those are members of the focus groups.

singscott said:
Wow kena this kind of sh*t from them and you tell them have a nice day.:dunno: You must be a "NICE GUY":bsmilie:

They're professional mah, so I have to be professional with them also what. Anyway, don't want to go DOWN to their level also.

G-man said:
1 word, OWNED!

Hahahahha.

BTW threadstarter, the test audience is called focus group but yea you're right, NO AGENCY or client will ever allow unknown members of the audience to view a TVC in advance. Unless those are members of the focus groups.

Hahaha. Yes, that's right, it's call a focus group and not test audience, my bad. Use to be a in one of those at one time. Guess it was not her day to have pick me ;p

Brother, Orien*** Trav** is a time share scam company. There's a few timeshare companies that are reputable and OT is NOT one of them.

Timeshare is not all bad as many put them out to be... I thoroughly enjoyed my timeshare apartment (for 6 persons) on my last trip to Melbourne.

yqt said:
Hahaha. Yes, that's right, it's call a focus group and not test audience, my bad. Use to be a in one of those at one time. Guess it was not her day to have pick me ;p

how to be one of those? i want to watch TV and get paid :bsmilie:

philliptan said:
Brother, Orien*** Trav** is a time share scam company. There's a few timeshare companies that are reputable and OT is NOT one of them.

Timeshare is not all bad as many put them out to be... I thoroughly enjoyed my timeshare apartment (for 6 persons) on my last trip to Melbourne.

You're lucky that you got yourself a good and reputable time share company. Not many are as lucky as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.