Challenger's $30 Dry Box?

ahmad0420

Mar 6, 2010
Yishun
www.shadefotoworks.com
Anyone bought this black drybox with humidity "meter" thingy at challenger? Is it a good one for a camera with a kit lens and prime lens?

The thingy is called a hygrometer. cheap and usable. Dry cabinet would be much better/easier. Anyway, I am still using a dry box.

i'm using it, troublesome cause need to change sila gel and also estimate to regulate the level.

got it for $25 thou

Anyone bought this black drybox with humidity "meter" thingy at challenger? Is it a good one for a camera with a kit lens and prime lens?

Please read up on all the old threads of Dry Box vs Dry cabinets.

If you had done so, you'd understand that most of the users here would advocate that you invest in a good quality dry cabinet such as Digi-Cabi or Akarui.

ouh okay. saw it in funan challenger. really unsure of the effectiveness. what's the best level of humidity again?

Please read up on all the old threads of Dry Box vs Dry cabinets.

If you had done so, you'd understand that most of the users here would advocate that you invest in a good quality dry cabinet such as Digi-Cabi or Akarui.

Read up and it's obvious dry cabinet is a better choice. But my situation, fits better for a dry box instead.

So wanna ask about this particular offer of the drybox.

Read up and it's obvious dry cabinet is a better choice. But my situation, fits better for a dry box instead.

So wanna ask about this particular offer of the drybox.

if you mean is the $30 price tag a good offer from challenger, ahming111 already said he got his for $25. i also got mine for $25. you can ask around most shops in funan.

if you dont have much and dont plan on getting much, a dry box is enough. im using one myself. but its getting to be a bit full haha

Yeah, Dry Box is fine for a starter until you eventually overcrowd it..by the way I am still using it and got it @ $25.

rZ

Ok thanks guys. My only concern is the accuracy and effectiveness, but more to accuracy of the hygrometer of these cheap dry boxes. will go up once again to check out.

Think its better to get a dry cabinet instead... for less hassle... its quite affordable nwadays...

Not easy to get optimum humility using dry box.

Ok thanks guys. My only concern is the accuracy and effectiveness, but more to accuracy of the hygrometer of these cheap dry boxes. will go up once again to check out.

There is NO accuracy as the humidity constantly changes. And you can't control the sillica gel either. Either replace all or leave it. And most of the time, by the time you realise the humidity is at a dangerous level, it already has been sitting there in that condition for some time.

So for a thousand dollar investment, do you think it's worth to save the little bit of money which could equate to mebbe about a 8gb normal CF card?

ouh okay. saw it in funan challenger. really unsure of the effectiveness. what's the best level of humidity again?
Again, it's in your camera manual. that's this booklet that came in the camera box. Go and check for it, there is one chapter for storage conditions.

Again, it's in your camera manual. that's this booklet that came in the camera box. Go and check for it, there is one chapter for storage conditions.

Mine said "dry" though.

TS, most willl recommend 35% - 60%.

Mine said "dry" though.

TS, most willl recommend 35% - 60%.

i would say more in the range of 40-45% would be optimal

Thanks guys, saw the same one I mentioned priced at $22 at TK Photo.

My only concern with dry cabinet is the power usage. As I am not living in my own house, I need to maintain my electricity usage. Decided not to get the dry box YET as my rental room does not have much space now.

Thanks zac08 for the detailed reply.

You can get it for less than S$22. :)

My only concern with dry cabinet is the power usage. As I am not living in my own house, I need to maintain my electricity usage.
The consumption of a 30l cabinet is given as 5W, 350l is stated as 10W consumption. A month has about 720h in average, do your Math whether you will notice something at the end of the year.