Chan Brothers! What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Have a dilemmna here which I would like to hear your opinions...

About 2 to 3 weeks ago I went down to Chan Brothers Travel to book a tour package to China. While there, we asked about the number of people who had booked on that day and the tour consultant said that they have another upcoming travel fair (which was on last sat and sun) and more people will join up. Knowing that usualyl travel fairs give better deals, we wanted to wait for the fair before we book but he assured us that we will get the same deal as the fair if prices were lower etc. SO we booked.

For the travel fair we came to know that they were giving out freebies such as coffee maker or a mini fridge although the price of the package was just $10 more than what we paid. So I called the consultant this morning and he said no more freebies liao...I said WHAT? and he replied that he will go talk to his manager and call me back. Now still waiting for his reply.

I have to see what he says before I decide what steps to take...btu I was thining if he says he cant do anything...I should go talk to his manager...if they still wont make up that freebie maybe ask for cash rebates? What if they still say cannot? Complain to CASE?

Ok some may think I am cheapskate but the point is we are being penalised for actually booking earlier? And we had wanted to book at the fair but he assured us that we will get an equal deal to what was offered during the fair. Comeon...a mini fridge cant cost $10????

Very peeved now to be honest:angry:

?!?! He only assured you of the price? Did he mention anything bout the gifts when you book? BTW, the agent is not oblige to entertain you. But i think you're likely to get ur gift. :) Complain to CASE or bring them to court also no use.

No he never mention anything about gift...but he DID mentioned we will get an equal deal to what was offered at the fair...feel like somehow I was conned through this manipulation of gifts...

IMO, don't get so worked up over a mini-fridge! Easily available so frequently with petrol deals, credit-card promotions etc. You sure you want to waste precious hours of your life chasing around for a free gift, which in my experience is usually of poor quality and will just end up occupying space in your store-room?

I am not keen on having those 2 freebies cos to be honest I dont drink coffee or have a need for a mini fridge...but its all about fairness in the deal...I reckon those 2 would have costed more than $10...

Astin said:
So u want to pay Chan Brothers $10 more to get the free coffee maker instead?:think:

Er dunno leh..I dont need them...but it does make me pay more overall than those at the fair...when I could haev booked at the fair...

As Astin has asked, you want to pay $10 more for a coffee maker? If I had been given the free gift and they had offered to buy it back off me for $5 I would have gladly obliged. Forget about it and enjoy your holiday, in the big scheme of things it is a really trivial matter.

boroangel said:
No he never mention anything about gift...but he DID mentioned we will get an equal deal to what was offered at the fair...feel like somehow I was conned through this manipulation of gifts...

Then they din con you what. No NATAS certified agent will con you. In this situation, you can write a letter to NATAS. But its unlikely they will be about to do anything other than giving Chan Bros a warning. Sometimes, the person who attended to you and assured you simply forgotten bout your booking and his/her promise to you. And the gifts run out liao, so he lan lan.....speak to manager and get scolding.... not approve, call you to inform you.....get scolding again.....not a good day huh?

You get a little cheaper fare minus the gift only. I think (Think only ah) Chan Bros will offer you something else as goodwill. If not, just let them know your displeasure (Call the manager) and dun do business with them in future.

Just enjoy your Queen and holiday la. :)

boroangel said:
Er dunno leh..I dont need them...but it does make me pay more overall than those at the fair...when I could haev booked at the fair...
Honestly, when u booked early, u got early confirmation for yr holiday, thats a privilege. Ppl booked later at the travel fair do not have that privilege, the holidays they want may have sold out BEFORE the travel fair. If u wait until the travel fair, yr chosen holiday may not be available anymore (the date or the destination).
U win some u lose some.

Yeah...maybe I am just too petty and cheapskate...see what they say first...anyone has any idea how much these freebies cost?

afbug said:
Just enjoy your Queen and holiday la. :)

Thanks afbug...think I going to bring the songs there so I can listen while admiring the views of Lijiang and Zhongdian high up on the mountains...while taking my super duper amatuerish newbie photos too...

You booked early so that you can be assured that the tour is not full on that day. The tour consultant even agreed to get you the fair price should it be lower. In this case, I think the tour consultant has kept his word.
;)

Besides, I am sure they would have sold tours to the point whereby the freebies ran out.
:)

boroangel said:
Yeah...maybe I am just too petty and cheapskate...see what they say first...anyone has any idea how much these freebies cost?

I have no idea how much they cost. But i can tell you that its likely that the person who attended to you and assured you simply forgotten bout it. If his boss is nasty, he will have a one hell of a time.

Here is how they work:

Counter/sales stuff sells and attend to customers. Once they get your booking, its handed over to the operations dept. They (sales/counter) do not handle your booking anymore till your tickets are ready. And he/she is unlikely to make a note to remember your booking cos they handle many customers in a day.

He actually kept his word. You got a cheaper package and gifts are 1st come 1st serve. :) Even if you book during the fair, you're not guranteed a gift rite?

You should thank the consultant. Saved you the hassle of rubbing shoulders with sweaty people at the fair, taxi fare to go the fair etc. Plus those el cheapo coffee makers and mini fridges are dirt cheap in china. I dont know why you're fretting over a lousy coffee maker or and even more usless fridge. Good coffee makers and mini fridges cost a few hundred dollars and I'm sure they werent giving those away.

Ok I feel much better now after all your enlightening...

boroangel said:
Ok I feel much better now after all your enlightening...

Forget bout all this. Just let freddie's voice in A winter's tale and China's beautiful scenery transport you to the clouds......feel like floating.....feels cold (Winter in China?) and scary (Freddie's dead!) :bsmilie:

Just enjoy your holiday and don't let this trivial matter spoil your day. As long as teh price is the same then ok what. In this case it is cheaper.

even if you did manage to get something out of them.. but that time, you would have suffer from from the anxity and lost a great deal of sleep.. in that case you are losing even more.. going to case will disrupte your daily life even more

in any case, you have not "lost" any amount of money technically.. you only missed out on a oppounity to grab some savings

all in all.. what i have to say is that... move on and forget about it.. that will make you more happy

Status
Not open for further replies.